Schaller locking tuner/Strat compatibility

• Thread starter henrebotha
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

henrebotha

Reaction score
I want to fit my Mexi Strat with Schaller (bottom-)locking tuners. However, what I can't figure out is whether or not I need to get the "Mini" version. Is this absolutely necessary or will the bigger ones fit too?

in b4 LOL A STRAT THRED IN A METUL FORUM

EDIT: And the other question: Will I need to modify my Strat at all or can I just take out the old tuners and drop in the Schallers with no drilling or sawing or whatever? I'm a horrible carpenter and I have no tools.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
The regular size tuners should be a drop in fit. Tuners need some way to keep them from rotating within the post hole. Schallers are available in 3 flavors: 1) with an external screws or 2) with 2 small internal posts or 3) with 1 small internal post.

Remove one of your tuners and look at the rear of your headstock. You will probably see a pair of small shallow holes in a snakebite pattern next to the tuning post hole. Otherwise you will see a single small hole.

When you buy or order tuners, make sure they have the same pattern of anti-rotation posts. The new tuners will fit with no modification to the headstock. The only tool you'll need is a wrench. It's a 20 minute job or less even for the mechanically challenged.

')