Schecter Jeff Loomis owners! Dimples on fretboard?!

• Thread starter XxAlbertoxX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

XxAlbertoxX

Reaction score
Hi schecter Jeff Loomis owners.... I own a Loomis model and can someone PLEASE verify whether their guitar fretboard, near the inlays, has a "dimple" on some of the inlay marks?

I didn't even notice it 'till I was playing mine and it looked like a pin size hole near the "nevermore cross inlays".....

Kinda weird, it's on more than one inlay too, like its something with the manufacturing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

XxAlbertoxX

Reaction score
dsc00185edit.jpg

By xxalbertoxx at 2011-09-24

dsc00184edit.jpg

dsc00186edit.jpg

It's just like a small "dimple" or pinsized indent. It looks like something when they were manufacturing the guitar and imprinting the inlays onto the fretboard.... really minute...

But I'm paid 1k+ for the guitar...so I was wondering if it was just something on my guitar specifically or if others noticed the same thing?

It annoys me because it just seems like shoddy craftsmanship for a guitar. I mean I've had Ibanez's, and ESP, and Jackson, and neither of those were perfect, and this isn't some 2k+ custom USA model, but for 1,000$ I worked hard for that money...

iloki

Reaction score
They shouldn't affect tone or playability but I totally understand how you feel. That would drive me nuts. I'd hit up the retailer and see about getting a replacement.

I checked out a Schecter Solo 6 the otter day and it had dimples/holes in the fretboard like that too.

Dcr

Reaction score
I've got a loomis and it hasn't got any dimples at all but a friend of mine bought a second hand 6 string hellraiser some months ago and it has a dimple in one of the inlays very similar to the ones that you're showing us. When I noticed it I didn't think it was a manufacturing flaw but now I'm beginning to think so.

I'd claim for an exchange if possible. Although the dimples aren't a big issue it sucks that a new guitar has those flaws...

Hope it helps! :yesway:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like some chip out from a router that wasn't patched perfectly. Once again, it's not going to affect play-ability or tone, but it is most definitely a defect.

rythmic_pulses

Bari/Bass VI Nerd
Reaction score
QC is really going off the deep end these days, you really shouldn't get defects on a guitar of that price range, even then it should have been sold as B-Stock, does it affect bends or anything?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
QC is really going off the deep end these days, you really shouldn't get defects on a guitar of that price range, even then it should have been sold as B-Stock, does it affect bends or anything?

Honestly, I have yet to see a price range where there weren't any flaws ever. As long as guitars are built by humans out of natural materials there will always be flaws, no matter how many decimal places over the price is. :2c:

Plus, if you think this is bad, you should have seen the Loomis' without fret crowning. :ugh:

rythmic_pulses

Bari/Bass VI Nerd
Reaction score
Honestly, I have yet to see a price range where there weren't any flaws ever. As long as guitars are built by humans out of natural materials there will always be flaws, no matter how many decimal places over the price is. :2c:

Plus, if you think this is bad, you should have seen the Loomis' without fret crowning. :ugh:

I think that once all guitars are built by machines, that's when all soul is lost from a guitar forever :noplease:.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think that once all guitars are built by machines, that's when all soul is lost from a guitar forever :noplease:.

Guitars are tools. Just like a hammer and chisel. It's the skill of the worker who defines the "soul". Just like a caveman's instinctual strikes on bone differ from Michelangelo's artistry. :2c:

rythmic_pulses

Bari/Bass VI Nerd
Reaction score
Guitars are tools. Just like a hammer and chisel. It's the skill of the worker who defines the "soul". Just like a caveman's instinctual strikes on bone differ from Michelangelo's artistry. :2c:

True true, I need to see a pic of a loomis without fret crowning, will I cringe?

XxAlbertoxX

Reaction score
Yeah, thanks for the responses guys.

I actually already set-up a return for the guitar.

You guys are right; the Player defines the "soul" of the guitar. A guitar is just, dead wood, whether hand-made or mass produced.

Anyway, hopefully they mark it as B-stock or sell it as damaged (Musiciansfriend). I did tell them about the dimples on the fretboard ect.. should they should label it out, because I don't want anyone else to buy that accidental.

Yeah it's true, I mean I've had the Ibanez RGA321, ESP M-II, Jackson SL-3 as my "high-end" guitars.

I've honestly had flaws on everyone. So who ever said all guitarist, no matter of price range have flaws - I totally agree with you.

Anyway, I REALLY, REALLY hope this new one does not have any flaws. I can handle something on the body actually, like a ding or scratch. But anything on the fretboard just kind of irks me, since your playing hand is doing all the work there....

Thanks for those responses though, I super appreciate it.

')