Schecter John Browne signature?

Zado

Reaction score
I will preach the word of Schecter USAs until the day I die. We most spread the word!
I do as well, but noone listens :shrug: funny enough, apparently USA Schecs are more successful here in Italy, where players are addicted to Strats and Teles.

Very addicted.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
1673716321611.png

Really like the 8!

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Honestly my favorite of the bunch is the 8. The pointier shape fits an 8 string really well
Literally my same exact thought. The body shape doesn't look as "tubby" or "portly" as other 8-strings typically look when the body is just a wider carbon copy of the 6-string or 7-string version. The points and contouring on this model really keep it looking aesthetically sleek.

OldMate

Riff Pig
Reaction score
I do as well, but noone listens :shrug: funny enough, apparently USA Schecs are more successful here in Italy, where players are addicted to Strats and Teles.

Very addicted.
I'd love to do a USA custom shop build one day, but I don't even know where you'd start with teeing one up. They don't really make it clear and google doesn't help. Their configurator doesn't really spark joy with the options you can pick either (yeah I know that what's on there isn't the limit, but still... lemme make cool coloured Banshees and KMs!)

Zado

Reaction score
Gotta ask to an official dealer, makes things far more simple
I'd love to do a USA custom shop build one day, but I don't even know where you'd start with teeing one up. They don't really make it clear and google doesn't help. Their configurator doesn't really spark joy with the options you can pick either (yeah I know that what's on there isn't the limit, but still... lemme make cool coloured Banshees and KMs!)

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Just to add in here as Peach have the pickup names wrong 🤣.

The pickups are
Neck - Chaosbreaker
Bridge - Colossus

Bonus points to anyone who can guess where Tao, Colossus and Chaosbreaker comes from!
Will we be able to order the pickups separate or are they exclusive to the guitar? Super curious about them.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
YEP. Even the 8-string looks CRISP! So sleek and visually clean. @HeHasTheJazzHands would approve.

Will we be able to order the pickups separate or are they exclusive to the guitar? Super curious about them.
Probably exclusive to this model since they were developed specifically for this model. Just like the Schecter USA Solstice and Equinox pickups in the Aaron Marshall signature models.

Remember: Schecter is a guitar company first and foremost; not a pickup company. (Compared to like Duncan, Dimarzio, BKP, etc.) So, guitars are what they push, although they do offer pickups on the side.

Schecter has also never done a standalone signature pickup in their nearly 50 years of operating. So, I doubt they will start now.

MrWulf

Reaction score
Hows Schecter's pickup in comparison to other brands? I know i tried the pickups in the Schecter Banshee Elite 7 and it was alright, very articulate and clear but just a tad underpowered for me who used to more high powered pickups

John_Strychnine

I Was Once Groove.
Reaction score
Hows Schecter's pickup in comparison to other brands? I know i tried the pickups in the Schecter Banshee Elite 7 and it was alright, very articulate and clear but just a tad underpowered for me who used to more high powered pickups
They dethroned the bareknuckles I’ve used since 2007

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Hows Schecter's pickup in comparison to other brands?
The Schecter USA pickups are actual boutique pickups. They are a whole different beast compared to the cheap, generic, "Schecter branded" in-house pickups that are made in China or Korea and then simply loaded into the lower-tier, lower-cost import models.

The Schecter USA Custom Shop makes pickups that are truly incredibly and on-par with (if not better than) the pickups of other boutique pickup designers. A bonus caveat for us here in the USA is that the pickups are offered at a lower price to us since Schecter is a massive, domestic brand to us; and thus, Schecter can afford to lower profit margins a bit when it comes to selling the pickups individually.

One of the best aspects that Schecter took a gamble on in the past few years was offering their Schecter USA pickups as a stock pickup in some of the selected, new, production-line imports. (They manufacture the pickups in the USA shop and then send them overseas where the pickups are installed during assembly.)

The Schecter USA pickups get severely overlooked because we view Schecter first and foremost as a guitar company, not as a pickup company. What they sell/push is import guitars, but they happen to offer pickups on the side.

The fact that Schecter USA pickups get so often overlooked because of this is honestly a shame. Almost all of the Schecter USA pickups (all the ones that you see with the big, 1/4", flat slugs, aka pole pieces) are based on the designs of Tom Anderson who worked at Schecter as their pickup designer in the 1980s. That man designed some of the greatest pickups ever put into the pickup market back then. Some examples being the original Super Rock and the original Monstertones, both of which have quite a history as far as pickups go.

Anderson later evolved his designs for Schecter into his own self-branded pickups, such as his highly reputed H-Series pickups, that are obviously now offered in his own company's guitars or a la carte. But the Anderson designs that Schecter held on to after Anderson's departure have gradually evolved over time with additional R&D into several models that the Schecter USA shop offers such as the: current Super Rock iteration (always a classic), the San Andreas, the Pasadena, the Supercharger, etc.

Nowadays, with Schecter offering their high-caliber USA pickups as a stock option in some selected import models (of course, at a very minimal premium added to the MSRP price), it's really making some of the newer Schecter models absolutely killer bang-for-the-buck, ready to rip right out of the box. The new Reaper models that dropped last year come stock with Schecter USA San Andreas pickups. Aaron Marshall was rocking a San Andreas set in his personal Schecter builds before his signature models were released. The AM-6 and AM-7 come loaded with brand new, custom-voiced pickups that Schecter calls the Schecter USA Solstice and Schecter USA Equinox. The new John Browne signature Tao models that we're discussing in this thread come loaded with brand new, custom-voiced pickups exclusive to his models called the Schecter USA Colossus and Schecter USA Chaosbreaker. The old Schecter Traditional model has recently been revamped and comes loaded with a pair of Schecter USA Z-Plus pickups.

You get the point here...

TL;DR - The Schecter USA pickups are absolutely killer pickups, especially the ones that are evolutions of Anderson's pickup designs from back in the day.

sell2792

Reaction score
The Schecter USA pickups are actual boutique pickups. They are a whole different beast compared to the cheap, generic, "Schecter branded" in-house pickups that are made in China or Korea and then simply loaded into the lower-tier, lower-cost import models.

The Schecter USA Custom Shop makes pickups that are truly incredibly and on-par with (if not better than) the pickups of other boutique pickup designers. A bonus caveat for us here in the USA is that the pickups are offered at a lower price to us since Schecter is a massive, domestic brand to us; and thus, Schecter can afford to lower profit margins a bit when it comes to selling the pickups individually.

One of the best aspects that Schecter took a gamble on in the past few years was offering their Schecter USA pickups as a stock pickup in some of the selected, new, production-line imports. (They manufacture the pickups in the USA shop and then send them overseas where the pickups are installed during assembly.)

The Schecter USA pickups get severely overlooked because we view Schecter first and foremost as a guitar company, not as a pickup company. What they sell/push is import guitars, but they happen to offer pickups on the side.

The fact that Schecter USA pickups get so often overlooked because of this is honestly a shame. Almost all of the Schecter USA pickups (all the ones that you see with the big, 1/4", flat slugs, aka pole pieces) are based on the designs of Tom Anderson who worked at Schecter as their pickup designer in the 1980s. That man designed some of the greatest pickups ever put into the pickup market back then. Some examples being the original Super Rock and the original Monstertones, both of which have quite a history as far as pickups go.

Anderson later evolved his designs for Schecter into his own self-branded pickups, such as his highly reputed H-Series pickups, that are obviously now offered in his own company's guitars or a la carte. But the Anderson designs that Schecter held on to after Anderson's departure have gradually evolved over time with additional R&D into several models that the Schecter USA shop offers such as the: current Super Rock iteration (always a classic), the San Andreas, the Pasadena, the Supercharger, etc.

Nowadays, with Schecter offering their high-caliber USA pickups as a stock option in some selected import models (of course, at a very minimal premium added to the MSRP price), it's really making some of the newer Schecter models absolutely killer bang-for-the-buck, ready to rip right out of the box. The new Reaper models that dropped last year come stock with Schecter USA San Andreas pickups. Aaron Marshall was rocking a San Andreas set in his personal Schecter builds before his signature models were released. The AM-6 and AM-7 come loaded with brand new, custom-voiced pickups that Schecter calls the Schecter USA Solstice and Schecter USA Equinox. The new John Browne signature Tao models that we're discussing in this thread come loaded with brand new, custom-voiced pickups exclusive to his models called the Schecter USA Colossus and Schecter USA Chaosbreaker. The old Schecter Traditional model has recently been revamped and comes loaded with a pair of Schecter USA Z-Plus pickups.

You get the point here...

TL;DR - The Schecter USA pickups are absolutely killer pickups, especially the ones that are evolutions of Anderson's pickup designs from back in the day.

I just wish there website had better descriptions of each model. I’d be curious to try a set.

Zado

Reaction score
I just wish there website had better descriptions of each model. I’d be curious to try a set.
Yeah the description don't help that much, instead of explaining the eq curve, the articulation, the mids and whatnot, it's just a "it fucking crushes" kinda thing.
But yeah, just like Emperor said they ARE cool pickups, those designed by Tom Anderson (Superrock and Monstertone), by Dan Armstrong (Z Plus), and Schecter own designs (the others), they all are great sounding.

Which makes the fact that people swap them for the flavour of the month even funnier.

')