Scarlett 2i4, reaper major issues please help

Frankb7stringer

Reaction score
im having some huge issues with something in my setup and i'm not sure whats wrong. when ever i record something the signal is so distorted its ridiculous. doesnt matter what it is. play back is fine sometimes. sometimes it will make the same sound and slow down the playback. when i render a clip of what it sounds like it plays back at a ridiculous speed.

https://soundcloud.com/frankbatchelder/problems

also when i watch videos on youtube the video stream lags and sometimes stops the video and all output completely.

im using windows 7 proffesional.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
Try updating the driver for the Scarlett.

Also, what sample rate are you setting? The same in your Reaper project and on the Scarlett?

Additionally, check your ASIO buffer setting. You probably want at least 128 samples as less than that can cause clicking, drop outs, etc.

Frankb7stringer

Reaction score
also when i say lags i mean the video stream lags and lags until the entire stream cuts out and usually the sound stream stops while other things are loading on the page

tedtan

Reaction score
That's an odd situation. I can't get the soundcloud link to work for me, but typically, video buffering is a graphics card or internet connection issue, not a sound card issue. Did your problems start right after installing the Scarlett?

In Reaper, go to Options -> Preferences -> Audio -> Device and check the buffers. This should be 8 x 1024 samples like the attached pic. This is the default setting and should work without adjustment. If this doesn't work, let me know we can continue working on it.

Also, contact Focusrite. Their tech support is typically pretty good.

Reaper Prefs.png

Frankb7stringer

Reaction score
no i've had the thing for almost a year now. it basically seems like the computer can't handle the information. because when i record guitars through guitar rig it works fine but when using the nick crow 7170 and lecab 2 it sounds like the computer can't handle it. it uses more of the cpu than guitar rig. i could care less about the youtube crap i just need to be able to record.

tedtan

Reaction score
If your CPU isn't maxed out, that sounds like a buffer setting issue. You can get more stable performance by increasing the buffer, but at the expense of latency. Try experimenting with buffer settings to find something workable. Also, you can keep the buffer lower while tracking and then increase it for mixing/mastering (if this is a buffer issue, those clicks and dropouts aren't being recorded).

Frankb7stringer

Reaction score
its not clicks and drop outs though. like the whole stream drops off on youtube. when im tracking the signal is so distorted and slowed down it's completely unrecognizeable. the link worked for me when i clicked on it again what happens when you clicked on it?

tedtan

Reaction score
That sounds like a computer issue. Maybe the CPU, GPU, or MOBO is dying. Maybe have the computer looked at by a competent repair person/tech in your area.

Regarding the SoundCloud page, I'm still getting this:

Untitled.jpg

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
If the drivers are messed up, it might be worth a complete reinstall of everything.

Also make sure the bits match Reaper is 32 and 64 bit I believe.

Just a few ideas, all I can think of to help. Try the Reaper forums as well if you havent already.

')