Schecter five way switch

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
So I get home last night and I'm messing around with the my brand spanking new Schecter C7 Blackjack and I'm going though all the positions on the five way switch and position three is just godly. It's big and fat and just sounds like hot buttered sex. Silly me I assume it's both humbuckers on. Well I check Schecter's web site and it's not both humbuckers on it's the coil closest to the neck from each pickup wired is series. It sounds heavenly. I'm not sure if it's the pickups (Duncan JB and 59) or the spacing the two coils or whatever, but I totally dig that sound.

I would totally wire any two humbucker guitar to have this sound. :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
All counts - pickups, choice of coils plus wiring. The most important is - YOU LOVE THE SOUND :)

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
My Ibanez's position 2 is outside neck pickup coil + the outside bridge pickup coil. Similar. Sounds like Skynyrd

Is it series?

scott from _actual time_

grumpy old man
Contributor
Reaction score
it's the coil closest to the neck from each pickup wired is series. It sounds heavenly.
neat. i wonder if they got the idea from PRS--one of the PRS rotary switch positions is two of the dual humbucker coils in series. but i think it's inner coils, not closest-to-neck coils.

i was never a huge fan of that combination, so i wire my weird switching schemes to have more coil combinations in parallel. maybe i should give series another shot....

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
The PRS rotary switch is outer coils in series. Mine works similarly but the coils selected are slightly different. Plus it's not on a damn rotary switch. :lol:

scott from _actual time_

grumpy old man
Contributor
Reaction score
i love humbucker coil combinations in parallel for approximating that strat-y quack. maybe someday i'll get humbuckers that're made like single coils with pole magents instead of bar ones, like Rio Grandes.

The PRS rotary switch is outer coils in series. Mine works similarly but the coils selected are slightly different. Plus it's not on a damn rotary switch. :lol:
agreed about the damn rotary switch! i used the Megaswitch that gave PRS combinations.

on either of those switches, you can tweak which coils it gives you in the middle positions by changing which "way" or "direction" you wire the humbucker. most pickup company instructions have the hot wire coming from the inner coil and the ground wire coming from the outer coil. if you swap those on for the other, you can get different coils in the middle positions.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm overjoyed with the sound so far. Last night I left in position 3 75% of the time I played it. It just sounded the best for most of what I was playing.

abstract

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the 5 way switch in my blackjack. I can't understand how to wire it properly. Nothing about it seems in any way logical. Can anyone with experience with these things tell me how they work?

')