Schecter KM 6 Bare Knuckle recommendation

swigartd

Reaction score
Hi, first time poster here. I recently purchased a new Schecter KM 6 Keith Merrow signature. Love the guitar... looks and plays incredible. However, I'm not a big fan of the Duncan Black Winter pickups in it. I'm a Bare Knuckle fan, and currently have Aftermaths and Painkillers in other guitars. I'd like to try something new, so could someone recommend me a pickup set for the KM 6? The guitar is a swamp ash body, maple top and neck, with an ebony board. I think I've narrowed it down to either a Holy Diver or alnico Nailbomb in the bridge, and a VHII in the neck. I've done some reading and it looks like this set would work with a swamp ash guitar. I'd welcome other recommendations. Going for a tight, well balanced metal tone. I dig that "purry" palm-muted sound, too.

Thanks everyone!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

indreku

Reaction score
Go for blackhawks actually, love those, one of my favorites.
If you want more modern then:
I have a custom sevenstring swamp ash, maple neck and ebony fingerboard and have a aftermath in it and for the likes of it I cannot match any of my other guitars to the rich and perfect sound of it(both drive and clean).

chopeth85

Reaction score
Undoubtely juggernaut ; tight, percussive and extrely thick. I have in a guitar with similar specs to km6.

swigartd

Reaction score
Wow, Blackhawks and Juggernauts. Those aren't too bright for a swamp ash guitar? I'm no expert by any means, just going by what I've read. Thanks guys!

Any other suggestions? What would you think of the Divers, Nailbombs, and neck VHII?

Chrisjd

Banned
Reaction score
Are you sure you don't just need a little more time with the black winters? IMO they can hang with any Bareknuckle, no problem.

Try to remember that just because the name says "bareknuckle" doesn't mean it's automatically better.

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
Try to remember that just because the name says "bareknuckle" doesn't mean it's automatically better.

There are alternatives that are just as good or better than BKPs. Be wary of people that tote them as the end all pickup choice because they simply aren't. Good, but not the best.

TheRileyOBrien

Reaction score
^^^^this

If someone says "Going for a tight, well balanced metal tone. I dig that "purry" palm-muted sound, too."...Black winters are on my shortlist of recommendations.

I have been through the bareknuckle phase. I have tried dang near every pickup they offer...single coil and humbucker. They are good, but they are just another pickup company. They have no magic fairy dust that makes them better. After comparing head to head with some other offerings I quickly found more that I didn't like about a lot of their models than I actually liked(for less $ too).

Nothing wrong with trying different stuff though. Do whatever you want.

Zinter

Canuck Guitar Tech
Reaction score
The real strength of BKP's is the tracking speed, if you aren't tapping 4-5 note runs they aren't useful to you compared to a much more affordable DiMarzio set that can colour your guitar tone just as well :2c:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Out of the pickups listed in the OP, I think the A-Bomb would be a good fit for the bridge. I used to have a Rebel Yell in an RG7 and while it was good for the sound the OP wants, it is a fairly bright pickup with a lot of attack. I've read that the RY is more or less an underwound A-Bomb, so you may get back a bit of beef/purr with the Nailbomb without sacrificing clarity or attack.

For the neck, it kind of depends on whether you want something better for soloing or clean tones, brighter or darker, etc. I had a Nailbomb neck that was good; versatile, clear, sort of like a hot-rodded PAF.

swigartd

Reaction score
Thanks for info, guys. I have some thinking to do. Maybe I will give the Black Winters more attention... I didn't spend a lot of time with them. They are good pickups, don't get me wrong. I just have more experience with BKPs.

shred-o-holic

Reaction score
The Abombs will sound great. The cbombs will too. My choice for any guitar on the planet is the Dimarzio Titan.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Swamp ash body, maple neck, ebony fret board are all pretty bright. I asked the same thing about my KM-7 and people suggested the warpig. One of the reasons being that it's darker. I'll have a NPD this weekend once I've gotten to try them in there and let you know how it is. I'm assuming if its suits the KM-7 well it will suit a KM-6 well also.

RustInPeace

Reaction score
Swamp ash body, maple neck, ebony fret board are all pretty bright. I asked the same thing about my KM-7 and people suggested the warpig. One of the reasons being that it's darker. I'll have a NPD this weekend once I've gotten to try them in there and let you know how it is. I'm assuming if its suits the KM-7 well it will suit a KM-6 well also.

Interested to hear the results of this!

Bearitone

Reaction score
Just posted a NPD for the warpigs if you're interested :hbang:

')