Schecter Debate: Loomis TOM Or C-7 Blackjack ATX???

• Thread starter ESPImperium
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DarkKnight369

Schecter Whore
Reaction score
Thats the vid im listening to on YouTube at the moment.

The ATX is darker and tighter sounding, the Loomis is brighter but a little looser sounding in the video.

How heavy is the ATX compaired to the Loomis??? Can/has anyone weigh/weighed one???

Well this thread inspired me to crank my rig up and give each a whirl to really nail the differences. The blackouts and the ATX are just more crushing. Its got a heavier sound, for lack of a better descriptor. I think someone on here said it best, the blackouts are more metal.:metal:

Both guitars are pretty different tonally. I prefer playing on the ATX because it seems more of the low end details come through, where on the Loomis, just the higher stuff shines through. The best way I can describe it is that the Loomis with 707's seems to produce a more higher ranger 80's and 90's metal tone, where the ATX is more bone crushing and made for today's brutal metal. Of course, both axes can do anything well, but for me the ATX is the winner.

I really think the Loomis is going to slay when I put 2 blackout neck p'ups in. The thing will be an absolute monster, and I may have a hard time deciding. Although feel wise, like I have said before, the ATX is just more at home for me.

As far as weight goes, the ATX is a little lighter I think. I don't think there is much of a difference. I believe my Schecter C-1 Jolly Roger weighs more than both guitars do.

Are the frets any different between the two?

As far as what? Type of frets, spacing, etc? They seem identical to me, the only difference is the fretboard feel, since one is ebony, and one is sealed maple.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blackout

Reaction score
Ok, thats good to hear. I just heard a few comments when the Loomis first came out about it having noticably larger frets when compared to the hellraisers at the time, not sure how true that is, but I prefer big frets.
Thanks

ESPImperium

@ESPImperium
Reaction score
DarkKnight, on what youve said on the tone purposes, i think its gonna be a Blackjack ATX im gonna go for, as im after a 7er that is just a pure chrusher in terms of tone.

Something that can do Petrucci/Dream Theater (This Dying Soul/Jaws Of Life) to Fear Factory (newer stuff) to Unearth stuff. Basically a good crushing distortion.

Im gonna see if i can get it on order in the Satin Black and replace the horrid black nickel with gold hardware.

DarkKnight369

Schecter Whore
Reaction score
Sounds good. A Loomis with blackouts might work well for you too. I mean the Loomis as is will work, but I think the ATX is just more brutal sounding.

I am looking to replace the black nickel hard ware on my white one with the old blackout treatment. Apparently WD music will sell a 7 string set of grovers to replace the stock ones. That came straight from grover, and I emailed WD music to confirm.

Ok, thats good to hear. I just heard a few comments when the Loomis first came out about it having noticably larger frets when compared to the hellraisers at the time, not sure how true that is, but I prefer big frets.
Thanks

Do you mean the fret spacing, or the size of the actual frets themselves? The spacing is identical because they are both 24 fret, 26.5" scale guitars. The actually metal frets should be the same as well. I did read about problems with the frets not being crowned right, thus appearing larger. Maybe that is what you are thinking of.

blackout

Reaction score
Sounds good. A Loomis with blackouts might work well for you too. I mean the Loomis as is will work, but I think the ATX is just more brutal sounding.

I am looking to replace the black nickel hard ware on my white one with the old blackout treatment. Apparently WD music will sell a 7 string set of grovers to replace the stock ones. That came straight from grover, and I emailed WD music to confirm.

Do you mean the fret spacing, or the size of the actual frets themselves? The spacing is identical because they are both 24 fret, 26.5" scale guitars. The actually metal frets should be the same as well. I did read about problems with the frets not being crowned right, thus appearing larger. Maybe that is what you are thinking of.
No I mean the actual size of them, as in one guitar maybe having jumbos and the other having extra jumbos. But that may have been crowning issues indeed, I just remember reading people on here saying the loomis had massive frets when they first came out and I'm in love with the fretwork on mine. Sadly, the floyd means it has to go and i'll get getting a ATX in a few weeks, just hope i don't get a dodgy one.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
HE WANTS VERSATILITY. 3 KNOBS VS 1.

if i want versatility, there's no way in hell im buying a guitar with just a volume knob.

:squint:

Rigor Mortis

ur so oppealin ,,.!
Reaction score
I'd go for the ATX, honestly. Now, if it was a Loomis FR, thats a diff story.

Also, can you mix Blackouts and EMGs? I wouldn't think so, but its worth a shot.

I'd love a 707TW/Blackout combo

Musza

Reaction score
I just got mail from schecter:

Model Width@ nut Width@12th Thickness@1st Thickness@12th Radius Profile

C-7 BJ ATX 48mm 61.3mm 21mm 22.5mm 16" Thin-U

Jeff Loomis 48mm 61.3mm 21mm 22.5mm 16" Thin-U

They have the same neck shape.

Thanks,
Colin Alflen
Assistant Production Manager

Schecter Guitar Research
1840 Valpreda Street
Burbank, CA 91504
Phone: 818-846-2700 x-313
colin@schecterguitars.com
www.schecterguitars .com
modify_inline.gif

DarkKnight369

Schecter Whore
Reaction score
I just got mail from schecter:

Model Width@ nut Width@12th Thickness@1st Thickness@12th Radius Profile

C-7 BJ ATX 48mm 61.3mm 21mm 22.5mm 16" Thin-U

Jeff Loomis 48mm 61.3mm 21mm 22.5mm 16" Thin-U

They have the same neck shape.

Thanks,
Colin Alflen
Assistant Production Manager

Schecter Guitar Research
1840 Valpreda Street
Burbank, CA 91504
Phone: 818-846-2700 x-313
colin@schecterguitars.com
www.schecterguitars .com
modify_inline.gif

My conclusion is that the White ATX neck is slightly thicker due to the gloss finish. Not much though. I imagine the black ATX is identical.

greyanaroth

Wankmaster W-9
Reaction score
Wow the loomis and ATX neck are the same profile, dimensions yadda yadda???? That just demolished any doubts about the ATX for me :) Mahogany baby! Oooh yeah!

headibanez

Reaction score
its fuuny cause this week i found out there was a hard tail version of the loomis and i was so set on getting one till i saw dark knights vids, it will def be the atx for me, thanks so much,

Mwoit

Reaction score
you want versatility? get the blackjack.

2 vol and 1 tone knob, vs 1 volume knob.. tis really a no-brainer..

+1

What shop has stocked the Loomis in Glasgow? I got mine at Merchant City for £699 in April or May! :mad:

(But I love it nonetheless! :hbang:)

Fuck, necro bump. >_>

Reaction score
I had the same thing picking between the two.
I ended up getting the Blackjack ATX as I'm a sucker for matt black finishes and so far I haven't been disappointed with it.
Nice neck size, I have fairly large hands but never the less it's still thinner than most Schecter's I have played.
I played the Loomis TOM in a shop in Birmingham, the actual feel of playing the guitar is mostly the same, I think it's a bit lighter and the necks a tad thinner.
Personally I prefer the feel and the sound of the Blackjack. One chunky ass sound to it.

')