S8 Build, Eight String Saber

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Superwoodle

Chris Woodle
Reaction score
Empty the wallet! Its for a good cause. Looking good dude!
The problem is my wallet is kind of empty to begin with.. hehe

Any way, The neck came out great for a first time scarf joint!
100_0001.jpg

100_0002.jpg

I hope to order some Sperzel open locking tuners in the next few days.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Wow... coming together really nicely!

capone1

ss.org-erererererer
Reaction score
The problem is my wallet is kind of empty to begin with.. hehe

Any way, The neck came out great for a first time scarf joint!
100_0001.jpg

100_0002.jpg

I hope to order some Sperzel open locking tuners in the next few days.

It sure did very nice!

Talk to Todd at tk. He's got your Sperzel poison.

flo

Reaction score
Thumbs up for this project! Looking really good so far, and the Saber is my favorite Ibby :)

Really curious how the bamboo neck turns out!

If your guitar should suffer from neck-dive you can always add some weight to the body, for example increase the electronics cavity and put some steel blocks into it (heavy metal ftw!), or make an extra cavity for it. The further away form the neck, the more effective.
I haven't got experience with aluminium trussrods, but they should decrease the mass of your neck.

Superwoodle

Chris Woodle
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone!
Thumbs up for this project! Looking really good so far, and the Saber is my favorite Ibby :)

Really curious how the bamboo neck turns out!

If your guitar should suffer from neck-dive you can always add some weight to the body, for example increase the electronics cavity and put some steel blocks into it (heavy metal ftw!), or make an extra cavity for it. The further away form the neck, the more effective.
I haven't got experience with aluminium trussrods, but they should decrease the mass of your neck.
I'm probably going to make a truss rod like the one here, Carbon-Glass Truss Rod | Cycfi Research
if not, then I'll use titanium.

It sure did very nice!

Talk to Todd at tk. He's got your Sperzel poison.
Awesome defiantly getting them from there. Too bad the the particular model is out of stock.

100_0008.jpg

100_0007.jpg

It fits!

flo

Reaction score
Carbon-Glass Truss Rod | Cycfi Research

Cool link, thanks! Yeah it sounds indeed very promising, I'll have to try and make a carbon fibre trussrod, too ;)

Nice progress on the headstock!
If bamboo really is suitable for guitar building (wich I really hope), then it is probably the most environmentally friendly material for it. You're doing some relevant research here:yesway:

djowel

Reaction score
Hi! I got here from link-backs to my site (Cycfi Alpha | Cycfi Research). I've been researching into the use of alternative materials for guitar building. The results are pretty amazing. CF and Bamboo complement each other's tone. I'm currently doing an audio demo of the thingy.

Check out the site for more information. I tried to be as extensive as I can with my research.

Here's a pic of the final Carbon Fiber-Bamboo Guitar prototype:

j-512.jpg

Reactions: XEN

djowel

Reaction score
Carbon-Glass Truss Rod | Cycfi Research

Cool link, thanks! Yeah it sounds indeed very promising, I'll have to try and make a carbon fibre trussrod, too ;)

Nice progress on the headstock!
If bamboo really is suitable for guitar building (wich I really hope), then it is probably the most environmentally friendly material for it. You're doing some relevant research here:yesway:

Thanks! Check out the rest of the site! :) I've been into alternative materials research for guitar for a couple of years now. I can say this: Bamboo *IS* indeed a suitable "tonewood". Just be careful with the inherent resonance of the material you are using. Each bamboo species has its own unique tone and not all sound good.

Check out the rest of the articles, if you will: Cycfi Alpha | Cycfi Research

djowel

Reaction score
But I’m not quite sure how this method will work and how the alignment of the bamboo will cope with the stress from the strings. If someone can enlighten me whether it would be stronger to do a scarf joint or if it wouldn’t matter.:scratch:

I scarfed mine to align the grains in the correct direction:

Scarf-Joint-Ex.jpg

I think it matters, but I haven't tried it the other way, so I am not entirely sure. Bamboo flexes in the direction of its grains and it will not flex as much if not scarfed. I'm guessing the resonance and sustain will be affected, but again, I am not sure.

(just edited my reply) I see now that you decided to scarf the neck. Good! :)

Superwoodle

Chris Woodle
Reaction score
Hi! I got here from link-backs to my site (Cycfi Alpha | Cycfi Research). I've been researching into the use of alternative materials for guitar building. The results are pretty amazing. CF and Bamboo complement each other's tone. I'm currently doing an audio demo of the thingy.

Check out the site for more information. I tried to be as extensive as I can with my research.

Here's a pic of the final Carbon Fiber-Bamboo Guitar prototype:

j-512.jpg
Wow thanks for the info. You did inspire me with your truss rod design. How efficient does it function compared to a regular truss rod?

djowel

Reaction score
Bamboo cuts pretty smooth, it’s only a little harder than maple.
Decided on making a Scarf Joint.

Depends on the species. The one you are using is most probably Moso (typically used for flooring). Interestingly, the Moso bamboo I tried was (according to my tests) a bit softer than hard maple. Another factor is the age of the culms. The older, the harder.

In my prototype, I specifically chose the hardest species available.

See:Bamboo Preparation (part 1) | Cycfi Research

However, I am having second thoughts because my choice was TOO hard to machine! Router bits easily dull! Next time, I'll investigate manufactured bamboo planks again. Carbon Fiber over-compensates for overall stiffness anyway.

djowel

Reaction score
Wow thanks for the info. You did inspire me with your truss rod design. How efficient does it function compared to a regular truss rod?

It's amazing! I'll have a follow up article on that where I will show the rod easily holding 100kgs (220 lbs) without any signs of fatigue. I'm sure it can do a lot better than that, but I'm not sure I have the courage to test it until failure :) I probably should, but I need a good safety test harness.

For reference, a 6-string guitar pulls 40~50Kgs (~110 lbs).

')