Schecter a7 avenger parts?

focusbob

Reaction score
Hello forum,

I have an oldish (early 2000s) Schecter a7 Avenger (diamond series). Ive decided to change the stock pickups (d activators have been recommended). While Im at it, I was thinking of changing out some other parts, but im unsure of whats in there to begin with.

Does anyone have technical specs for this guitar?
1. Grover tuners, gonna keep these.
2. Nut, is it tusq or plastic? Only want to change if plastic...
3. Pots/caps, most likely changing. Ive heard cts pots are too large for schecters...
4. Bridge?
5.Switch, output jack?

I know Schecter uses good parts now, mostly, but not sure with my oldish model. Dont want to change out a superior stock part for an inferior replacement!

Thanks
Jim

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AwakenNoMore

Wrong Handed
Reaction score
I have one, and mine's currently down for modding as well. The bridge is fine, but if you have to go better the Hipshot is the way to go. I can't agree with you pickup choice though, not because of the model, but because of the brand. also, I tired fitting a set of Dimarzio pickups in mine and they don't fit due to the pickup routes being extremely tight tolerance. Basically your stuck with Duncan passives (possibly Bare Knuckles) unless you want to route the, slightly larger then re-paint.

That said, I'm just hooking up a Duncan Blackout preamp to the Duncan designed pickups it came with, it's gunna be really evil.
CTS pots are good, get mini ones if you can just for space but that full size ones do definitely fit, you just have to widen the mounting hole for the wider shaft (giggity).
If your into it, switch the first volume knob with the switch so its closer? probably doing that on mine. The jack doesn't matter, if you stay passive no point to change it.
Get a Graph-Tech nut cut for it and a fret level/polish and it'll play like a wet dream.

All that being said, its probably the coolest guitar in the world, although haters will say different. Schecter was dumb to discontinue the 7 string models.

focusbob

Reaction score
Thanks! Especially for the heads up regarding the Dimarzios. I definitely don't want to do any routing. Hmmm. I was only choosing those because it seemed like most people favor dimarzio passives (or actives) for seven strings on this site (I figured they handled the low B better than duncans). I typically stick with Duncans, but now I'm not sure what to go with. For example, would a Custom bridge 59 neck combo be good for a seven string?

Do you happen to know if alpha pots fit without modifying the mounting hole?

Also, I'd really like to avoid putting money into this guitar in terms of labor, so if the nut is tusq I'd like to leave it (only want to change plastic, not sure what I've got!).

Thanks,
Jim

AwakenNoMore

Wrong Handed
Reaction score
Couldn't tell you if the nut is plastic or not, plus with the guitars being used you never know whats been done to them. Any setup fretwork labor is worth the money.

Don't know anything about alpha pots, I just get whatever, usually CTS's or minis. Honestly for only $50 you can turn those stock pickups that are "meh" into "balls of steel" output levels with just the Seymour Duncan Blackouts Modular pre-amp. Once I get mine wired in i'll let you know how I feel about the setup.

Also: just a thought, the Dimarzio's don't fit because of the slightly larger base plate, this base plate is made of what seems to be plastic. I have a used set of Blaze's that need new lead wires, I'll file them down and tell you how that goes as well (i'll likely still be using the Dimarzio's WITH the pre-amp)

focusbob

Reaction score
Thanks! After you suggested it yesterday I spent a while looking into the pre amp and I'm seriously considering it. Please consider doing a before and after recording of the guitar, it would be really awesome for me, but I think others on the forum would probably be interested as well (specifically, to see how well the pre amp improves stock pickups)!

AwakenNoMore

Wrong Handed
Reaction score
I'd LOVE to record it, however I have zero recording gear currently. We both know how its sounds stock, I'm going to wire it up tonight since i have the night off.. I'll let you know how it improved. My guess it its going to sound like the Blackouts set mostly.

')