Scalloped frets on a UV7BK

• Thread starter SunOfNothing10
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SunOfNothing10

Reaction score
I've had a 91 uvbk for just over a year now, and the smaller frets have always felt strange to me, being used to jumbos. I have thought about getting it refretted, but it is quite expensive and i dont know a very reputable tech that could do it for me.

So i've been contemplating scalloping the fingerboard slightly and recrowning the frets myself. The frets arent too bad on it but they are a little square.

Thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As someone whose refretted guitars and scalloped guitars, I'd say just get the refret unless you have the tools and are willing to sacrifice a few practice guitars to perfect your work.

Keep in mind, you WILL have to refret it eventually. :2c:

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I wouldn't scallop the neck. I'd probably pull the neck and mail it to someone good at refrets (they don't need the whole guitar) or sell it and buy something with bigger frets. I know it costs money to get a refret, but scalloping that neck is like lighting money on fire and burning it if you ever end up trying to sell your UV. The money for the refret is worth it in the end.

GraemeH

Reaction score
Whilst I agree just getting new frets would be best for you, this idea;

bad scallop job.

is generally way overplayed.

I have no wood or crafting experience whatsoever and I done a very tidy scallop job with nothing more than a hand file and patience. You have to be a complete ape to do a "bad scallop job", so ignore these fear-mongering memes.

But again, a re-fret would be the best option. Only go for a scallop if you actually prefer the feel of a scalloped plank already.

7JxN7

Reaction score
I have done scalloping myself and it turned out pretty good. But it is very time consuming to do it right, plus I have alot of experience using hand tools so that may be another reason I didn't find it too difficult over all.

However if it were my guitar I would get it refretted, and a stainless steel refret at that. My UV will be undergoing this exact same thing when the frets wear down a little more.

Pablo

Resident Wanker
Reaction score
Me? I'd get a refret with huge stainless steel frets and scallop the fretboard - but I'm strange that way...