Schecter Blackjack C-8 ATX Questions

• Thread starter johnnyboy102
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyboy102

Reaction score
Okay so I'm looking at getting my self an 8 string for Christmas and at first I was all about the intrepid but then I saw these schecter c-8s and I have to admit they look pretty sexy. Anyway I have a few questions regarding the c-8. Here goes.

1. Is the scale length an issue? I see that it is only 26.5in which is pretty small for an 8 is it not? Ill probably down tune it to F and I'm wondering if the strings will be really loose and buzzy, especially the low F. I already own a 25.5 scale 7 string which I have down-tuned so the B is a low F and obviously the strings are pretty darn loose even with a .72 gauge as the low F. The whole point is to buy a guitar that can actually handle that 8th string.

2. How does the value compare to that of an agile? I know that the Intrepid's are about $200-$300 less than the C-8's but is there a significant difference in playability? Aesthetically I prefer the c-8 over the Intrepid but if the c-8 sucks I'm not going to spend $900 on it.

3. How are the pickups on the c-8? I have never played with blackouts before and I've always been an EMG guy. Anyone have any experience with the 8 string blackouts?

*edit*

4. Also the tuning they have listed for the c-8 is C#/B/E/A/D/G/B/E. is that a typo? I thought 8s were tuned to F#.

Thanks in advance.

PS: This is my first post woo! :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
1. The 26.5 will handle the tuning better than 25.5. It's going to depend on what gauges you use and your playing style, but you know that already. I haven't seen any complaints from any C-8 owners saying there were having issues though.

2. The C-8 will not suck. It is, by all accounts, a great guitar. My personal opinion is that it doesn't seem to be much better, if at all, than the Agiles(this will vary depending on one's desired specs) so the extra cost really isn't merited for me.

3. Not having used them, I'll leave this to someone that has except to say that the 8 string EMG's don't have a very good reputation and that the blackouts, while new, seem to be getting a better response.

4. Yes, I remember seeing that discussed somewhere. It is a typo.

johnnyboy102

Reaction score
Thanks a ton for the response! I think I might go ahead and get the Schecter. Any C-8 owners out there have anything to add?

')