Saw John McLaughlin and Chick Corea last night

• Thread starter rahul_mukerji
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
I got to see John McLaughlin and Chick Corea with their 5 piece band last night. All I can say is that those people are definitely in a realm of their own. They played at best 6 songs through 2 hrs and 30 mins, with each of their songs hitting 15 mins at least (so much for getting wowed at 8 min prog rock epics). Their last song (not counting the encore) was 45 mins.

Here is what interested me. Johns guitar tone is exactly a horn sound now. For a minute there I thought it was the saxophone playing, but then I saw John go "tweedle dee tweedle dee" on his Godin. So its very Holdsworth like in sound, but not feel. John is a very staccato man. He is the opposite side of Holdsworth. He can pick arpeggiated passages in alternate picking style at tremendous speeds. His scalar runs are very complex.

Other than that, I found it an excellent study but a rather boring concert. Yes, there was no 4/4 meter. Yes, there was not a single chord I knew, not a single progression that seems remotely familiar (Gershwin et al) nor a scale I could go "Ah-ha he used that there". All of them used very out there approaches to their playing, which made the music a little hard to digest. But the band was tight and right on. Amidst the seemingly chaotic sonic storm, each one knew where the other was. Their dynamics were insane; everyone knew when to fade out, when to fade in, when the head comes in and where the solo/improv comes in.

Meter wise, neither my drummer nor I could count. In fact, I saw only 6 people tapping their foot and all of them were out of synch with each other. So yeah .... weird timings. Only the bassist held time and some remote groove. The drummer was the most insane. I couldn't tell if he was spastic or just very talented. I'm going with the second one, since they nailed a Miles Davis tune and he played a bitchin groove on it.

John played a lot of pentatonics which seemed like he chose the tonic to be the tritone from the root note. Everyone was like that. Just really out there.

Great experience, not sure if I would see him again though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TimothyLeary

Tune in, Drop out
Reaction score
Brian blade is a tremendous drummer, but he can sound very "off" when he wants.. check his project Brian Blade Fellowship, hear the perceptual album, reeeaaaallll good!

Like you said, they maybe be in another realm, too far away from "normal" persons.. :D

troyguitar

Reaction score
Your review is pretty much how I feel about a lot of jazz/fusion/prog/whatever guys.

Yeah they are ridiculously awesome, but in the end the songs don't really grab me like some of the more "simple" stuff like Rush/DT/SymX.

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Yeah, I like groove in my music. For me, it has to be memorable. You should be able to tap and groove with it. Thats why for me Plant X and all those guys producing fantastic music in 11/8 and 13/8 dont do it. Great music, but no groove !

LTE is probably an exception there. They have a decent groove in their instrumental offerings. Thats also why I prefer Al Di Meola's music to John: more groove.

Ah well .... to each his own, I guess.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I was there last night, too. Fantastic show!!!!!

I'm into the very 'out there' stuff, and I think the Five Peace Band is excellent. They have a live CD available from their European tour, but the music has gotten wilder since then, particularly Chick's new piece "Hymn to Andromeda", which was the long piece that closed the show (other than the encore with the Miles Davis medley).

Brian Blades absolutely floored me. He's a 'flex' drummer, not a groove guy, but his playing was an incredible compliment to the other musicians. I actually favor that style of drumming nowadays, where the drummer has a musical conversation with the other players and doesn't just play a beat. Blades had moments where he seriously reminded me of Elvin Jones at his peak in Coltrane's band.

My only real complaint was that McLaughlin's sound didn't have quite enough sustain for the things he was trying to do. A little more gain might have helped, or maybe a guitar with more sustain than his Godin Freeway. He's not using the synth pickup in the Godin for this band, so he doesn't have to use that guitar.

Rahul, it sounds like you're more into composed music, like LTE or Al DiMeola's work, rather than the heavy improv that the Five Peace Band does. For improv, I think having a fixed groove ties it down too much and doesn't let the group explore. Just a different thing, really.

scott from _actual time_

grumpy old man
Contributor
Reaction score
well, i love odd-meter grooves--maybe my brain is screwy, but i love 13:8 and 11:8 more than 12:8. it is a groove in my head.

i saw the show last night too and thought it was utterly badass. i love the Miles Davis record JM and CC were on, i dig the 70s Mahavishnu records and JM's mid-90s electric five-piece's stuff. so i knew what it was going to be.

i was in the second row center-stage, and a lot of JM's playing looked to me like the Indian and 'synthetic' modes rather than pentatonic. but he was going so damn fast that it was hard to tell. :)

agreed, jacksonplayer, that the Godin and his V-Twin pedal didn't have quite as much sustain as i would've preferred, but his mid-90s electic band tone was the same.

amazing show from two headliners who can totally play but who really made their impact with their composing.

Luan

Reaction score
I hate you all, I would die to see those 5 musicians (altough I would prefer colaiuta) playing together.

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Hey, hey, hey ... waddya know, we had 7 stringers in the house !! Nice. wish I had known, it'd be nice to meet some of you (I've never met anyone from any forum ....)

jacksonplayer: right you are ! I do prefer me some pre-composed stuff, but even in improv I do like me some groove. Its personal preference at the end of the day. Nothing wrong or right about it.

and scott from _actual time_ might be right. There were definitely synthetic modes used.

Luan: worry not, they should have a DVD coming out shortly. maybe one day u get to see them live in Argentina !

scott from _actual time_

grumpy old man
Contributor
Reaction score
and scott from _actual time_ might be right. There were definitely synthetic modes used.
the old Mahavishnu songbook from the 70s was full of all sorts of Indian and synthetic modes. i couldn't tell for sure what he modes was playing, but i saw plenty of half-steps, so much of it was likely more than pentatonics.

Luan: worry not, they should have a DVD coming out shortly. maybe one day u get to see them live in Argentina !
there's a live DVD of his tour band from last year, 4th Dimension, already out, and a live double CD of the Five Peace band of JM and Chick Corea.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I hate you all, I would die to see those 5 musicians (altough I would prefer colaiuta) playing together.

As big a fan as I am of Vinnie Colaiuta, I think this band actually works better with Brian Blades.

the old Mahavishnu songbook from the 70s was full of all sorts of Indian and synthetic modes. i couldn't tell for sure what he modes was playing, but i saw plenty of half-steps, so much of it was likely more than pentatonics.

McLaughlin has never been one for pentatonics, AFAIK.

Personally, I'm a big fan of pentatonics--especially using the "wrong" pentatonics. You can get some crazy effects doing that. I always mix in chromatic flourishes, though,
so I'm rarely playing pure pentatonic.

Holy Katana

Wait, what?
Reaction score
I saw them back in April. It was easily the best concert I've ever been to.

I was also bothered by the lack of distortion McLaughlin was using. He only used a tiny bit, and it sounded weird when he played really fast lines. I don't know how to describe it. It was kind of like when you're shredding on an acoustic. It had that almost choked sound.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
I've been hearing about them touring together, makes me so sad that they aren't coming anywhere near me, cause Chick is one of my absolute favorites (I would see Chick over Satriani or Vai anyday, unless vai had TMac obviously)

Keep in mind, Mclaughlin uses Konnakol alot for his rhythms, the whole indian rhythm cycle, so while I bet alot of that was in 4/4 or 6/8, if you followed the melody or him, it displaces the beat so much it sounds outside of common time signatures. It takes years of studying to understand it well, but pick up his DVD "Gateway to rhythm" or something like that, Its really awesome.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Keep in mind, Mclaughlin uses Konnakol alot for his rhythms, the whole indian rhythm cycle, so while I bet alot of that was in 4/4 or 6/8, if you followed the melody or him, it displaces the beat so much it sounds outside of common time signatures. It takes years of studying to understand it well, but pick up his DVD "Gateway to rhythm" or something like that, Its really awesome.

I keep meaning to pick that one up, as it sounds fascinating...

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
yah I havent got it yet either, but apparently its at my local library? Theres a really masterful piano player in my city who conducts for Symphony Nova Scotia who is all into that stuff, and came and did a clinic for us about it.

Shows some of his playing with it at around 3:20

around 6:25 or so, he shows some stuff thats in 4/4 but with his beat displacement it sounds really out there.

progmetaldan

Reaction score
I saw them back in February, absolutely unbelievable show! Brian Blade was on the drums, which I'm glad, as he's incredible, as were all the band! I've ordered the live album which is pretty much the same setlist as the show I went to. :D

')