Saving the Universe

• Thread starter 7JxN7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7JxN7

Reaction score
After finishing up a couple of project guitars over the past 12 months I was on the hunt for a new one, and I'm always on the lookout for another UV. So, as you can imagine when a Universe "project" gets advertised for sale, it's sure to grab my attention.

However, the seller was giving the impression the guitar only needed a refinish, new set of pickups along with fit out and set up, and it would be good to go...............

yeah.......... didn't really pan out that way....

The guitar has had a refret at one point, possibly preformed by a gorilla. A few chunks out of the fretboard around the frets, noticeable marks where the old frets were removed, a .... load of glue around the frets. The whole guitar was at one point refinished and fitted out to look like a green dot, badly. And that possibly wasn't its only ever refinish due to some of the interesting paint colours evident in amongst the various sanded areas. Black, grey (assuming undercoat), maroon?, and some of the original white is still under there in places. After being sanded back a couple of times it has also had the very square edge of the body rounded off in some spots, they were also nice enough to sand off the shelf the nut sits on at the end of the fretboard, which has now been replaced with some really dodgey looking shims. Headstock has one of those cheap Ibanez Universe decals just stuck on over the top of the black paint that looks like I could just peel it of right now. To add insult to injury, it looks like there is a possibility, however it will be difficult to ever confirm, that the scarf join has been reglued at some stage. Though it looks like this was done well if it did happen.

After asking the seller about this he says he never noticed any of it, and the guy he got it off never mentioned it either............ :ugh:

But anyway, the neck is stamped as a UV7 PWH usually is and it looks nearly identical to my other one, in amongst all the various parts there is also an original Universe neck plate that dates this to a 91 model, and the trem is a little pitted and in need of a clean however looks like a new set of saddles will have it up to pretty decent condition again.

This is going to be quite a long project for me, and i have a couple of good tech i know that I can bounce ideas off and also out source the work to, to make sure everything is done in the best way to get this poor thing back to the condition it deserves after whatever horrible things it has been through in the last 25 years.

Biggest upside to all this, this guitar has been molested to hell and back, so that kind of makes me feel like I'm not doing anything morally wrong by making some pretty big changes to what the stock PWH's where like.

First ideas for this are a HXH pickguard, a new paint job in a colour other than white or black (I'm bouncing a few different ideas of a tech friend at the moment to make this something a little bit special), and it is definitely getting a stainless steel refret. The rest of the details I will look into along the way or haven't decided yet.

Disclaimer: This project may take quite some time to finish as I have alot of stuff on this year and will have to fit in with the schedules of some other techs and luthiers to get this done.

I'm sure there are a few other things i have missed here too, but I'll try to mention them as I go along.

Also, these pics show the condition I received it in, all sanding and whatever else was done by the prior owners...

12596260_10207169133881156_644688575_n_zpsxcykguqn.jpg

12767325_10207169133721152_922485501_n_zpsuhyl4ssk.jpg

12041801_10207169134401169_1484004599_n_zpsjxheobsu.jpg

12527702_10207169133561148_54579538_n_zpsnpoy6ofr.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

weirdoku

Reaction score
It makes me sad when I see guitars treated like that, I hope you fix it up good and proper!

Slaeyer

Reaction score
Wow, hurts to see that universe in this shape.
I wish you all the best for your project!

Subbed as well! ;)

Edika

Reaction score
Will saving the Universe make you a Master of the Universe?

Interested to see how this is salvaged and back to it's rightful glory so subbed.

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
This appears to be quite a challenge of a refurb, it might be a bit racy for some but what about a Lochness Green 7? Or a Blueness green?

Either way man, I'm interested to see how you salvage her.

7JxN7

Reaction score
Will saving the Universe make you a Master of the Universe?
I don't have anywhere near the workout routine to run with the like of the masters of the universe, however your comment may have given me an awesome idea for another universe project if I ever do another - SKELETOR Themed universe! Blue, purple and yellow theme! That could look sweet!

This appears to be quite a challenge of a refurb, it might be a bit racy for some but what about a Lochness Green 7? Or a Blueness green?

Yeah this isn't going to be a small job, but I'm trying to get as much sorted before I get into it as possible. Hopefully with minimal oversights and most things worked out between me and my techs before we move ahead should have things going smoothly for us at least :lol:

I'm still not decided on colour or themes yet, but my first idea is to try and stick with white as a bit of a challenge. I personally have never been a fan of white guitars except for PWH's, and I'm brain storming different ideas for finishes or paint based on white but with something a little different. If white doesn't work, something like an interesting take on one of the other universe looks could be on the cards also

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
I love white guitars, so you get a vote from me for white. But the option of going all out and doing some racy colour is also possible due to it not really being sacrilege for PAW fans to alter this thing.

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
Do a pearlescent white. Has an extra "tint" of color of your choosing when viewed at different angles. I pearsonally would do a pearlescent white with a blue tint... Or maybe purple...

Just helping with ideas...

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
hopefully you can get this one up to snuff...

if you don't want to get too crazy, i would suggest a flat white w/ a black satin pick guard or if your feeling little more courageous, a swirl w/a clear pick guard. both would be different, but not too far from what it is...

')