Schecter blackjack sls ex c-8 string questions

• Thread starter blackjackslsc8
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blackjackslsc8

schecterman
Reaction score
My blackjack comes in tomorrow. I have slightly thicker gauge strings (.9-.79) than the stock .74's which come on the guitar. I plan on changing them right away. The only info I could find specific to this model of guitar talks about detuning way down or missing bridge screws, so forgive me for being redundant: can I merely drop the whole thing down a half step or one full to balance out the tension, or will I absolutely have to make a truss rod adjustment? My last cheapo guitar's bridge started to pull out cuz I stuck too heavy strings on it without adjusting anything. I tuned down a half step and that seemed to ease the pressure; I just don't want that to happen to my new baby and I would prefer not to have to take her in to a tech if I can help it. Any suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

erdiablo666

I'm from Canada...and they think I'm slow...eh
Reaction score
You'll probably have to make a truss rod adjustment if you go that thick with the strings, but I doubt anything would happen to the bridge if you didn't. The Blackjack is a high quality guitar from what I understand. Are you set on using that gauge? The neck is 28' so that's going to be a lot of tension.

blackjackslsc8

schecterman
Reaction score
It comes tomorrow. I got .9-.73's as well, just in case. Sounds like those might work better? We shall see tomorrow, but yes, I'm certain I will love it. So if there is too much tension will dropping the whole thing fix that or should I just go with the lighter strings? I don't necessarily care about droptuning, as I think the guitar will sound heavy enough, and would actually prefer to tune to standard with a low f#, or possibly e, like stephen carpenter. Preferrably, I don't want to have to restring the guitar twice if I don't have to, so would like to put the best set on the first time around. If anything, what would you guys do?

blackjackslsc8

schecterman
Reaction score
And also, my name shows up first alphabetically in the box that shows all the live users, so its easier for me to find myself.

Koneko

Reaction score
I use 9-46/60/80 tuned EBGDAEBE on my C-8 and it works fine.

andhand

Reaction score
yeah,agree,I use 9-46/60/80 tuned EBGDAEBE on my C-8 and it works fine.
11.gif

Benny Boy

Reaction score
According to the data sheet the C-8 comes with .80. I'm gonna be trying a Circle K .086 in drop E to match the tension of a .059 on my C7 Hellraiser in B standard.

fiVqh.jpg

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
And also, my name shows up first alphabetically in the box that shows all the live users, so its easier for me to find myself.

whenever your logged in it always shows you up top. :agreed: as for me i would probably Tune to- E A E A D G B E

i love this tuning because it puts it in a standard drop-A tuning with the low E. total badass 8 string tuning.

Koneko

Reaction score
According to the data sheet the C-8 comes with .80. I'm gonna be trying a Circle K .086 in drop E to match the tension of a .059 on my C7 Hellraiser in B standard.

I'm pretty sure my C-8 came with a .074. Surely not a .080 cause I had to fill the tuner hole to fit a .080.
You can see the standard gauge/tuning here : F.A.Q.F.A.Q. - Schecter Guitar Research

Except the low F#, the strings were really too tight for me... 10-64 on a 28" :lol:

That being said, this stock "new 8-string ex string gauge" would be great. Where did you find that data sheet ?
Circle K .086 will probably be perfect as I find the .080 a bit floppy tuned in E.

Benny Boy

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure my C-8 came with a .074. Surely not a .080 cause I had to fill the tuner hole to fit a .080.
You can see the standard gauge/tuning here : F.A.Q.F.A.Q. - Schecter Guitar Research

Except the low F#, the strings were really too tight for me... 10-64 on a 28" :lol:

That being said, this stock "new 8-string ex string gauge" would be great. Where did you find that data sheet ?
Circle K .086 will probably be perfect as I find the .080 a bit floppy tuned in E.

I found the data sheet on another ss.org thread:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ex...209891-questions-schecter-sls-c-8-owners.html

Benny Boy

Reaction score

I found the data sheet on another ss.org thread:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ex...209891-questions-schecter-sls-c-8-owners.html

It it's not .80 then that's hours of work on the string calculator down the drain :noplease:

CanniballistiX

Detuned Fury
Reaction score
It's gotta be an .080, my old RG8 had a .074 and my C8 always felt larger and less floppy. I am just about to get strings and will be balancing the tension.

BMMA

Reaction score
I'm getting a brand new SLS C-8 in a couple of days.
I can measure the strings with a caliper if you'd like to know?

')