Schecter Hellraiser C7 or Special C7?

• Thread starter gastoncba
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gastoncba

Reaction score
Hello! I am about to buy a new seven string and i have to decide between the Schecter Hellraiser C7 or the Schecter Hellraiser Special C7, i have done some research at Schecter web site and found out some major differences between them:

Pickups: C7 has EMG707, Special C7 81/85-7
Tuners: C7 has Schecter Locking, Special C7 has Schecter (not locking i suppose...)
Neck: C7 3 piece mahogany - C7 special Maple

Everything else is similar between both guitars, despise some aestethic differences...

So, if the info on schecter web site is correct, this are the differences between them, what do you think is better?

I play death metal, djent.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I'd go with d special, 81-7 on d bridge sounds much better than d 707.
Better yet, wich I thing is the best regular schecter around, the C-7 Custom,
you get an ebony board, a 3pc maple neck, the locking tuners and passive routing with some nice SD'S in with.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I haven't tried the 81-7 but the 81/85 six string EMGs sound much better to me than my 707s so assuming the 7string versions are the same then I would go for the C-7 special since I don't like the bridge 707. The maple neck will brighten up the guitar more if that is what your looking for tone wise. The hellraiser is quite dark sounding since its all mahogany. The normal C-7 has better inlays though IMO and locking tuners are a godsend. Your best bet is to try both of them out.

If you don't mind medium frets then the C-7 custom is an another option as stated above. Its a lot brighter than the hellraiser with more snap/attack when you pick. Also it is routed for passive pickups and comes with locking tuners.

gastoncba

Reaction score
Thanks for your replys guys, i am aware of the existence of the C7 custom but it is not available yet in my country and i need an active guitar pickup. So it is between the C7 and Special C7. My main concern is the lack of locking tuners on the Special C7... i guess the 81/85-7 set was the cause of the removal of locking tuners, to keep the price of the guitar low... but i can afford some locking tuners, its not that big problem.

Other question is about the guitars size, i own a Demon 7 and really like the body size, and general construction... is the special c7 the same size? where can i get that info, because in the schecter size there is rather little info on the guitar...

Update: C7 custom IS available here... will check it out but i need the active pickups... also, schecter site offers tech spec in pdf but it still lacking of body size specs... i need to know if the c7s are similar in size to the demon 7.

metalheadblues

Reaction score
I have the c7 special in black cherry
It is an amazing guitar..the only set back to the guitar is the tuner..it goes ever so slighty outta tune..but its seriously a great guitar for the price

gastoncba

Reaction score
I have the c7 special in black cherry
It is an amazing guitar..the only set back to the guitar is the tuner..it goes ever so slighty outta tune..but its seriously a great guitar for the price

Thanks for the answer, yes i also think it is a shame it doesnt have locking tuners, i guess that is an investment to be made... could you tell me if the body is similar in size to the demon 7?

gastoncba

Reaction score
Hellraiser special??? I owned a white one for a week. EMG 707tw pickups.

Hellraiser Special carries EMG 81/85-7 pickups, maybe you are referring to the Hellraiser ("standard") which carries 707s. But i didnt get your reply because is not very elaborated and im not so good with english... sorry about that!
Thanks anyway for answering!

GSingleton

Sleep on, Fly on
Vendor
Reaction score
Hellraiser Special carries EMG 81/85-7 pickups, maybe you are referring to the Hellraiser ("standard") which carries 707s. But i didnt get your reply because is not very elaborated and im not so good with english... sorry about that!
Thanks anyway for answering!

This is the one I owned: Schecter Guitar Research Hellraiser C-7 7-String Electric Guitar and more Solid Body Electric Guitars at GuitarCenter.com.

Sorry, thought it was special. They have it still used and its brand spanking new at a guitar center in Lexington, Ky. Very Good price if you were able to get it, but since you appear to maybe be overseas it may not be possible.

gastoncba

Reaction score
This is the one I owned: Schecter Guitar Research Hellraiser C-7 7-String Electric Guitar and more Solid Body Electric Guitars at GuitarCenter.com.

Sorry, thought it was special. They have it still used and its brand spanking new at a guitar center in Lexington, Ky. Very Good price if you were able to get it, but since you appear to maybe be overseas it may not be possible.

Yes, thats right, i live in Argentina, but still i can get those models, i like to buy new guitars not used, may have to do with some obsessive problem haha. Right now i am reconsidering getting the C7 Custom, which is perfect except for the passive pickups... somehow i cant get around the idea of passive pickups in 7 string guitars... in the other hand is the Special C7 which is great except for the lack of locking tuners... damn this schecter guitars always have one flaw in which otherwise would be a perfect guitar for me...:rolleyes:

GSingleton

Sleep on, Fly on
Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, thats right, i live in Argentina, but still i can get those models, i like to buy new guitars not used, may have to do with some obsessive problem haha. Right now i am reconsidering getting the C7 Custom, which is perfect except for the passive pickups... somehow i cant get around the idea of passive pickups in 7 string guitars... in the other hand is the Special C7 which is great except for the lack of locking tuners... damn this schecter guitars always have one flaw in which otherwise would be a perfect guitar for me...:rolleyes:

Definitely, Amen on the buying new if possible. I can be the same way.
As for the passive pickups, You could always upgraded to a "better" passive pickup such as BKP or etc.

metalheadblues

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer, yes i also think it is a shame it doesnt have locking tuners, i guess that is an investment to be made... could you tell me if the body is similar in size to the demon 7?
Sry man never play a Demon but i play a damien 6 and an older c7 hellraiser and it just felt wayyyyy better..Even prefered it to a dean rc7x
Give it a try i don't think you would be dissapointed
Hellraiser Special C-7 - Schecter Guitar Research :hbang: i love my guitar :bowdown:

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score

You could always get locking tuners put in. I'm hoping to get a hold of a Schecter custom shop guitar in the next month but if I wasn't I would pick up a C-7 custom. Guitarists have used passives for years in seven strings. Just look at some Dream Theatre/Periphery/Scar Symmetry clips to see how tight passive pickups can be on the low B string.

gastoncba

Reaction score
You could always get locking tuners put in. I'm hoping to get a hold of a Schecter custom shop guitar in the next month but if I wasn't I would pick up a C-7 custom. Guitarists have used passives for years in seven strings. Just look at some Dream Theatre/Periphery/Scar Symmetry clips to see how tight passive pickups can be on the low B string.

Sure! I love those bands, but i tune ADGCFAD ie a whole step down... you think in that low tuning a passive pickup would be good? i really dont have the choice to test it because the guitar is to be ordered so i have to research before deciding, the best i can...

What locking tuners would be good? sperzel?what model?

GSingleton

Sleep on, Fly on
Vendor
Reaction score
Passive can be setup to play just as tight as actives. Periphery plays in drop Ab. They process their sound through an axefx of course. I have passive stock pickups on my ibanez RGD7321 and I have it set up to be as tight as they can be without dropping new ones it. So it is possible.

Syriel

owns a .strandberg*
Reaction score
Sure! I love those bands, but i tune ADGCFAD ie a whole step down... you think in that low tuning a passive pickup would be good? i really dont have the choice to test it because the guitar is to be ordered so i have to research before deciding, the best i can...

What locking tuners would be good? sperzel?what model?

Passives would take that tuning just fine. I've seen and heard lower, they still sound just right and tight.

As for locking tuners, I'll recommend you the Planet Waves Auto Trim Locking Tuners. They hold tune well, and you can cut your string without any hassle.

DAddarioPlanet Waves » Instrument Accessories > Parts & Accessorie » Auto-Trim Tuning Machines

Latest posts

')