Scale the Summit MegaThread

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
Last night was amazing. Two of my friends, my girlfriend, my mom (no, not as a chofur, but as a PTH fan[crazy, I know]), and I went to the "The Heads Will Roll Tour" at Slims in SF.

First up was Scale the Summit. Though I've listened to these guys before and watched some videos, witnessing it live was just something else. Spot on playing and just beautiful sounding. My girlfriend actually went and bought me their tab book, so now I'm actually going to have to play guitar! :nuts:

Next up was The Number 12 Looks Like You. Honestly, I didn't care for there music in the least bit. Their set was basically a countdown to Misery Signals for me. I do have to say they did seem like pretty nice guys and their vocalist put on one entertaining show. So, :metal:

Now for Misery Signals. Great stuff. I can't remember their setlist exactly but it was something to this effect.

A Certain Death
Parallels
The Failsafe
Nothing
Weight of the World
Reset
The Year Summer Ended In June

They put on a great show. Lots of energy and fun. One of the best parts was when their vocalist (Karl) referenced their last tour and one guitarist (Stu) joined in. It went something like this.

Karl: It's been a while since we've been in San Francisco. Who was at our show a few months back with Bring Me The Horizon?
*A few people clap* *Karl counts them*
Karl: Seven, okay, that's cool!
Stu: Yeah, I don't see many 14 year old girls in the crowd.

L O Fucking L. Anyway, loved them

Now for the main guys; Protest the Hero. I've been waiting to see these guys for quite sometime now. When I saw this lineup, I knew I had to go. They put on an amazing show that was pretty entertaining. Their setlist was something like this.

Bloodmeat
Wretch
Nautical
The Dissentience
Goddess Bound
Goddess Gagged
Blindfold's Aside
Spoils
Sequoia Throne

they played a couple other songs during the last three that I can't really remember off the top of my head. Overall, it was a great show. To give an example of where we were for it, here is a picture my buddy took. He was right next to me and this picture wasn't zoomed in at all.

l_91e56a78d91140c4be2239b17f2fb0a4.jpg

Here's the whole album of pictures for anyone who wants to see.

Anyone want details, just ask.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
Nice dude! Did you talk to Chris Letchford after they played? Misery Signals should have played more off the new album. Like Coma and Set In Motion

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
No, I didn't get to talk to Chris. From the time they finished to the time the show was over I was right up front at the edge of the stage.

Yeah, I love "Controller" too, but their whole set was off of it except for 2 songs, so I figure they were pushing it as it was, haha.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
What a rad gig. I'm not familiar with Misery Signal, but I love PTH and Scale The Summit.
I actually really like The Number 12 Looks Like You, that would have been a blast for me to have seen them as well.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
That must have been an awesome show. I love PTH and STS. Great bands. I see one of the guy in PTH is playing the new Caparison Dellinger MS Aluminum. I have one of those on order :)

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
Yeah, Tim was running that Caparison through what looked like a 5150II and Luke was running what I'm assuming is a Custom Ibanez into a VHT Deliverance. It was a night of great tones! :yesway:

tian

Reaction score
Just got back from the LA show. I just went for STS, but enjoyed everyone who played. Plus the venue was cool and I got to bring in my camera and shoot a show for the first time in too long. I've got a bunch, but these are just a couple I've picked out so far...

3473131162_96a6300bc9_o.jpg

3472362657_340902ef98_o.jpg

3472366367_ea098c8467_o.jpg

willyman101

Reaction score
I should think Misery Signals did play Set in Motion cus they usually start with it... they did when they toured over here with Architects anyway.

ChrisLetchford

Reaction score
So, has you read. Its freaking nuts! We're soooo excited to be apart of this tour!

p.s. I just posted updated picture of my Artinger 8 String Guitar in the works. Matt told me he should be able to get me the guitar half way through the tour! Artinger 8 String Thread

Here are both Mike Portnoy's and my bands (Scale The Summit) Press release and all the dates!

Mike Portnoy:
It is with the utmost disappointment that I am forced to share the unfortunate news of both Pain Of Salvation and Beardfish having to pull out of this summer's Progressive Nation tour....

Their label Inside Out just recently lost the financial funding for the tour as a result of their distributor SPV recently claiming bankruptcy...which effectively meant that both Pain Of Salvation and Beardfish lost the tour support that was essential to their ability to come to North America for Progressive Nation.

All parties involved (myself, both bands, Inside Out, etc) are beyond devastated at this turn of events and are truly sorry to all of the fans that were looking forward to this lineup. We tried everything we could do to salvage the situation, but in the end it was not possible...

Well as the album title says, every Black Cloud does indeed have a Silver Lining....so with this unfortunate news, I bring to you the good news of 2 incredible bands that will jumping on board Progressive Nation to join Dream Theater and Zappa Plays Zappa this summer: Bigelf and Scale The Summit.

Los Angeles' Bigelf are my personal favorite new band to come along in many years...their latest CD "Cheat The Gallows" is my favorite album of the year and I already had positioned them onto the European run of Progressive Nation in the Fall....with them now joining us on PN09 in North America as well, it looks like world domination is now not that far out of reach for them!
Pretty soon, everyone will hopefully be falling for their retro, psychedelic, progressive, hard rock, doom metal as hard as I have!

Houston instrumental band Scale The Summit are a recent discovery for me and their top notch musicianship will be a perfect fit to this Progressive Nation lineup stylistically falling very nicely between the musicality of Dream Theater and Zappa Plays Zappa. They bring the instrumental elements of prog rock and fusion into today's contemporary hard rock/metal sounds and are one of the most talented group of young musicians I've seen assembled in many years.

Once again, apologies to anybody disappointed in this unexpected and unavoidable lineup change...but the circumstances were beyond our control...
In any event, PN09 will carry on and still deliver the most musical bang for its buck this summer throughout North America and we look forward to sharing the evening with you!

Sincerely,
Your Progressive Rock Ambassador,
Mike Portnoy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROGRESSIVE NATION 2009 - NORTH AMERICAN TOUR
Dream Theater, Zappa Plays Zappa, Bigelf & Scale The Summit

Fri July 24th - Fillmore @ Jackie Gleason Theater - Miami, FL
Sat July 25th - Hard Rock Live - Orlando, FL
Sun July 26th - Ruth Eckard Hall - Tampa, FL
Tues July 28th - The Tabernacle - Atlanta, GA
Wed July 29th - Thomas Wolfe Auditorium - Ashville, NC
Fri July 31st - Tower Theater - Philadelphia, PA
Sat Aug 1st - Merriweather Post - Washington DC *
Sun Aug 2nd - Bank Of America Pavillion - Boston, MA
Tues Aug 4th - The Palace Theater - Albany, NY
Wed Aug 5th - Chevrolet Theater - Wallingford, CT
Fri Aug 7th - Convention Hall - Asbury Park, NJ
Sat Aug 8 - Brookhaven Amphitheater - Brookhaven, NY
Tues Aug 11th - The Agora - Quebec City, QUE
Wed Aug 12th - Bell Center - Montreal, QUE
Fri Aug 14th - Molson Amphitheater - Toronto, ONT
Sun Aug 16th - The Burton Cummings Theater - Winnipeg, MAN
Tues Aug 18th - MacEwan Hall - Calgary, AB
Wed Aug 19th - Shaw Conference Center - Edmonton, AB
Fri Aug 21st - The Orpheum Theater - Minneapolis, MN
Sat Aug 22nd - Riverside Theater - Milwaukee, WI
Sun Aug 23rd - Chicago Theater - Chicago, IL
Tues Aug 25th - Temple Hoyne Buell Theater - Denver, CO
Thur Aug 27th - San Jose Civic Auditorium - San Jose, CA
Fri Aug 28th - The Joint - Las Vegas, NV
Sat Aug 29th - The Greek Theater - Los Angeles, CA

* - Additional Special Guests on the 8/1 Washington DC show will be Queensryche (a special one-off 5 band Progressive Nation bill for 1 night only!)

SCALE THE SUMMIT: A 'DREAM' COME TRUE

The Houston-based, instrumental, progressive "adventure metal" band
SCALE THE SUMMIT, whose recently released Prosthetic debut "Carving
Desert Canyons" was hailed by Revolver as "a cinematic blast of
intricately melodic fretwork and pummeling percussion," have officially
been added to Dream Theater's "Progressive Nation" summer tour, which
kicks off July 24 in Miami.

"This is by far the best thing to ever happen to us," says guitarist
Chris Letchford. "We're all extremely excited to have been chosen to
take part in a tour with such high-caliber musicians. We've been fans
of Dream Theater since we were all kids just starting out on our
instruments, so this is most certainly a 'dream' come true!

"The best and shortest way," he continues, "to really describe how we
all feel and felt when we first got the call was, 'Holy shit!' I'm sure
thousands of you out there would definitely be able to relate! We're
all looking forward to getting out on the road with those guys. Mark
Progressive Nation '09 in your schedules, as it's definitely not one to
miss out on!"

Since the February release of "Carving Desert Canyons," SCALE THE SUMMIT
has toured with Protest The Hero and been featured in publications from
Guitar World to Alternative Press to their hometown Houston Chronicle,
one of America's 10 largest daily newspapers. The group, whose members'
average age is just 22, was formed in 2004 while they attended
Musicians Institute, a world-famous college for musicians located in
Los Angeles. Upon graduating, the band relocated to Letchford's home
state of Texas to record their self-released debut, Monument, which led
to a deal with Prosthetic Records in 2008.

Founded in 1998, the Los Angeles-based independent label Prosthetic
Records has released nearly 100 albums during its first decade that
cover practically every subgenre of metal. Highlights of the label's
catalog include Lamb of God's seminal debut New American Gospel and
their landmark follow-up As The Palaces Burn, several re-issues by
thrash icons Testament and the entire discography of All That Remains.
In recent years, Prosthetic has ventured into the world of progressive
metal; other notable virtuosic artists on the label include the French
"extreme progressive metal" band Gojira, the tech-death Canadian
quartet Beneath The Massacre and the instrumental progressive metal
group Animals As Leaders. For more information, visit
ProstheticRecords.com.

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
Man, I'm sooooo bummed about PoS, but I'm very pumped to see you guys.

I'm having such a dilemma right now as I try to congratulate you guys as I'm also just crushed about PoS when I tell people the news.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Congrats, that should be a fun tour.

And why in God's name is it not coming to Houston? Or at least Austin?

cev

Trollhammaren!!
Reaction score
Huh, well I guess I'll be seeing you guys in August then :lol:

Too bad they didn't pick up Unexpect for the North American tour though, I love that band.

guitarjitsumaster

seven times seven
Reaction score
I feel bad for the other bands but man thats crazy awesome for yall, and im with gunshow, whats with nothing in Texas. That sucks!

')