Sayings that makes you wanna :scream:

• Thread starter niffnoff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think I might actually start saying lol in real life and overpronouncing it so it's almost like 'lawl' just to annoy people because I'm surprised how many people are so uptight over something like an essentially meaningless phrase.

People whose main language is English, and say "lol" out loud, irk me a little bit, but I can stand it. However, a good chunk of my friends speak Spanish only, and they say "lol" out loud, and I go nuts. My cousin used to say it, and I just couldn't stand the fact that we were having a conversation in Spanish, and he would literally say "lol." It really disgusted me. How would you guys feel if I was having a conversation with you in English, and all of a sudden I started laughing in Spanish? "Jajajajaja." Makes me look stupid. Same thing applies to "lol."

Also, I just got a text from my friend right now asking me if I wanted to go out tonight. She literally wrote "What you think?". I can't stand that shit. I'm sorry, but I can't manage myself when people say "What you mean?" or "What you saying." I don't care if they say it, but for fuck's sake, don't WRITE it. It's stupid. Apparently auxiliary verbs are useless nowadays.

This one doesn't really annoy me, but I just don't understand why people say it. Why do some people (specially British people) add an "r" at the end of some words? For example: "What do you think of my idear?".

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

niffnoff

Just another SunBro
Reaction score
This one doesn't really annoy me, but I just don't understand why people say it. Why do some people (specially British people) add an "r" at the end of some words? For example: "What do you think of my idear?".

I thought aussies did that? Not to offend or stereotype one countries dialect.
:') Can't remember adding R at the end of my sentences xD

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
I thought aussies did that? Not to offend or stereotype one countries dialect.
:') Can't remember adding R at the end of my sentences xD

Haha I might be mistaken. But it was British people who first came to my mind. However, now that you mention it, Australians are very prone to do that, too. But I've also heard Americans say it, though not very frequently.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Without sounding like a pompous prick, I think a lot of these things are, generally speaking, class-specific linguistic ignorance. The ones people are complaining of Brits using I only see lower class people using and I'm sure it's the same for what's being said of their country's misuse of English too.

There are of course exceptions to this though, I know of highly intelligent, educated people who say "what were you finking?" which is obviously ridiculous, but is probably more of a geographical thing than ignorance due to the education of the people saying it.

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
"Everything happens for a reason..."

Makes my blood boil. Tragedy or loss is not a necessary condition for something good to eventual happen further down the line. Anyone that makes you eat a shit sandwich for the hope of a sweet dessert is an asshole- even if it makes Fate an asshole- and therefore not deserving of defensive rationalization.

Stumbled this night. Thought it was relevant. » Archive » eat shit & die 182

I agree.

groovemasta

Reaction score
I don't know if this only applies to my city but:

'peedz'
'bunk'
'deece'
preemoz'

I could go on..

EDIT - 'i dont get off to that'

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
do me a favour. DONT TELL ME ANYTHING ABOUT P2!!!!!!
I'm yet to play it. :3

You haven't had the pleasure of playing through Portal 2, yet?
:squint:

I'm sure you will love it. :D

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
'Not trying to be funny, but' or 'Not being racist, but' followed up by a generally racist or offensive statement.

I'm pretty laid back and good humored. That shit just offends me, and it offends my friends who are gay. Sorry if that makes me a person you don't want to associate with. :shrug:

Gay means 'happy, lively, a bit showy'. So using the word gay to describe a homosexual man implies that they fit into the stereotype of a camp, overly-happy guy. But we don't think of what the word originally meant anymore, because the meaning of words change. When you think about it, calling a homosexual person gay should be offensive. You might as well call them camp, because that's what it means.

When I say something is gay, I don't even think of the homosexual relations of the word, because for me the two aren't linked in that context. I'm not a homophobe at all, in fact I'm one of those guys who likes to creep their male friends out by being overly friendly. :lol: It's the context of words that makes them offensive, not the words themselves. They're just words, and society gets caught up on them too much.

niffnoff

Just another SunBro
Reaction score
'Not trying to be funny, but' or 'Not being racist, but' followed up by a generally racist or offensive statement.

Gay means 'happy, lively, a bit showy'. So using the word gay to describe a homosexual man implies that they fit into the stereotype of a camp, overly-happy guy. But we don't think of what the word originally meant anymore, because the meaning of words change. When you think about it, calling a homosexual person gay should be offensive. You might as well call them camp, because that's what it means.

When I say something is gay, I don't even think of the homosexual relations of the word, because for me the two aren't linked in that context. I'm not a homophobe at all, in fact I'm one of those guys who likes to creep their male friends out by being overly friendly. :lol: It's the context of words that makes them offensive, not the words themselves. They're just words, and society gets caught up on them too much.

.. you sound like this man right here

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
People whose main language is English, and say "lol" out loud, irk me a little bit, but I can stand it. However, a good chunk of my friends speak Spanish only, and they say "lol" out loud, and I go nuts. My cousin used to say it, and I just couldn't stand the fact that we were having a conversation in Spanish, and he would literally say "lol." It really disgusted me. How would you guys feel if I was having a conversation with you in English, and all of a sudden I started laughing in Spanish? "Jajajajaja." Makes me look stupid. Same thing applies to "lol."

Lol is part of the English language now. Might as well just accept it. It's not bad English, words are created out of necessity, and the word 'lol' is useful.

As for that 'r' thing, that's just accent.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ You're right, it is part of the English language, and, while I'd rather not say it, I can stand it in English. It's when my non-English-speaking friends say it that I go all "Wtf" in my head. However, it's just one of those things that you dislike without any apparent reason. But you're right, it's beginning to form part of the language, and it will have to be generally accepted, eventually.

The 'r' thing was just me being curious though! Haha

Murmel

Reaction score
However, it's just one of those things that you dislike without any apparent reason

This is kind of a big problem for me. I have a very hard time with certain words and phrases in Swedish. For instance, calling someone 'love' as in "You're my love" in Swedish makes me cringe, because the word just for calling someone love is so ugly to my ears.
"You're my love" in Swedish would be "Du är min älskling". Älskling sounds so ugly, I hate that word, but it's hard to avoid it because of what it means :lol:

Kabstract

Flamenco is cool
Reaction score
It is what it is, you get what you get.

+1

Don't know why, but it really bugs me.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
people who overuse the n word, or people who use gay as a replacement for stupid, lame, etc.

and a +1 to the "anything to do with juggalo's/juggalettes".

But you'd be understanding if I said Juggalos/juggalettes are gay right? ;)

')