scarlett 2i2 / ormsby pickups clipping issues

• Thread starter Rollandbeast
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rollandbeast

Reaction score
anyone with ormsby pickups(goliath 7) having issues with the scarlett 2i2 ? im clipping even with the gain at 0... all my other guitars seems to be fine so im guessing it's a pickup problem ? At first I thought lowering my pickup height could help but looks like it's already all the way down... bummer because the pickups are super high, shit the pickup almost touches the strings.. and i feel like it sounds like shit because of that too...
cheers

Last edited:

Metropolis

Reaction score
First generation Scarletts are known to have not enough headroom with hotter pickups, for some users even second generation inputs are clipping, but it could be pickup height. If Scarlett is the source of this problem then having a di-box helps to get more headroom and much cleaner signal.

Rollandbeast

Reaction score
First generation Scarletts are known to have not enough headroom with hotter pickups, for some users even second generation inputs are clipping, but it could be pickup height. If Scarlett is the source of this problem then having a di-box helps to get more headroom and much cleaner signal.
cool thanks , I have the second gen one , ill look into a good DI , any recommendations ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Radial JDI?

Or just grab a 2i4.

Metropolis

Reaction score
cool thanks , I have the second gen one , ill look into a good DI , any recommendations ?

Radial makes good DI-boxes, I had their ProDI with 1st generation Scarlett 2i4. Some people say it matters if you use active di-box with passive pickups or passive with actives, but difference is really quite subtle.

Hendog

Reaction score
I just got a 2i2. I was to understand that they fixed the clipping issues. After reading this, I'm really hoping I didn't get the wrong interface (I will primarily be recording heavy guitars with hot pickups).

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
If you can return it still Hendog I'd get the Audient interface instead that has a built in DI. That's the one to get right now for recording guitars.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
anyone with ormsby pickups(goliath 7) having issues with the scarlett 2i2 ? im clipping even with the gain at 0... all my other guitars seems to be fine so im guessing it's a pickup problem ? At first I thought lowering my pickup height could help but looks like it's already all the way down... bummer because the pickups are super high, shit the pickup almost touches the strings.. and i feel like it sounds like shit because of that too...
cheers

Also get that pickup height issue sorted out. It will help.

Masoo2

Reaction score
Even my 2i4 has ran into issue with clipping before, just get something different if you can still return it

Hendog

Reaction score
So, I got the Scarlett 2i2 last night. I have already started recording heavy guitar parts. I am not really having any issues. I have the gain set to about 40% on the interface. No clipping. Do I need to turn the gain up higher to get the best tone?

The reason I wanted a 2i2 is that you can record a guitar and bass at the same time and hook up 2 mics to record stereo acoustic guitar and drums.

Should I still return it for the Audient iD4?

Metropolis

Reaction score
So, I got the Scarlett 2i2 last night. I have already started recording heavy guitar parts. I am not really having any issues. I have the gain set to about 40% on the interface. No clipping. Do I need to turn the gain up higher to get the best tone?

The reason I wanted a 2i2 is that you can record a guitar and bass at the same time and hook up 2 mics to record stereo acoustic guitar and drums.

Should I still return it for the Audient iD4?

It's fine if levels are mostly around -12 to -6dBFS. But if you're nitpicky about input impedance and how certain converters sound, then trying something else doesn't hurt. If it sounds good to you, it's good. Scarlett pre amps can be little bit noisy if gain is turned up higher with microphones that require it.

Last edited:

Descent

Reaction score
They've improved it from MKI but still having issues, IMO just go for another brand, Boss, Mackie, Audient, PreSonus have all solved these preamp issues so long ago, it's still funny to me why the most purchased one is the Scarlett :)

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
Just to state, I have had some kid with activators clip my interface when recording DIs and it sounded fine when the tracks reamped

Synllip

Cyan
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with a little clipping, especially if you are using high output pickups and pick hard. I'm myself I'm a very hard pocket and been using Duncan Distortions for years and with an Apogee Quartet I set them high and the DI clips too, that won't do any harm to the signal. If you keep lowering the pickups so it won't clip then you're losing attack, brightness and output, unless you like that which is fine. You should always record guitar DI's with the pre amp gain on 0 because the guitar signal is already too strong, and you don't want to add digital gain to a clear transparent signal to reamp, or use amp sims.

Rollandbeast

Reaction score
that's a bunch for the input guys , I pick VERY hard with a lot of attack so i'm sure this doesnt help, I can't return it sadly... at this point im thinking about either selling it to get something better or get the radial di wich has a -15db pad , thoughts ? Also just got an rgd7421 and it's even worse, clips in the red with 0 gain lol