Schecter C7 Blackjack

• Thread starter Nick1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nick1

Reaction score
I really need a new 7 string. Im really thinking of the Schecter C7 Blackjack. But Ive never played it.

I assume some of you have so I have a few questions.....

1. Im not a huge fan of really thick necks, I hear this neck is huge how big is it compaired to say a 7620?

2. Is the neck painted?

3. Hows the neck joint? is it as nice as the Ibanez AANJ?

4. I have 2 EMG 81-7 pickups that I want to put in it but have them direct mounted. No Pickup Rings!!! I know that addtional routing will need to be done to accomidate the extra size of the Emgs which is fine, but will the routing cover the 4 holes (per pickup) that were there to hold down the pickup ring? I really dont want holes in my guitar!

5. How does the "feel" of the 26.5 differ from the 25.5 on an Ibanez 7620?

6. How is the playability compaired to say (yup you guessed it) a 7620?

Thanks,
Nick

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dav2321

Reaction score
I have a Blackjack and a 7421- the C 7 neck is thicker-painted-access is not very good at the joint and there is no arm relief cut. That being said the C 7 is still a fine instrument with a solid feel to it and great pickups. The first time I played it a comparison to a baseball bat came to mind. For straight playability the IBZ is great. After playing my other 7s for a while I'll pick up the IBZ and notice how much easier it is to play the neck VS the other 7s.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
my personal opinion is that the c7 neck is uncomfortable, but i think i'm in the minority. i like a slightly longer scale, but don't care for the shape either.

bracky

Contributor
Reaction score
I have larger than average hands and to me the C-7 neck feels awesome. Sure it's defenitly thicker then a Ibanez neck but it's still very comfortable. I agree that high fret access isn't as good as on the Ibanez either but the 26.5" scale really sings! I wouldn't trade mine for anything. :)

Nick1

Reaction score
so the neck really is that big?!

What would you guys rather have an Ibanez RG7621 or the C7 Blackjack?

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Nick1 said:
so the neck really is that big?!

What would you guys rather have an Ibanez RG7621 or the C7 Blackjack?

Personally I'd rather have an Ibanez RG7621, but I think either one is cool. I like the Ibanez necks much more than the Schecters. Besides, I'd like a hardtail version of the RG7620.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I, on the other hand, have kinda developed a thing for a Blackjack. I'm not big on finished necks, guitars without arm contours, fixed bridge guitars, or mahgany, or black guitars for that matter, but... Idunno, I want one. :)

If I was to have just one, though? It'd be much closer. I'd want to spend some playtime with both of them before deciding,b ut for now, since I already havbe a UV, the "different" guitar would win out.

Nick1

Reaction score
Ive owned 2 7621s and a 7620 and both the 7621s necks warped in less than 6 months. The 7620 wasnt that comfortable for me and I didnt like the trem. So Im kinda leaning away from Ibanez. But havent completely decided against them.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
>>1. Im not a huge fan of really thick necks, I hear this neck is huge how big is it compaired to say a 7620?<<

Don't know about a comparison but the neck is thick though I find it comfortable but certainly not as comfortable as the neck on my crappy Ibanez AX7221.

>>2. Is the neck painted?<<

Yes. But it's really nice. Your hands don't stick to it as I initially thought they might. I've had no problems with the painted neck at all.

>>3. Hows the neck joint? is it as nice as the Ibanez AANJ?<<

I love the neck joint. I find it to be smooth and give very good access.

>>4. I have 2 EMG 81-7 pickups that I want to put in it but have them direct mounted. No Pickup Rings!!!<<

Umm, then why not buy one of the 7 string Schecters with EMG's already in?? Like the Hellraiser or Damien.

>>5. How does the "feel" of the 26.5 differ from the 25.5 on an Ibanez 7620?<<

Well first... how does it sound? It sounds awesome and better than shorter scale if you like deep aggressive tone. Also, if you're downtuning you'll have no problems adjusting the intonation. Now, how does it feel? Well... it definitely is more straining on your hands at times but you get used to it. You'll definitely get hand fatigue at shorter intervals at first but you'll adjust unless you have small hands.

>>6. How is the playability compaired to say (yup you guessed it) a 7620?<<

It plays awesome. I have no problem playing it neck wise and the like but there is one small thing that really annoyed the shit out of me at first and that's the lack of arm contouring on the body. But now I'm completely used to it and don't even notice it at all unless I really press my arm hard against the edge which doesn't occur from playing but more of leaning to get something and holding the guitar tight so it doesn't fall off my lap.

Rev.

Nick1

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. I dont want the hellraiser or the damian cause I dont like the placement of the toggle. Im a picky bastard I know. I dont have small hands but about medium Id say. For example I am uncomfortable playing a Gibson SG the neck is too base ball bat like.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I have just sold my Blackjack. It sounds great and plays well, but I can't get used to the long scale--however, I like my strings really loose and floppy, so I'm weird that way. The neck is definitely thick--Not the thickest 7-string neck I've played, but toward the higher end of that scale. That's actually kind of nice, however, because it takes more effort to bend the strings on a long-scale 7, and the thicker neck allows you to 'anchor' your hand so you can more easily bend the strings. I've got a 7621 now, and it fits my needs just fine, though I think the Schecter is overall a nicer instrument.

')