S7420 vs s7320

• Thread starter Indigo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Indigo

Reaction score
just curious, whats the difference between these 2 ibanezes?
S5407? i'm interested in an s series 7 string

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I believe the S7420 has an edge trem of some kind, and the S7320 has a ZR ball bearing trem. I think anyway.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
The ZR is a double locking ball bearing trem, it has extra springs inside which makes tuning stability better. You can see more about it in the specs of the S series guitars on the ibanez website. I'm not a big trem user so I'm not much help.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The S7420 was an older Japanese made model. The trem on it was a TRS which isn't great but isn't as bad as people make out. The trem can easily be replaced with an OFR if it bothers you. The necks on these are EXTREMELY comfortable.

The S7320 is a newer Indonesian made model. The ZR trem is awesome, but IMHO the neck profile on these is nowhere near as comfortable as the S7420, it's much flatter / squarer / more D shaped.

conorreich

Momento Mori
Reaction score
zr trem makes sure there is no noise when returning to zero point and also if you break a string it doesnt flop down i believe. edge trem is what you see on basically every other ibanez

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
technomancer pretty much covered it. I'd also add Made in japan = ibanez top quality control, made in indonesia = ibanez's worst quality control, theres a good chance your guitar comes with tiny fret ninjas that are going to try to slice your fingers off etc.

The ZR trems claim to not go out of tune when a string breaks is false it flys out of tune like any other trem. The ZPS system that comes with the ZR trem makes it stiffer to divebomb with the trem and is the reason why the arm holder in it breaks.

Its purpose is to slam the bridge back down to a center point so that it doesnt stick and leave the guitar slightly flat after a dive that often happens with knife edges. Since its on ball bearings theres no reason to have the ZPS in unless you like a stiffer trem and a broken arm holder.

The TRS 1 trem is an amazingly good trem high quality etc. The TRS2 trem is a piece of crap that ibanez made later on for cheaper guitars etc and it sucking gave the TRS 1 a bad reputation but by no means is the TRS1 a bad trem.

AZ7

Hello World
Reaction score
Thanks for the post and responses on this topic. I played on my first S7 last week and liked it a lot. I had played on many of the 6 string S models but wanted to try the 7 and finally did. So being that I played the floor model and I'm picky, I had them order a new one for me and I should have it Tuesday.

I did notice a few imperfections, but I figured it was from being banged up on the floor - so I'm hoping it's not a QC issue. As for the fret ninjas, I did notice those as well. I noticed that all the 6 string S's I've played on have nice necks and never had any fret ninjas and the necks were really nice. So now I'm a bit worried about what I get, but its to be expected

I have the Loomis FR and love it and it's gonna be hard to compete against. So hopefully this won't be a purchase of disappointment or regret.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I used to own an S 7420 and I miss it much. Although it had a lo-trs trem, it still played really well and it was very comfortable. It's also MIJ. :yesway:

yansdgr

Reaction score
i have one of those s7420 play very well but having a real probleme whit the stability of the tunning everityme i play it all string get out of tune but i think i can fix that but realy nice trem and guitar as well

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
I'd like to add that the S7320 was originally built in Korea, not Indonesia. Not sure if that's better, because I've only played Korean ones, not Indonesians. Generally people consider Korean to be better, so who knows.

And for some reason, my arm holder hasn't broken yet, even though I have been using it with ZPS for almost 2 years now.

')