Schaller tremolo setup (need help)

neurosis

Reaction score
Hello!

So I have a Schaller term that sits above the body, sticks out because of the alignment with a fretboard that also protrudes.

The guitar didn't come with recommended measurements for height and I want to know what the standard setup for these is, just for reference when measuring the rest of your typical adjustments that affect action, playability and intonation.

Anybody know where to get this data or can just share it if you know?

It's a Schaller Floyd.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
The height of the bridge will just end up wherever you're comfortable with the action of the strings over the frets. I suppose you could shim the saddles or the neck pocket to set the action somewhat independently of the height of the bridge, but I wouldn't bother with that unless something makes that necessary.

neurosis

Reaction score
The height of the bridge will just end up wherever you're comfortable with the action of the strings over the frets. I suppose you could shim the saddles or the neck pocket to set the action somewhat independently of the height of the bridge, but I wouldn't bother with that unless something makes that necessary.

So there is not a recommended height for the bridge? I ask because the Edge Pro on my older Ibbies and the PRS tremolo had starting measurements in the leaflets/instructions that came with the guitars.

Thanks for the shim idea though. I don´t think that will be necessary but it´s a good thing to know.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Well, the PRS trem makes sense because the saddles are easily adjustable for height and the height of the bridge can be used to set the amount of pull-up range. Not sure why the height of an Edge Pro would matter other than to set the height of the action.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Schaller trems were used on a lot of different guitars in different fashions, as opposed to the two proprietary trem systems you mentioned.

The simple way, however, is to set action how you like it. :yesway:

neurosis

Reaction score
The Schaller trems were used on a lot of different guitars in different fashions, as opposed to the two proprietary trem systems you mentioned.

The simple way, however, is to set action how you like it. :yesway:

The reason I am mainly asking is to have a point of reference for the setup. This Caparison is the only guitar I have with this and the fretboard and the bridge actually sit a little over the body as opposed as the trem on my PRS and the bridges I was familiar with from ESP and Ibanez.

I have it sort of where I like it but I feel a bit of resistance and buzz on the higher frets on the first three strings. So if I try to play a lead there the notes sort of mute out and don't sustain. I raised it and corrected the problem adding a bit of neck relief but that made me wonder if there is a Schaller recommendation for the initial height. Sort of a point of departure for the setup if you will, same as Ibanez and PRS recommend in their manuals.

:agreed:

neurosis

Reaction score
Well, the PRS trem makes sense because the saddles are easily adjustable for height and the height of the bridge can be used to set the amount of pull-up range. Not sure why the height of an Edge Pro would matter other than to set the height of the action.

That makes sense actually. But PRS recommends also a specific height adjustment for the base of the tremolo, how far it is supposed to stand off the body. And that is the measurement I was looking for in the Schaller.

I should say it's mounted on my Caparison Dellinger, which I adjusted to D Standard recently and am now trying to get as perfect (feeling wise) as possible.