Sagan - The Pale Blue Dot. *It will change your life.

• Thread starter hiltz171jim
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hiltz171jim

Reaction score
So I have always been into Astronomy, cosmology, all of that (which is why my Jotun being built right now is an allusion to space) and I wanted to share this here. Why? Because I feel that this is extremely important to the ways that we should view the purpose of our lives, and the effects our lives have on others, the Earth's, and the Universe. Stuff like this has changed my life IMMENSELY the past few years. And I do not need to explain why, as the video below explains everything for me. All I need to say is this; treat others with respect. Don't be an asshole, because their life is just as "significant" as theirs. Who cares about the battles between religion, politics, etc when all they do is take up our priceless time we have here on this spec of dust suspended in the nothingness of space. Make the best of your life - do what you love, be happy, make yours and others lives as enjoyable as you can, because in the end, the Universe does not care if you die tomorrow, and it won't try to stop that from happening.

I leave you with the words of a hero of mine, Carl Sagan.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
My most favorite quote by anyone ever. It really puts things into a clearer perspective and makes you realize that all the things we as a species fight over doesn't matter jack shit.

Upon hearing this, it was like my mind opening up to something even bigger than a city, state, or country. In the grand scheme of things, we're just a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Sagan is awesome. And I agree with much of your statement.

However:

Who cares about the battles between religion, politics, etc... Make the best of your life - do what you love, be happy, make yours and others lives as enjoyable as you can

Especially in politics, you have the ability to influence the process that, when it goes awry, has a measurable detrimental effects on the lives of many, many people.

Don't tune out. The rest of the world will keep on screwing your compatriots over anyway.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I've read Pale Blue Dot, and also Cosmos (which I found more life and mentality changing than PBD). Sagan was simply amazing and brilliant, a scientific ambassador to the average person with little science knowledge.

My favorite movie of all time is Contact. Also read the book and personally I think the movie was even better! I can say Carl has made a significant impact on my life in many ways since I'd been an avid fan of his work.

Rev.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This reminds me of two things...

1.) How amazing Carl Sagan was as an orator.

2.) How flamboyant Adolph Hitler was when he spoke.

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
Sagan's book CONTACT changed my life.

I got to see him speak in 1986 or so at Berea College... a profoundly impactful moment. I own the TV series COSMOS and still watch it all the time...

"To make the perfect apple pie, you must first create the universe..."

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
Sagan's book CONTACT changed my life.

I got to see him speak in 1986 or so at Berea College... a profoundly impactful moment. I own the TV series COSMOS and still watch it all the time...

"To make the perfect apple pie, you must first create the universe..."

No problem. Brb, gathering superheated star dust. And explosives.

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
Absolute hero and a hypnotic narrator.
I loved everything about that guy.

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score

I prefer this one. Vangelis makes me think of the original Cosmos, and his music really adds something indefinably brilliant to the speech.

"Like it or not, the Earth is where we make our stand."

Actually there's so many moments in the original Cosmos that give me hairs standing up on the back of my neck. It's like science evangelism, and it's awesome.

hiltz171jim

Reaction score
Actually there's so many moments in the original Cosmos that give me hairs standing up on the back of my neck. It's like science evangelism, and it's awesome.

Same. I've watched the original and the new one with Tyson, and with both I've had epiphanies and moments where I just get a full-body chill/sensation. It's wild, and nothing has ever done that to me other than astronomy. If any of you still have NOT seen Interstellar, I highly highly highly highly recommend seeing it when you can. It is by far the best movie I have ever seen (and I say that with having seen many a great movie, and let's face it, its #15 in the IMDB top 250 of all time and it is BRAND NEW). It's one of VERY few movies that has made me actually legit cry, and it was just so epic. I honestly do not have words for it. It was beautiful and it played with emotions like you wouldn't believe.

So yeah. Go see Interstellar is all I can say about it. There seriously aren't words.

Edika

Reaction score
I never heard the opportunity to read, listen or watch Sagan's work but as a physicist that actually comprehends his subject I have reached the same conclusions. The only reason I'm mentioning comprehension it is mainly has to do with the way science affects your world theory and personality. I have seen people in my discipline completely unaffected in their personal lives by all their studies.

I applaud the effort of people like him that try to inform people of basic scientific facts that could make our lives so much easier and our anxieties about trivial stuff lot less important.

Latest posts

')