Schaller Locking Tuners

• Thread starter noodles
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
When you drill any of these posts take the drill sizes up gradually. With the Schaller spring loaded pins probably the best method is to drill from one side while holding the pin down from the other with some kind of pointy object. You might want to make it a two person job. You may be able to run the bit straight through, otherwise do one side then flip it over and do the other.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SGB

Reaction score
I had the Schallers on my RG421 but I changed them to the Planet Waves Auto-Trim tuners. I like them WAY better! 18:1 compared to 16:1 also!:agreed:

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
I just got my set yesterday for my ESP, I was able to fit a 52 just fine however still trying to get a 64 to fit without drilling the tuner itself. Anyone had any luck?

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I use a .060 on my JP7, and it *barely* fits... i think that's about the maximum it'll take without drilling.

Benzesp

Banned
Reaction score
Are these a direct replacement for Jackson tuners? I have a COW that I would like to have some lockers on and I dont want to drill holes for Sperzels.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are these a direct replacement for Jackson tuners? I have a COW that I would like to have some lockers on and I dont want to drill holes for Sperzels.

That's what he replaced when he put the Scahllers on. ;)

The Planet Waves AutoTrims are also direct replacements. :yesway:

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
I just took the closest drill bit I had to the string and ran it through the damn tuner. :lol: Worked fine, I could probably use a 70 on my C7 now.

Direct swap for the Grovers too, BTW.

Beta

Reaction score
The ones that say P. have pins to keep the tuner from rotating. The ones that say I. use screws.

Razbo

Reaction score
The Schaller locking knobs are attached pretty much permanently during manufacture. You can get them off but they're damn hard to get back on and are never the same again, so don't try :D
These are the best locking heads :yesway:
Hi, this is the only Google reference I could find regarding replacing Schaller locking knobs. I thought I was clever getting a set quite cheap on ebay because one was missing a knob, and purchasing a replacement knob from another seller.

All purport to be Schaller units and parts. (And they look the same.) Now I am at that "damn hard to get back on" part :p

Are there any tricks? I have never had these tuners before, so I don't want to just put the vicegrips to it or anything like that. Does any one have any advice?

Thanks in advance!!

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
That "I" and "P" thing was of great help man, now i know which ones to grab for my future custom, i think the Pin one will look somewhat cleaner on a custom headsock

Abaddon

+The Destroyer+
Reaction score
where can i buy an in-line set for my 7-string COW with the reverse headstock?

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
id also know the cheapest place to buy a 7 string set, planning on using them on my two custom 7s.

foamy795

Reaction score
I've got schaller locking tuners and i can't get the string off. I loosened the thing on the back of the tuner till it came off but it still won't move. What's the deal? :wallbash:

360-logic

unevenstate
Reaction score
These are my favorite tuning peg by far, I use them on all of my guitars. They hold the best in my opinion, pair them with a nice nut and you have great tuning stability.

')