Scammed by SS.org member :(

• Thread starter gnroach
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gnroach

Reaction score
Hi there,

I was recently scammed by a member. He was long time member (since 2013, with almost 2000 messages)
Luckily I only sent first a downpayment of 300 USD for a guitar, the second part I didnt because he already disappeared with the 300 without any trace, no email, not even visible anymore for me in the threads.
name here was @Fretless . email : MPCK1967@hotmail.com, Paypal name: James Banko

I was dumb and paid with F&F paypal, so now need to work on the chargeback with my bank to try and reverse the transaction.

He wanted to push for other options after I expressed my concerns rgarding paypal f&F but after that he disappeared .

Hope @Fretless you read this thread and this 300 dollars are needed for medication for you. Shame that we have such members in our community!

1723814823522.png

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
Hi there,

I was recently scammed by a member. He was long time member (since 2013, with almost 2000 messages)
Luckily I only sent first a downpayment of 300 USD for a guitar, the second part I didnt because he already disappeared with the 300 without any trace, no email, not even visible anymore for me in the threads.
name here was @Fretless . email : MPCK1967@hotmail.com, Paypal name: James Banko

I was dumb and paid with F&F paypal, so now need to work on the chargeback with my bank to try and reverse the transaction.

He wanted to push for other options after I expressed my concerns rgarding paypal f&F but after that he disappeared .

Hope @Fretless you read this thread and this 300 dollars are needed for medication for you. Shame that we have such members in our community!

View attachment 148366
So sorry this has happened to you.

I guess this was the hijacked account to which @Randy referred?

Masoo2

Reaction score
Is "wise - dot - com" a known payment processor? Otherwise I'd say, for future reference, easy spelling mistakes and shady links are usually sure signs of a scam.
wise is a money transferring app not too dissimilar to Venmo etc, but in my experience much more support outside of the US

sorry op :(

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
I messaged randy about this last night and it appears he took care of it.

I was gonna buy something from the same user and the steps I took saved my ass.

I checked his profile and saw how the user didn't post for years and then randomly posted shit for sale. red flag #1.

I offered to send them a shipping label in order to obtain their personal info so I could check into it.

They told me the item was located in an entirely different state than the classified stated. Red flag #2.

I google map'd their alleged address and it was a Starbucks. Red flag #3.

The box dimensions and weight he gave me were off. I ship a lot of guitars so I knew it was bs. Red flag #4.

Told the guy I changed my mind and would think about it. He immediately dropped the price and tried to talk me into it. Red flag #5.

The name he gave me was stupid too so I scoured the net for someone with that name from both the classified ad location and the given location in a different state. No dice.

So I messaged a mod and asked for some Intel on the user and now he gone.

Wasn't the actual users fault from what I understand. Account got jacked.

Bonus red flag #6 - scammer was using a Hotmail address. haha

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I checked his profile and saw how the user didn't post for years and then randomly posted shit for sale. red flag #1.

I offered to send them a shipping label in order to obtain their personal info so I could check into it.

They told me the item was located in an entirely different state than the classified stated. Red flag #2.

The box dimensions and weight he gave me were off. I ship a lot of guitars so I knew it was bs. Red flag #4.

Told the guy I changed my mind and would think about it. He immediately dropped the price and tried to talk me into it. Red flag #5.

The name he gave me was stupid too so I scoured the net for someone with that name from both the classified ad location and the given location in a different state. No dice.

Good work detective! You'll be getting a cushy desk job in no time!

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score

My my, you went full Colombo on his ass.

Kudos!

Though Hotmail ain't a red flag (still use it as my main account). All my alias accounts are gmails.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Is hotmail a red flag? I've still got a hotmail account kicking around.

Ehh I listed it as a bonus/honorable mention because 99% of people I know use Gmail in the states. 1% might still hang onto AOL or Yahoo or use Proton. Hotmail felt just antiquated enough to raise my alarm bells. I wonder if it's more popular outside the U.S. - I think combined with all the other bs, bad spelling, price too good to be true that it all kinda pointed to some bullshit.

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with hotmail and I see some of you use it but it sooo 20 years ago

Moongrum

Reaction score
Is "wise - dot - com" a known payment processor? Otherwise I'd say, for future reference, easy spelling mistakes and shady links are usually sure signs of a scam.
wise is legit. It's good for people who need to pay different currencies frequently or live somewhere internationally temporarily.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
We've all moved over to hotmale
True story - I tried to help get a tech-illiterate (and sometimes just plain illiterate) family member online once, years ago, and he flat out refused to use a service called "hot male".

Oof, I'd be more sketched out by Yahoo mail than Hotmail.

wise is legit.
Y'all need something like e-transfers in Canada where it's all standardized, implemented by the bank, and you don't have to have 100 different payment processors and sketchy apps and websites.

')