S8 Build, Eight String Saber

Superwoodle

Chris Woodle
Reaction score
Yes. The RG2228 isn't what I'd call an ideally balanced instrument, though the super heavy bridge and full thickness body do help a lot. It's not awfully out of balance, but strap style and position are key.

Your Saber will likely have a heavier headstock, heavier neck, and a slightly lighter body. Those factors are a recipe for neck dive.

All I'm saying is that you should be mindful of the balance. Even the most beautiful, finely crafted guitar will suck to play if you have to fight to keep it in your hands.
I’ll defiantly keep those factors in mind. Thanks.
I moved the horn further and the neck back about a total of .75” I’m not quite sure where the ideal center of mass should be though (Pink origin).
untitled5.jpg

Cardboard
100_0062.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stupidspoge

Reaction score
I assume it should be about midway between the strap buttons.
In your plans, the top horn is pretty thick looking. I would suggest making that a little thinner. It causes the center of gravity to move towards the headstock too.

SJT2

Luthier Vandross
Reaction score
I think this is one of the best ideas ever. If this guitar balances out I'm sure it will play and sound amazing. I have my S7320 in my hands and I can picture another string on it with no problem. Get to work so I have something good to read!

Good luck.

Superwoodle

Chris Woodle
Reaction score
[
I assume it should be about midway between the strap buttons.
In your plans, the top horn is pretty thick looking. I would suggest making that a little thinner. It causes the center of gravity to move towards the headstock too.
I planned to do that, it was a little too difficult to preform that contouring and I'm Lazy.

I’m still searching for solutions to help with preventing neck dive, possibly a titanium truss rod, or carbon fiber inserts, but I made small miscalculation with my drawing (solid brass tuners=heavy) , so I changed them to solid aluminum, though I’m not sure how much Sperzel open locking tuners weigh and sent them an Email. So ASSUMING those tuners don’t weigh more than solid aluminum, my Center of mass moves to:
untitled6.jpg

which, from balancing several guitars on my hand, is ASSUMINGLY about where the center of mass needs to be to prevent neck dive.

Also, I went through my collection of wood looking for some maple.
100_0063.jpg

Got wood? I got plenty.:agreed:
Most of it have been in my garage for 40 years and its mostly mahogany, like that 14”x74” piece, but I have 6 beams of unknown species that might be suitable for several other necks (hint, hint future projects ) If I can find out what they are made of.
100_0064.jpg

These pieces are of cherry, pine and maple, all about seven to eight feet long
After the great endeavor, I came out with these:
100_0065.jpg

I think they are made of maple. I will start making the neck tomorrow.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Wow. Dude, I can't comprehend that you're my age and doing this, you're insane and awesome. SUPER excited to see how it turns out.

Superwoodle

Chris Woodle
Reaction score
Next weekend came a little soon…
Cutting and gluing tomorrow!
100_0117.jpg

Chopped of the sides via table saw.
100_0118.jpg

Right to Left: Bottom, Top, Planed
100_0122.jpg

Here is my basic construction I’m going for:
untitled7-1.jpg

But I’m not quite sure how this method will work and how the alignment of the bamboo will cope with the stress from the strings. If someone can enlighten me whether it would be stronger to do a scarf joint or if it wouldn’t matter.:scratch:
100_0125.jpg

100_0126.jpg

To cut down weight, I plan to use a truss rod like the one here:
Carbon-Glass Truss Rod | Cycfi Research
And use one of these:
STEWMAC.COM : Carbon Fiber Neck Rods

tybro7

SUPERTED
Reaction score
very interesting build.. sounds and looks like it will be successful one! love the computer generated drawings man!!

Superwoodle

Chris Woodle
Reaction score
Just Enjoyed a three day weekend. :hbang:
Photos!!
100_0128.jpg

100_0129.jpg

100_0134.jpg

100_0201.jpg

10 Degree Jig!
100_0203.jpg

100_0204.jpg

100_0206.jpg

Jointer Jig!
100_0209.jpg

100_0210.jpg

I planed down the headstock piece to .58”
100_0213.jpg

100_0217.jpg

A big tip for any other neck bamboo-ers, do NOT hand plane WITH the grain or fibers, it rips out chunks:nono:, although, it is safe to plane at an angle, like the scarf joint surfaces.

Now I have to start emptying my wallet…

')