Sanding now, question on wood sealer

• Thread starter 7 Strings of Hate
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibzrg1570

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the only way to tell for certain is if you're already at the wood.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the only way to tell for certain is if you're already at the wood.

Basically.

It only fills in wood grain, so, if the wood is pale, and feels rough, you should be set.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
thats where i'm at, the wood looks pale an is smooth, its just so smooth it almost feels like its sealer

B Lopez

Vescere bracis meis.
Reaction score
Rub a damp cloth on it. (Not dripping, just wring it out real good). If the water soaks into the wood a little, you're at the wood (It'll darken so you'll know you're in). You'll be able to see where you may have missed the sealer too because the color wont change.

RGGR

Reaction score
Never understand why people sand all the way through the finish to get to the wood.

Refinish: Sand smooth, prime.....sand smooth.....finish. The best woodsealer on the guitar is the old finish.....

Just get all the nicks and scratches out....and bondo/primer is great way to do this. The rest of the finish can just stay in place. Just sand it smooth.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
Never understand why people sand all the way through the finish to get to the wood.

Refinish: Sand smooth, prime.....sand smooth.....finish. The best woodsealer on the guitar is the old finish.....

Just get all the nicks and scratches out....and bondo/primer is great way to do this. The rest of the finish can just stay in place. Just sand it smooth.

well, i mean, if your not going to paint it, and your going to stain the wood, then i'm thinking it might be a good idea to sand off the sealer, and thats what i'm doing

')