Scary movies for a first time horror movie watcher...

• Thread starter kerska
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
Sixth Sense is a good rec, that is a really great movie and loosely qualifies as horror, I guess there are a couple jumps in there.

I hate Signs, that part where Mel Gibson starts eating mashed potatoes messily and his kids start crying and yell I HATE YOU!!!! is fucking hilarious tho.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flint757

Reaction score
The eye isn't too bad either. It's semi-scary, while ultimately ending on a lighthearted note. Whatever it is make sure it ends with the bad guy dying. For a newcomer to the genre it might leave her with nightmares otherwise. :lol:

kerska

That guy...
Reaction score
I can't believe I'm actually doing this, but I feel like in this one extremely special case, it may be worth suggesting an M. Night Shyamalan flick; either Sixth Sense or Signs.

Oh wow I didn't really think about Sixth Sense. I mean for it's time it was a pretty good movie, and it's not really as much straight horror as it is just creepy, and nothing really extreme happens except for a few jumpy parts. That may be a good one :yesway:

Bloodbath Salt

Title-less
Reaction score
I'd avoid the typical 80s horror movies, like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm St, cause their not scary. For somebody that's never seen a horror movie might think that those movies are lame (which they are). I'd go with The Thing (original), Dawn of the Dead (2000s remake), The Shining, or the 28 Days movies.

MythicSquirrel

#menswear
Reaction score
The Blair Witch Project, maybe? Whenever I think of a good horror movie, that's the first one that comes to mind.

Insidious is another good one, lots of jump scares, and if you don't take it too seriously it's just a really fun movie to watch.

wankerness

Reaction score
I'd avoid the typical 80s horror movies, like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm St, cause their not scary. For somebody that's never seen a horror movie might think that those movies are lame (which they are). I'd go with The Thing (original), Dawn of the Dead (2000s remake), The Shining, or the 28 Days movies.

By "The Thing (Original)" do you mean the original from the 50s, or the 80s remake? They're both classics but I like the 80s one a whole bunch more :O It's probably too splattery and testosterone-driven (cmon, the main character wears a cowboy hat and pours whiskey into the computer when he loses at chess) to be showing a girl as her first horror movie though.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
The Shining or the original Wicker Man are really cool psych horror movies.

Evil Dead and Dead Alive are great campy horror.

Halloween is my favorite slasher series.

Pumpkinseed is my favorite creature feature.

There are a lot of great horror genres to get into, it's all p to your tastes.

wankerness

Reaction score
The Shining or the original Wicker Man are really cool psych horror movies.

Evil Dead and Dead Alive are great campy horror.

Halloween is my favorite slasher series.

Pumpkinseed is my favorite creature feature.

There are a lot of great horror genres to get into, it's all p to your tastes.

You mean Pumpkinhead?

REC is a great horror movie but probably the most intense I've seen. The first time I watched it I coudln't even bear to look at the screen through the whole attic part at the end.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
You could try a movie that starts out harmlessly enough and doesn't really get freaky or intense until towards the end. You could watch Audition with her, perhaps, and then go find a girl who actually likes horror movies after she dumps you.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
If all else fails, go with Predator. Noone can ever go wrong watching Predator. Best movie ever. :yesway:

This! Watched the TV premiere on my 7th birthday. Explains so much... :ugh:

You could try a movie that starts out harmlessly enough and doesn't really get freaky or intense until towards the end. You could watch Audition with her, perhaps, and then go find a girl who actually likes horror movies after she dumps you.

This is something I would have done. Then add all the Ringu movies to it. :lol:

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
What about Alien/Aliens. That would be a good place to get into horror and sci-fi without jumping in the deep end of horror.

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
I hope I just missed it somewhere, but The Shining wasn't even mentioned anywhere?! You kidding me?!

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Wolf Creek. Not so much gory, but psychologically horrific.

Saw this on a date. Awkward.

Maybe start with comedy horror? Even elements of things like Beetlejuice are pretty full-on if you're not used to horror movies. I like the Evil Dead II idea, I think it's important, like when getting someone used to screamed vocals, for that person to understand that these are just human beings goofing around ultimately. That's a good point to start exploring from.

x360rampagex

Reaction score
I recommend this:

martyrs1.jpg

...say hello

tumblr_mchaorhhqn1r126r7o1_r1_500.gif

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
i'd go with zombieland & shaun of the dead...

...both great semi-scary films with humor & a little chick-flickish love story crap woven in.

Latest posts

')