Schecter 8 question

7stringsofdestruction

Reaction score
I havent been able to play one yet and im thinking of ordering one but im curious how much bigger the body is compared to there 7 strings? or are they the same size and the neck is the only thing widened?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Empryrean

angery gear acquirer
Reaction score
:wavey:
I've got a schecter Damien Elite 8, in comparison to my Cort, the body doesn't seem any bigger than it should be. Also; yes, the necks feel wider

AmishRefugee

Reaction score
I have a Hellraiser 6-string and the Damien Elite 8, and both have the exact same sized body. The 8's body is a little thicker though, presumably to account for the bolt-on neck. But yeah, the neck is like 50% wider

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
If you decide to go with a Schecter, I recommend getting a Blackjack ATX C-8. Ebony fret board + Blackout pickups + not covered in ridiculous amount of abalone. I guess that's just a personal opinion though.

If your looking into other cheap 8 strings, I'd definitely look into Agile. I own a Septor Elite 827 EB DC and Its the best investment I've ever made. The Schecter is a 26.5" scale vs the Agile 27" scale which isn't much but extra tension couldn't hurt. It was a close call between the two guitars but the Agile won.

If you do get an 8 string with a shorter scale make sure to buy some heavier gauge strings, unless you want your F# to sound like mud. I went with an .080 and it sounds great. The stock strings for Schecters and Agile's aren't too good.

I jumped from a 6 string to an 8 and it wasn't too much of a challenge, but that's just my experience. Although some of those large chords can hurt after awhile... Sorry for all the info just figured I could throw in my 2 cents

RockerAlex

Reaction score
Well, the neck is obviously going to be much thicker ... when you get used to the 8 your old 6 is going to feel like a snooker cue.

7stringsofdestruction

Reaction score
yea i know the kneck is gonna be a bit bigger than my 7 but i was just cuirious as to the body size but i guess they are the same after all. ive been lookin into agiles just dont know if i trust there stuff... and schecters i know i love there feel and ibanez is out i cant stand any of there sorry excuses for guitars. takes way to much money to make one of them playable for me and i dont like a lot of there necks.

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
If you decide to go with a Schecter, I recommend getting a Blackjack ATX C-8. Ebony fret board + Blackout pickups + not covered in ridiculous amount of abalone. I guess that's just a personal opinion though.

Agreed, I like some of Schecter's high end models, but this is the only 8 string they have that doesn't look garish to me.

AmishRefugee

Reaction score
My Damien Elite 8 doesn't look garish (IMO) but it also doesn't sound that great...

schecter-main-660-80.jpg

RockerAlex

Reaction score
I would never recommend a Schecter 8 after trying one personally ... the scale length isn't long enough to cater for the F# and it will buzz everywhere if you to have low action.

Just my 2 cents.

7stringsofdestruction

Reaction score
i would have to disagree. ive finally gotten to play one and it was actually quite nice to play on. you wanna talk not being able to cater the low Gb? play an esp 8 string with a 25.5 scale now thats bad.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
I only speak from personal experience, 4 different guitar techs told me that if I wanted the low action I'm going for then I need a scale longer than 26.5"

On top of all that the guitar was also defective and got sent back.

7stringsofdestruction

Reaction score
What model did you have and what was defective? idk how low you like your action but my buddy got one and the action pretty damn low strung with 9-11-16-24-32-42-52-74 i think and there is minimal fret buzz but im sure theres always going to be a hair of buzz but nothing that you can hear through the amp.

gr8Har V

dimini....
Reaction score
get a longer scale if u are going to play with a low F# or lower. schecter scales are 26.5" and you really want a 28.625 or more for F# or lower :metal:

RockerAlex

Reaction score
What model did you have and what was defective? idk how low you like your action but my buddy got one and the action pretty damn low strung with 9-11-16-24-32-42-52-74 i think and there is minimal fret buzz but im sure theres always going to be a hair of buzz but nothing that you can hear through the amp.

It was a Hellrasier C-8 and with all the fret buzz on it I can only assume it had uneven frets or a bump in the neck. I had it set up for free in the guitar shop I bought it from and it still wasn't right so I got my money back. As for action, I like it extremely low, like a credit card width off the frets. My problem was that the buzz DID come through the amp.

get a longer scale if u are going to play with a low F# or lower. schecter scales are 26.5" and you really want a 28.625 or more for F# or lower :metal:

Now here's somebody how knows what they're on about. :bowdown::hbang:

7stringsofdestruction

Reaction score
oh man that sucks! ive never had a problem with schecters before but i guess theres always a dud with production guitars. well the only production 27+ scale 8's are agiles and i really dont want an agile so i might be waiting a while for that.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
oh man that sucks! ive never had a problem with schecters before but i guess theres always a dud with production guitars. well the only production 27+ scale 8's are agiles and i really dont want an agile so i might be waiting a while for that.

Yep :/ that's always the way ... so I'm going custom now. Seems to be the only way I'll be truly happy with my guitar.

AmishRefugee

Reaction score
I would never recommend a Schecter 8 after trying one personally ... the scale length isn't long enough to cater for the F# and it will buzz everywhere if you to have low action.

Just my 2 cents.

I haven't had any issues with fret buzz, and it sounds just fine at F# with the .74 that I have. However, intonation seems to go out the window fast tuning any lower than F#

gr8Har V

dimini....
Reaction score
well the only production 27+ scale 8's are agiles and i really dont want an agile so i might be waiting a while for that.

u could get an ibanez RG2228 (28" scale, obviously) but i hear they're bridges are shitty and break on people all the time. IT's also a bolt on neck, which means it has a nice sleek unfinished maple neck, but the sustain won't be quite as good as on a neck-thru design, which u can find on an AGILE. If your not afraid to shell out a lot of money, i'd suggest an RG2228, but just be careful with that bridge.

Now if u want to save money, seriously consider an agile! $800-$900 for an incredible quality guitar that if it were sold at guitar center would easily be worth 1500. You could get an Intrepid, a Septor, an interceptor, or a multi-scale. And they are just beautiful guitars:bowdown:

I'm just curious as to why you don't want one

7stringsofdestruction

Reaction score
the rg2228 is only a 27". the 8 means its an 8 string... and as far as agile im not going that route for sure. just dont trust there stuff

')