Schecter John Browne signature?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yan12

Reaction score
If you go to the reverb page for drum city you can see pictures of all 3 guitars very clearly

Northfall

Established Djentleman
Reaction score
The veneers on these are kinda disappointing :erk:
20230223_160955.jpg

Unfortunately, I'd have to agree. The figuring on this veneer is pretty weak af. Nice job with the pup voicings though @John_Strychnine . Can definitely hear that signature scratchiness in them, really happy with how well the pups are holding Eb 1. I'm excited to potentially test the waters with C1 in the semi-near future. Overall I think I like it. Having previously owned a KM7, I expected the wenge neck to have that open pore feel to it, but it's smooth and slightly finished (i think satin?). Neck profile is also unlike the KM7, and for that I really like it :D . Came set up real nice out of the box - Schecter been real good about that lately.

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Ngl iv never seen a Schecter Diamond with a top that made me go wow. That seems par for the course tbh.

They're not the only one. I get the same impression from other brands that use veneers like LTD/E2, Ibanez, etc. Only exception is PRS SE/S2

Northfall

Established Djentleman
Reaction score
Ngl iv never seen a Schecter Diamond with a top that made me go wow. That seems par for the course tbh.

They're not the only one. I get the same impression from other brands that use veneers like LTD/E2, Ibanez, etc. Only exception is PRS SE/S2
Back in the early 00s I was in my teenage years and went through a small quantity of different LTDs from the 100-400 series. Those tops used to be really something to look at. Being too lazy to look it up myself, weren't those genuine tops back then too?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Back in the early 00s I was in my teenage years and went through a small quantity of different LTDs from the 100-400 series. Those tops used to be really something to look at. Being too lazy to look it up myself, weren't those genuine tops back then too?
Veneers. Even the ESP Standard series used veneers iirc

HylianN

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
View attachment 121659
Unfortunately, I'd have to agree. The figuring on this veneer is pretty weak af. Nice job with the pup voicings though @John_Strychnine . Can definitely hear that signature scratchiness in them, really happy with how well the pups are holding Eb 1. I'm excited to potentially test the waters with C1 in the semi-near future. Overall I think I like it. Having previously owned a KM7, I expected the wenge neck to have that open pore feel to it, but it's smooth and slightly finished (i think satin?). Neck profile is also unlike the KM7, and for that I really like it :D . Came set up real nice out of the box - Schecter been real good about that lately.

How is the fretwork on these? I went back on the old KM series thread and read some horror stories of those that come out of the same factory. I wish I had one in store I could go try out before I actually purchase. I've never actually played a "thin U" either so I'd love to feel it in hand. I have a RGD7UCS with a wizard 7 and I'd be interested to feel the difference.

Northfall

Established Djentleman
Reaction score
How is the fretwork on these? I went back on the old KM series thread and read some horror stories of those that come out of the same factory. I wish I had one in store I could go try out before I actually purchase. I've never actually played a "thin U" either so I'd love to feel it in hand. I have a RGD7UCS with a wizard 7 and I'd be interested to feel the difference.
Maybe after 20 years of playing, I don't know what I'm doing... but I don't think I've ever played a guitar and thought to myself "damn, this fretwork sucks", lol. I haven't ran all 200 possible fretted positions to ensure that each one is immaculate, but there hasn't been any buzz or anything noticeable. I've had an RGA Iron Label before that had just the nastiest fret sprout on it. Shit nearly cut my hands playing before I had it addressed. The Tao does not have that :)

Regarding the neck profile, it's pretty comfortable, out of the 3 8s I've owned so far (Solar A1.8C, Strandberg OG NX 8, Tao 8) - this has the most comfortable profile of the lot. It will be thicker than a wizards neck, but not by a lot. I'd say if you're happy with the wizard neck profile, you'll likely adjust to this profile without any major complaints. A lot of vendors have 14 - 30 Day return windows, don't be afraid to use it! It's hard finding an 8-string guitar you actually want (because if they're carrying one, it's a entry level Ibby RG-8 or similar) in a local store to try before you buy.

Northfall

Established Djentleman
Reaction score
I just wanted to follow up on this post. I know initially I had some lukewarm things to say about the Tao 8. Now that I've had a little more time to play with it - it's really quite a nice instrument!

Schecter did a solid job with the factory setup. I simply dropped it a half step, and intonation still holds up great. The action feels really good, the neck profile is extremely comfortable - especially for someone of my smaller scale, I was initially concerned with whether the profile would be compatible with me, but looks like I hit the jackpot. To add on to the neck, the finish on the back is really nice, minimal grip and easy to maneuver.

Cannot stress again how much I am impressed with these pickups. I've owned a Boden NX 8 w/ Fishmans & a Solar A1.8C with his Duncan Solars in them, and both of those variations did not sound good on the 8th string to me, at all. Especially when trying to do bar chords on the 8,7,6th strings. These pickups are exceptionally clear through high gain applications, and manage to let all strings come through pretty damn close to evenly for chords, even with the overpowering lows from the 8th string, very impressive! Additionally, I've played around with a few of my favorite clean presets on my QC and this thing sounds awesome both split, and parallel. This is a huge win to me because my backup plan was to drop in some Guitarmory Red Stones I planned to drop in the Solar forever ago. Looks like that project lives to see yet another day, but alas.

Truly do not regret getting this. Still wish that veneer popped a little more though. I guess I'll get a nicer one when they release the USA versions for this (please!)

A.JohnHayes

Gallops go brrr
Reaction score
Thank you so much! I was very curious about the pickups. I know Schecter USA pickups have a great reputation, and I expected John to have a high standard after using the BKPs for so many years. Sounds like they'd be worth picking up if Schecter start selling them separately!

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't mind the top on that actually. :shrug:

It's got a nice overall aesthetic to it. I like how subtle the top is, it almost looks like a texture.
I think if I was expecting a full traditional flame top guitar I'd be disappointed though.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I get the decision behind going with staining the whole guitar instead of busting for the sake of consistency, but the burst would've made bleh tops more interesting.

Also, when I think of any of John's guitars and "that look" I think of the burst. Solid stain on so-so veneers makes it feel like a purple Merrow rather than a Browne sig.

Still interested in one of these (particularly the 7) but it'll most likely be on the used market, where I can pick a specific top I like.

Masoo2

Reaction score
This one on Reverb has quite a decent top imo

njjkvecq4vs6mxvtqg5c.jpg

also a fantastic looking headstock veneer, though it would look better with the Schecter USA subdued logo :(

wzdrxlkhdwdf1sooniw3.jpg

I do see what you mean about the neck though, definitely not straight open pore:
nowwmfuic7haurhzemrb.jpg

@Northfall What is it that you think differentiates these pickups from the Moderns in the Boden NX8?

Is the low end *that* much more defined on these Schecter USA pickups? is it something in the low mids making the Moderns a bit boxy or tubby comparatively? also curious to know what gauges you're rocking in Eb.

Not really in the market for a 27 inch 8 string (my preferences for Eb have shifted towards something long) but wow does this look nicer and nicer each time I look at it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

')