Scary movies for a first time horror movie watcher...

• Thread starter kerska
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MythicSquirrel

#menswear
Reaction score
Another one I forgot to mention in my other post is Cannibal Holocaust, just a really fun movie that the entire family can get in to.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stealthtastic

Doesn't play guitar
Reaction score
Just make her watch all of the walking dead with you. It's not scary at all, but before I had ever watched it I had my worries with it.

Yeah dude, I'm a pussy. I was fucked when I saw Michael Myers when I was like... 7.

TasmanSam

Reaction score
You mean Pumpkinhead?

REC is a great horror movie but probably the most intense I've seen. The first time I watched it I coudln't even bear to look at the screen through the whole attic part at the end.

How rough is the skinny creature at the end, fucks with my head every time, so fucking realistic.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Sorry for the bump, but I must admit that I'm really curious to find out how this turned out! Any updates?

Bobo

Reaction score
First scary movie I took one of my GF's back in the day to see was Event Horizon. Pretty scary imo, but she just shut her see through half the movie lol. I'd try it again just to try and figure out what scares her.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
The grudge movies were pretty scary but I haven't seen them in years so it may just have been because I was younger haha

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
I agree that thrillers are better for her than outright horror movies. Something like Silence of the Lambs, The Lost Boys, Secret Window (johnny depp ftw!), or The Crazies. Some of the Stephen King-inspired movies would work too, like The Shining, Silver Bullet, and Carrie.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
[Rec] [Rec] (2007) - IMDb

Pretty scary, but awesome and I don't think anything too over the top that a newbie would hate it. I thought it was just supposed to be random and not that great, but I watched it and turned out to love it.

If you think you wanna watch it and haven't seen it already, IMHO try not to read anything about it. I had no idea what it was going into it and the surprises were that much better because of it I think. I have the same general philosophy of avoiding learning about any movie I'm interested it, and it makes for some really great experiences :yesway: keeps other people's opinions from messing with you, too.

wankerness

Reaction score
I didn't see any mention of Dario Argento. Suspiria, Tenebre, Inferno, Phenomena. Classics.

None of those should be shown to a first time horror movie watcher, as they'd just make them think horror movies are misogynist plotless messes with terrible dialogue and tons of gore. The only one of his I would ever recommend to anyone that isn't a horror nerd would be "Bird with the Crystal Plumage," the others all linger way too much on gore and have increasingly nonsensical plots that only exist as the barest framework on which to hang gory setpieces. I guess maybe "Suspiria" too if I knew the person had a strong stomach and was interested in movies that have strange visual styles. That doesn't mean I don't like those other movies, though. I think my favorites of his go like this:

Deep Red
Suspiria
Opera
Bird with the Crystal Plumage
Tenebre
Inferno
Phenomena

His other stuff is mostly pretty bad but those are all either great or at least very pretty to look at. Phenomena has got to have the most outrageous climax I've ever seen with the killer spear midget and the razor-wielding chimp and the insects controlled by psychic power and whatnot.

zappatton2

Reaction score
Two really great movies for people who don't generally like horror are Creepshow (1 and 2 are both good) and Trick R Treat (the recent one, the one from the 80's has less universal appeal).

Beowulf Von Thrashmeister

Reaction score
Here is a list of good horror movies, that are all time classics !!!. :)

Silent and early cinema ...

Frankenstein (1910)

Nosferatu (The 1926 original in all its silent and atmospheric beauty)

The Phantom Of The Opera (1926, with Lon Chaney, the man with a 1000 faces)

Der Golem

The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari

London After Midnight

Universal Monster series ...

Dracula (how can we not have Bela Lugosi represented)

The Bride Of Frankenstein

The Mummy (the original with Boris Karloff)

The wolfman (Lon Chaney JR)

The Black Cat

Vincent Price movies ...

The Abomnible Dr. Phibes (Vincent Price rules)

Theatre Of Blood (this film is another awesome classic with Vincent Price)

House Of Wax

Other good films from the 50`s and 60s...

Night Of The Living Dead (The original 1968 George Romero classic)

The Haunting (1962)

Bloodfeast

A swing Of The Axe

Plan 9 From Outer Space

Hammer films...

Blood From The Mummy`s Tomb

Countess Dracula

Twins Of Evil

The Devil Rides Out

Lust For A Vampire

The Vampire Lovers

Dracula Has Risen From The Grave

Dracula AD 1972

The Vampire Circus

Frankenstein must be Destroyed

The Evil Of Frankenstein

You just cant beat the Hammer movies with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, and of course Ingrid Pitt.

Well... before my post starts to look like a Halliwells guide to classic horror and monster movies, just a few more ...

Bram Stokers Dracula

The Company Of Wolves

Trick Or Treat

Onibaba

The Shining (How can we forget Stephen King?)

Susperia

An American Werewolf In London

Carrie (1975)

:)

')