Schecter ATX C-8?

• Thread starter Guamskyy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
How does it play? Do the blackouts sound good in it? Also does the seemingly short 26.5 inch scale still have some clarity with the low F#?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CONTEMPT

MIDI ninja
Reaction score
How does it play? Do the blackouts sound good in it? Also does the seemingly short 26.5 inch scale still have some clarity with the low F#?

I have the Damien Elite 8, I can't speak for the pickups of the build of that guitar in particular, but the scale length is the same, and it's fine for me, personally. I don't know how much clarity would be lost by the shorter scale but the F# (or E, for me) string is plenty clear in my opinion. I love my Damien save for the factory strings buzzed a tad and a set .010's fixed that.

Richardscuro

Reaction score
I own both a Hellraiser C-8 and ATX C-8. I do actually prefer the ATX for a lot of stuff. The EMG's sound cool but they definitely are muddier than the Blackouts. The Blackouts have the clarity of a passive pickup but still have that high output and edge you like from an active pickup.

As for the scale length. I know a lot of guys hate 8's with a length less than 27 inches but 26.5 is pretty much my limit due to the size of my fingers and my preference for open string chord voicings when I play clean stuff.

I currently have a 70 gauge string on the F# but I'm going to be moving up to a 76 or maybe an 80.

Bottom line. Great guitar. I love it and would definitely recommend it to others. It plays and sounds great,

AlucardXIX

Is Encircle
Reaction score
I've owned the old cherry Hellraiser c-8 for a year now. I love the guitar, but I cant stand the neck to be honest.

As for the pickups, I'd really prefer the Blackouts...the EMG's are just too typical sounding, since they are in so damn many guitars.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
I love my Damien save for the factory strings buzzed a tad and a set .010's fixed that.

The factory strings ARE .010s....

I also have the DE8 and I got to compare it side-by-side with a BJATX8 recently...the Blackouts definitely sound better than the 808s, but I think I prefer the feel of the DE8 (as well as the fact that it's a bolt-on). I would like to put a Hipshot bridge on my DE8 as well, though.

brutus627

Givah some!
Reaction score
the blackout 8 kills the 808 IMO...i put one in my ltd and it's no contest in my opinion...also when switching back and forth between my 7 with an 81-7 in the bridge it becomes apparent how much more personality the blackout has, i have to do almost a 180 as far as eq'ing goes when switching between guitars long story short im thinking of switching to blackouts in my 7 as well.

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
So good this thing has posi-reviews about it. I might just take this instead of an agile.....let the hate begin.
Reason 1. As much as I like agile, they don't make lefty 8 interceptors and I don't really like the intrepid body.

Reason 2. I've seen the pictures of the agiles with ebony boards and its almost as bright as rosewood, and the atx 8 has IMO a perfect ebony board.

Reason 3. I know price has a big difference in these two, but I just don't see myself getting along with the body, and might get rid of it just for that sake.

TubularTrevor

Lucky and Hardheaded
Reaction score
I have one in vintage white, it's killer. I've never played 7's or 8's until I got it, and I love it. I'd say if you're willing to dish out the extra money, it's worth it. The only problems I had with mine was minor finish flaws (I'm picky about that sorta thing) and needed to be set up a little better. But those things can usually be said about anything that's not American or high end Japanese.

agoz20

Here 4 the Gangbang
Reaction score
i have the blackjack atx c-8 and i prefer it to my agile septor 8, i love the 26.5 scale, it plays just great in drop e ( with a .80 on the low e ) the guitar plays great, love the ebony, and love the mahogany body and neck, great tone. as for the blackouts... im more of a passive guy but they sound great, they make me not want to change the pickups out for passives. nuff said

anne

No privacy hedge.
Reaction score
Thread makes me gas for one, too. I tried it out at a shop expecting it to be unwieldy, especially with my small hands, but it felt as perfect as I could have hoped for, just like my C-1 but more.

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
I have one in vintage white, it's killer. I've never played 7's or 8's until I got it, and I love it. I'd say if you're willing to dish out the extra money, it's worth it. The only problems I had with mine was minor finish flaws (I'm picky about that sorta thing) and needed to be set up a little better. But those things can usually be said about anything that's not American or high end Japanese.

Lucky man, I wish they made vintage white atx c-8s in left handed! They only make the satin black with piss colored binding :noway: But I can deal with that.

Maybe we can petition?:lol:

malphas

Reaction score
I have a Hellraiser C-8 and I love it. To me, the scale length is fine. I think 27" might have been better but the 26.5 does the job. I really like the Schecter neck. For me, it puts my hand into the proper position without me having to fight the neck if that makes sense. It's quite comfortable. The factory gauges, 10-74, work great. If you want to drop the F# to an E I would probably move up to an 80. As ar as EMG's vs. Blackouts, the verdict's still out for me as I haven't had a chance to try the Blackouts for myself, but if you're getting the Blackjack ATX then you're getting Blackouts. The Hellraiser and the Blackjack are made of the same woods and the Hellraiser sounds great so I'm sure the Blackjack does as well.

Latest posts

')