Schaller Hannes 7 & 8 String bridges released

• Thread starter Adrian-XI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
That's not how it works.
Defining one angle means the relationship between the perpendicular fret and nut is within a fixed range but doesn't give them fixed position at all.

If the bridge is angled 10 degrees, the perpendicular could be at 12th fret and the nut also at 10 degrees, at any scale (the scale relationship is what's fixed). Say the longest string comes out 25.5"

I think you misread me. If they put out a fanned bridge, it will have a fixed angle. You'll have to design your fan around that angle. I can fire something up with Hipshot's fanned bridge -the ones they put on Deans that aren't usabe for my scale and perp fret location.

I can't take a fixed fan bridge with my 2 scale lengths with my desired perp fret at the 6th fret and make it work. That's the point I was trying to make.

Hipshot already makes and has available fanned fret 8 string bridges btw - they're just not on the website.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
It's really not practical as you'd have to completely redesign the back end, which would lose the through-body mounting that is one of the advantages of the design.

Seems simple enough - instead of bolting the tailpiece through the body with 2 bolts, each saddle has it's own bolt.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Seems simple enough - instead of bolting the tailpiece through the body with 2 bolts, each saddle has it's own bolt.

True but it would also be a hell of a lot more work to install. I guess we'll find out what they decided to do when Schaller releases them since Hannes said they're coming :lol:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
To date I've still only played the Hannes on one guitar (Misha's koa BM) but I was really impressed with it, I'd love to check it out on a 7-string build for sure! :yesway:

4Eyes

Reaction score
Schaller and Roland, I hate you!!! now I have to put custom 7 or 8 string guitar on my GAS list :lol:

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
Why can't you put a normal Hannes bridge on a lefty guitar?

I don't get it. :scratch:

AFAIK The anchor plate/''stoptail'' bar is slanted so that the low E sits further away; you wouldn't be able to intonate a lefty guitar with that setup.

FrancescoFiligoi

Guitarist in Within Destruction / Abiogenesis
Reaction score
Spoke with Vik several times about this and he said he really doesn't like the Hannes' tone: because of its materials, it dampens the high/low frequencies of the guitar a lot, on the other hand he prefers Hipshots since they let the guitar resonate properly.

I personally think my Hannes B2 sounds spectacular but I do agree that the bridge itself adds a lot to the tone and it's not transparent sounding at all.

bridges

Reaction score
Spoke with Vik several times about this and he said he really doesn't like the Hannes' tone: because of its materials, it dampens the high/low frequencies of the guitar a lot, on the other hand he prefers Hipshots since they let the guitar resonate properly.

I personally think my Hannes B2 sounds spectacular but I do agree that the bridge itself adds a lot to the tone and it's not transparent sounding at all.
Maybe your B2 sounds spectacular because the bridge adds a lot to the tone.

4Eyes

Reaction score

I've never had problems with tone of my guitar, it's one of the best sounding instruments I've ever played...but... having metal saddles as option could be nice, I would be definitely interested in trying them.

funny thing is that lot of people complain about tusq saddles, but they are OK with tusq nuts.. and if it's ok material for saddles in acoustic instruments why it cannot be ok for saddles in electric guitars?

bridges

Reaction score
I've never had problems with tone of my guitar, it's one of the best sounding instruments I've ever played...but... having metal saddles as option could be nice, I would be definitely interested in trying them.

funny thing is that lot of people complain about tusq saddles, but they are OK with tusq nuts.. and if it's ok material for saddles in acoustic instruments why it cannot be ok for saddles in electric guitars?
Good point but you have to remember that electric guitars have a long history of using metal bridges which have given them a peculiar, bright sound and there's nothing with that. But at least you now have the option of choosing a more acoustical non metallic bridge.

Walterson

Reaction score
Good point but you have to remember that electric guitars have a long history of using metal bridges which have given them a peculiar, bright sound and there's nothing with that. But at least you now have the option of choosing a more acoustical non metallic bridge.

The Schaller Hannes is the bridge with the bightest sound ever. No other brigde (at least those I have tried so far) comes close to the Hannes in that term. Unplugged it sound almost like an acoustic guitar with piezo elements... very bright but in a nice, not to harsh way. The first guitar I build with that bridge was really an eye opener. I heard frequencies I have heared before on an electric guitar.
BTW: I'm talking about the unplugged sound. Most pickups and pretty much all speakers are the limiting factor for high frequencies when you plug a guitar into an amp.

stuglue

Reaction score
Any news on a release date for these? Any chance of a lefty version?

Koloss85

The Doomslayer
Reaction score
any new updates on these? Also, may be a dumb question, but does your guitar have to be string-thru for these?

')