Scale length issues h-308

• Thread starter smethubd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

smethubd

Reaction score
So,

If I were to switch to a new guitar for the longer scale length, what would be the best? The new Iron Label, an S8, or the RG8? I really want to get an Ibanez for trade at my local dealer.

I've been trying to sell mine for a while, or even trade it, but there haven't been any bites and I'm getting pretty sick of waiting around or continuing to buy strings for less intonation.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

smethubd

Reaction score
Double post, my bad

I forgot to add in the RGA8. I want something that is good right out of the box with good PU's and I can take it out the night I get it. Also, I really appreciate all the answers I am getting with the current situation on my 8 string.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
I did two things to make my multiple 25.5" 8-strings feel good on the low E1 string:

I use the Ernie Ball 6-string Bass set, with .090 at the bottom.

I bought the shorter Hipshot bridge saddle, directly from Hipshot, in order to correctly intonate.

The string set decision was made after doing the math to figure out what my preferred string tensions were, and then extending that downward, increasing the tensions progressively.

I had never really been able to get my guitars correctly intonated until I noticed that some Schecter ERGs had a shorter bridge saddle on them. I did some searches, and then called Hipshot directly to ask where one could buy some. I was told I could order them directly from Hipshot, and I've done so several times since. I typically put them on at least the two lowest strings. At only 5 bucks a pop, these were an incredible improvement.

The best part is, when I first put the saddles on, I decided to not just set the intonation so it was okay or passable, but to dial it in perfectly. As I kept moving the bridge saddle back, the low string felt less and less floppy... until all floppiness was gone.

Since then, I've never had a worry about getting my 25.5" 8-strings perfectly set up, or about floppiness.

Grated, it took a little bit of thinking, energy and effort, and a lot of people find it easier to just buy different instruments (or tell you to do so)...

')