Schecter Hellraiser C8 Modified

Cesarguitar

Reaction score
Hello friends, i want a 8 string guitar, i see the Schecter hellraiser c8, it's looks amazing but there's a little problem, i want a really really versatile guitar ( i play jazz,fusion,prog,blues,etc).

I think its a good idea replaces the stock emg pickups for a set of dimarzio (maybe the new tosin signature) or the lace alumitone x bars pickups, i want a coil tap on the guitar too.

What do you think? Good or bad idea?. As you can see, i'm not a metal player (but i really like play some metal sometimes lol) i'm more in the jazz-prog-fusion area, i want a really great clean tone,my main lead tone is like a overdrive but very clean.

PD: If you know another great 8 string guitar, please tell me :shred:

Greetings and sorry for my english :squint:

Cesar

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
I have a C8 Hellraiser Special and before I got it, I was thinking pretty much have exactly what you wrote above. Oddly enough though, I find myself really quite liking the EMG808s. The neck pickup sounds absolutely glorious for clean stuff, and the bridge is solid for gain sounds. The output isn't as ridiculously high as I was expecting.

I do recommend doing the 18 volt mod (there is enough room in the control cavity for a second battery with no problems.

I say give the 808 pickups a shot before you write them off, as you may be surprised.

Cesarguitar

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, you are right, i was thinking in that too, i heard some clean demos of the EMG and sounds really great. BTW what do you think about the 26.5 scale?

vansinn

Reaction score
I've never played the C8, but do own a Riot 8 ltd (see my profile for links to threads about it).

26.5" scale is in my opinion just at the low end of scale for tuning low, but it all depends on how crisp you requite your low string.s
I currently tune it G1# - F4#, i.e. one full note up, using Ernie Ball 075+055 bass strings for the two lower ones, which works fairly well. Top string is D'Addario 008.
I need to be able to bend all strings quite a lot, so I can't use heavy gauges.

Active EMG 808's aren't nearly as bad as some likes to comment.
Especially the neck one sounds really good for my needs, but I might replace the bridge for one with a Bit more 'beef' and definition in it ;) Oh well, I've had it for a year or so, and still haven't replaced it, so...

Cesarguitar

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, well, i was thinking in tune the guitar in standard 8 string tuning or with a low E, what do you think?.

I see a lot of videos of the hellraiser in standard or with the low string down to E and sounds good, but i'm not a master in this area (i am a noob in 8 string guitars) and i need opinions.

And of course, i need to try the EMG pickups before, maybe i don't need to replaces them.

vansinn

Reaction score
There's a lot of Schecter 8-string players in here, so my comments may spark some answers ;h)

I honestly consider the 26.5" scale too short for low tunings, which I why I up-tuned to A1-G4 (i.e. a high G tuning).
I need clarity and crispy tone on the low string up to at least 10th-12th fret, which isn't doable at this scale, as a too thick string is needed.

However, how it'll work totally depends on how you intend to use it.
If you use the low string mainly for low notes, playing up to 6-7th fret, the tone can be ok.
But a low E is utterly unthinkable to me at this scale; I'd need a 28" scale for this.

Whatever.. you'll need to experiment with suitable strings. Many uses bass strings, as do I.
I have the best experiences with Ernie Ball bass strings.
The ball will stick out a bit from the ferrules, but it's not a problem.
Just beware that the tuners will take a 075 max; for heavier strings you'll need to unwind part of the wrappings. Don't use Rotosound bass strings, as they are winded with soft wrap wire at low speeds, so they'll unwind like a rattlesnake, haha.

Cesarguitar

Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion, well, i was thinking, i need a guitar with 27 scale (for the low E tuning) but schecter don't have 27 scales 8 string (they have 28 scale). I was thinking in agile, the Septor pro 827 is one of my options. I really want a 8 string with the Drop E tuning or the standard tuning.

But i thinking buy the guitar in 2013, and maybe in 2013 we have more options, can't wait for the NAMM show.

tonecat

Reaction score
Just my two cents, 27" is the perfect scale for versatility in standard tuning. Long enough for stability on the low end, short enough for good tone on the high end. Also if you are doing more than just chugging on the low strings the EMG 808 are great for variety of sound. I use mine for everything jazz,metal, even country chicken pickin. I don't mean to offend anyone these are just my thoughts.
:shred:

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
I have the 26.5" Schecter tuned to drop E with a ZOG 8 string set on it at the moment. I like the sound and playability, but the lowest few notes on the low E string are pretty muddy.

I am looking at picking up an Ibanez RG8 sometime - I'm definitely interested to try the 27" scale and they look like insane value for money.

Orsinium

Reaction score
Just wait another month or so and get the new ibanez s8 guitar mahogany body and quilted maple top and passive routed pickups so switching in those dimarzios should be a breeze and look good ;)

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
I did a comparison yesterday with my friend's Schecter Diamond C8 and my RGA8, both tuned to F# standard tuning using a 0.070 for the F#.

The 26.5" scale on the Schecter plays like a normal guitar, you hardly notice the scale is longer. The Ibanez with a 27" scale asks more effort to play and you will notice that 0.5" difference.

Tonewise, you hear the Schecter go sharp just after the attack and then going down to the tuned pitch. Boooiiinnnggggg. With the Ibanez you don't hear this, at least not as obvious. So here again, you notice the difference.

So the choice is yours, playability and boing versus hard work and no boing.

WaffleTheEpic

Banned
Reaction score
I did a comparison yesterday with my friend's Schecter Diamond C8 and my RGA8, both tuned to F# standard tuning using a 0.070 for the F#.

The 26.5" scale on the Schecter plays like a normal guitar, you hardly notice the scale is longer. The Ibanez with a 27" scale asks more effort to play and you will notice that 0.5" difference.

Tonewise, you hear the Schecter go sharp just after the attack and then going down to the tuned pitch. Boooiiinnnggggg. With the Ibanez you don't hear this, at least not as obvious. So here again, you notice the difference.

So the choice is yours, playability and boing versus hard work and no boing.

Once you get used to the longer scale though, that work you did before is turned into muscle memory and the longer scale length isn't a problem.

My 8 string is a 28.625" scale and I don't have a problem playing chords at all. :fawk:

Cesarguitar

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers guys, and yes, the S8QM it's one of my principal options (more than the Schecter).

Maybe this year will be more options (i hope so). I want to see the full specifications of the Ibanez... in this moment i prefer 27 scale..