Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 Latency Problem

Metal Guitarist

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am recording with a Focusrite 2i2 interface with a Shure SM57 into Audacity. I have been getting slight latency in my recordings. Even when I put Direct Monitor on it comes through my headphones instantly but when I play back the recording it is less than a second off so I have to zoom in far and line up the tracks. :wallbash: Am I doing something wrong? Could it just be because it's a USB interface? I have read that USB can cause latency.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Have you played with the buffer setting? That directly relates to latency. Set it as low as you can without dropouts or crackling sound (your CPU decides how low that is). Any computer should be able to run a project recording a few tracks on low latency buffer without lots of plugins.

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
I don't use audacity, but this is an issue with your DAW. There should be a setting somewhere in Audacity to autocorrect for device latency.

Metal Guitarist

Reaction score
Okay it says "audio to buffer: 100 milliseconds " and "latency correction: -130 milliseconds". Next time I record I should set them as low as I can until I get crackle?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Yeah - Usually interfaces have a control panel too, often available from the icons near the clock in Windows. The buffer setting is usually there.

')