Sabre Guitars launch stock series range

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Ive been following on Facebook lately. Whats the wait for a custom 7? Something like that Talon but Mahogany body and maple top, snakewood fretboard, wenge/mahogany neck.

Less than 6 months
6-12 months
12+

Thanks

By the way, that lower horn cutout is insane!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
At the moment our build time is 5-6 months. We've only ever had one build take more than 7 months (its actually in the final stages at the moment) but it was estimated at 8 months at the beginning of the build due to its complexity and we're pretty much going to be spot on.

(The build mentioned above entailed installing a heavily modified phaser pedal and controls into the body of the guitar, plus a fernandez sustainer FSK-101 and then also having the body painted with a true Chrome finish which just in itself meant the body being sent out to an expert painter for 2 months. )

Generally Ghosts take roughly 4-5 months and Wraiths take 5-6 This is all dependent mainly on the condition and moisture content of the wood when it arrives at our workshop. Sometimes its pretty perfect and sometimes we need to season it down to a proper moisture level before we can work with it which can take a few weeks. That said, if it turns out to be the case we generally work on other areas of the build (neck.fretboard/covers) etc. whilst that's happening.

For a while last year after I bought my business partner out, we had to make do renting time on a local CNC machine which meant builds were harder to schedule however now we're back in a new premises with our own machine again. Things are running along nicely !

The only thing "build-time" related which I should mention is that (Talon and Syren aside - as this is a separate enterprise) in order to prevent any "in**ctus-esque" situations we limit ourselves to a maximum of 18 builds on our order book at any one time, (spread out over our build time at roughly 3-4 per month) We are just about to hit that threshold and in that event we operate a waiting list with a further 18 spaces. People wishing to secure a place on the waiting list only need to lay down a small 10% deposit (to dissuade people from snagging slots with no real intention of going ahead) rather than the usual 50% we take when we begin work.

Hope that all makes sense. For a full list of terms/conditions just check the "build list" page at www.sabreguitars.co.uk

Erockomania

Studio Geek
Reaction score
I think for less than $1500USD for a guitar spec'd like these is pretty awesome. Also, I can tell you from experience that Chris is a super cool dude with which to work. Great attitude and always willing to help. He also indulges me in my philosophical guitar crap! :)

I am working with him on my next build which will be a fanned fret Ghost with Buckeye Burl top, single pickup.

I might grab one of these as well. I love the simplicity.

Also, I agree on the traditional Sabre logo rather than the badge.

Zado

Reaction score
I bet they are astounding,but I don't like that kind of natural finish,it reminds me of my table :( too bad cause they are proly gonna be fantastic instruments,I often look at Sabre facebook profile...there's a very good amount of spectacular looking guitars there

Tope

rabblerabblerabblera
Reaction score
Are these being built by you personally Chris? It's just you say 'we' a lot in your replies and it makes me wonder. They look great btw.

Reaction score
Are these being built by you personally Chris? It's just you say 'we' a lot in your replies and it makes me wonder. They look great btw.

Hi Mate yes I'll be building these. The "we" refers collectively to myself and my assistant/apprentice Alasdair. :)

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Will definitely be keeping an eye on these. Any chance of a 4+3 or 3+4 headstock for the 7's?

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
Really digging the Syren 7. I think saving a bit more for a custom Ghost model is a bit more along the lines that I will go, but these do look nice to me.

witeter

Reaction score
I think for the specs and having sampled Sabre's build quality first hand-these are a steal!
+1 on keeping the original logo

danger5oh

I'm always... hungry
Reaction score
The more I look at that Talon 7, the more I want it. I also agree with most everyone else... please keep your regular logo. And I know you already mentioned that you would be keeping them natural, but what about offering a few basic stains to choose from?

Reaction score
I totally hear what a number of you guys are saying regarding the stains/colours.

I'd like to gauge some opinions regarding what direction to go on the stains front.

Ash is actually a very hard wood to stain in nice colours. A decent spirit-based black works well and very dark colours can look good, but lighter colours and fades don't work nearly as well as other woods like maple or mahogany. It also adds a number of processes to the build compared to an oil finish without stain.

Strandberg guitars for example add $200 to the price of the Boden just for a stained finish. Anyone who has seen one of my guitars in person knows the quality I aspire to with my staining. - If it ain't done right I don't see the point. I would be very interested to know who'd be willing to pay around £100-130 extra for a stain?

As it stands the only other upgrades available for now are as follows:

6 string upgrade to BKP pickups from Sabre Pickups: £100
7 string upgrade to BKP pickups from Sabre Pickups: £110

6/7 string upgrade from D profile neck to Strandberg Endurneck £45.00

Let me know what you chaps think.

We're definitely going with the original logo now. No more medallions etc.

JKM777

Reaction score
Really glad the normal logo will be on these, the medallion, i think is not as sleek and professional looking as the normal sabre logo.

I also really like the natural finish of ash and the wood combos will look really nice together. And tonally i know these are going to sound great!!!!

my one possible question, is to weather the 6 string style head stock could be used on the seven strings with 4+3 maybe? due to the intended workhorse nature of these guitars, as stated by christian, i think it may be a more road worthy and tough option, however i will be perfectly happy with the reversed headstock as this offers its own benefits.

Would be interesting to know what others wanting 7 strings on the list think ???

JKM777

Reaction score
Really glad the normal logo will be on these, the medallion, i think is not as sleek and professional looking as the normal sabre logo.

I also really like the natural finish of ash and the wood combos will look really nice together. And tonally i know these are going to sound great!!!!

my one possible question, is to weather the 6 string style head stock could be used on the seven strings with 4+3 maybe? due to the intended workhorse nature of these guitars, as stated by christian, i think it may be a more road worthy and tough option, however i will be perfectly happy with the reversed headstock as this offers its own benefits.

Would be interesting to know what others wanting 7 strings on the list think ???

Erockomania

Studio Geek
Reaction score
Endureneck option is awesome. It will allow people to get into that feature a lot cheaper. For those of us that want to try it without risking $3500 on something we may not like.... this is a fantastic compromise.

Having said that... yes, I'm still taking the risk on my custom, lol.

I really liked the IPNP when I played it, so I would imagine it is not a huge leap.

Tope

rabblerabblerabblera
Reaction score
I actually quite like the plain jane look. That said more colour options can't hurt, presuming it's not too much of a hassle for you.

')