SCHECTER C-7 SLS ELITE

Juantime_at_bandcamp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So, I guess this is the same old thing as always, but I got myself a Schecter C-7 SLS elite last year (Fixed bridge), and my other axe is an Ibanez Prestige RG 7 (25.5) with a perfect action.

I am struggling to find an action that I am happy with without too much fret buzz on the C7.
Ive had the frets looked at by a luthier, and one of the frets are a *little* bit higher than the rest, but the buzz doesn't only happen there (Currently running 10's)

Currently my string height is at bout 1.6 mm high E, and 2.0 mm Low E with slight buzz, which I guess is fine, but shouldn't it be able to go slightly lower without much buzz?

Then I also wanted to ask: What effect do 09' strings have on action and buzz, and taking into account that the scale length is 26.5?

I know there's a lot to unpack here, but I was hoping someone with more knowledge could help me a bit, as I'm good at doing my own setups, but have no idea if I'm over thinking the action or not.

Maybe Im spoilt with my Ibanez, and the Schecter just wont be able to reach that level of low action and sustain?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
Buzz is determined by string height, string tension, fret levels, nut slots, bridge/saddle height, and neck relief. If a luthier was looking at the frets, they should've been looking at all of those things. A comptetent luthier working on a guitar that isn't outright broken (eg, broken truss rod) should be able to easily get the action to where you like it (within reason) though it may involve levelling frets and re-cutting the nut.

Swapping from .010s to .009s in the same tuning without making any other adjustments will mean lower string tension and *probably* more buzz.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Does the buzz come through the amp?

Juantime_at_bandcamp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So he did look at all these for me at the time.
Like I said, I usually do my own setups and Im not too bad at it.
Im just really struggling with this guitar.
I only asked him to look at fret height for me.
Buzz is determined by string height, string tension, fret levels, nut slots, bridge/saddle height, and neck relief. If a luthier was looking at the frets, they should've been looking at all of those things. A comptetent luthier working on a guitar that isn't outright broken (eg, broken truss rod) should be able to easily get the action to where you like it (within reason) though it may involve levelling frets and re-cutting the nut.

Swapping from .010s to .009s in the same tuning without making any other adjustments will mean lower string tension and *probably* more buzz

')