few days ago, and recieved it today. There were no cosmetic flaws,

everything looked to be in place, action was a BIT low, intonation was fine. I

tested out the Neck pickup, and the middle toggle of the two pickups

combined. When testing out the bridge pickup, the tone was VERY weak. It is

to my knowledge that the bridge pickup is generally the rougher one. Its

what im used to. But this literally sounds a very very weak overdrive. I dont

know what the issue is.

Also, the pickups are ofcourse the EMG HZ7's

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

beneharris

Reaction score
i've never used those ones, but i know that they aren't the best pickups around. have you checked the connection? its possible that one of the connections slipped off, i believe those ones are the solderless connectors aren't they?

Boombaby

Reaction score
Im not sure. I know how to play guitar but i am very unfamiliar with the mechanics of the hardware. But how do I check the connection?

Ckackley

Reaction score
I've got one of those as a back up guitar . I honestly don't think the HZ's are as bad as everyone says. A little EQ and they sound pretty damn good. Anyways, the neck and bridge on mine sound about even in volume output with the bridge having a little more bite. I'd definately check the wiring.

beneharris

Reaction score
Im not sure. I know how to play guitar but i am very unfamiliar with the mechanics of the hardware. But how do I check the connection?
just unscrew the bigger of the two black covers on the back. they are in there. if you don't know what your doing, i would find someone who does though

Boombaby

Reaction score
I've got one of those as a back up guitar . I honestly don't think the HZ's are as bad as everyone says. A little EQ and they sound pretty damn good. Anyways, the neck and bridge on mine sound about even in volume output with the bridge having a little more bite. I'd definately check the wiring.
Okay. How exactly can I check this? I know i sound like a complete noob, even though ive played for a good 2 1/2 years. I really dont know how though :/ and if there is a problem with wiring, how can I fix this? Also, My neck pickup has MUCH more bite than my bridge. My bridge sounds like distortion from a low-quality 10 watt $50 travel amp. while my neck sounds like the quality i would expect from EMGs.

Kidneythief

Reaction score
Umm...if there are stock pickups(EMG-HZ) in it then it they should be passive, so no need for a battery change. :scratch:

spawnsc

Reaction score
if I was you I would take it back to the place you bought it since it was only a few days ago and have them fix it for you.

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
Both pickups in that guitar are passive, what part of Musician Friend's listing made you think one of them was active?

Deadfall

Reaction score
I had an ltd many years ago with those HZs in it.Junk man..bite the bullet if you wanna keep the guitar.You WILL need new PUs.

asphyx123

LRRG
Reaction score
I'm guessing the pickup height is ok. I don't think you can sink it so far into the body that you would get the described defect. Pretty much sounds like a cold soldering joint.
But as someone stated. As the guitar was just bought bring/send it back and have it fixed.

I think the Hz are not that bad. Still I replaced the ones in mine by something with more punch (SD distortion and invader if i remember right). I'm selling mine on german ebay atm btw. if somebody reads this and is interested =).