Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

punisher911

blah blah blah
Reaction score
I'm still waiting as well and was tempted to grab a black one but their "comparison" dealio on the site was gone this morning? Not sure if they're updating/upgrading the site, but that functionality is gone which was crucial if I'm going to buy from them as I like seeing the weight and figuring before I buy as those are the two biggest factors (aside from my curiosity about the neck carve of course, that's really the only thing holding me back still :lol:). :( I was hoping to grab a white one but no one seems to have them except rando-stores on eBay...

It was gone because they had 2 of them and I bought the nicer figured one. It had heavier/black tiger stripes to it... Sorry.. :D

I have played one, can't really describe the neck carve in comparison to others. It's good though. Was able to fret standard 6 string chords and play to my mediocre ability with no sweat.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Veritech Zero

Jeffy Turbo
Reaction score
I'm still waiting as well and was tempted to grab a black one but their "comparison" dealio on the site was gone this morning? Not sure if they're updating/upgrading the site, but that functionality is gone which was crucial if I'm going to buy from them as I like seeing the weight and figuring before I buy as those are the two biggest factors (aside from my curiosity about the neck carve of course, that's really the only thing holding me back still :lol:). :( I was hoping to grab a white one but no one seems to have them except rando-stores on eBay...

Check Drumcityguitarland, That is where I got mine and last I was in there they had a few, and if my story about mine means anything it is that they will bend over backwards if anything goes wrong. Schecter DIAMOND SERIES SIGNATURE SERIES KEITH MERROW KM-7 Trans White Satin 2014 7-String Electric Guitar

break

Reaction score
And to your last post, none of those things DO impact playability, the only issues so far that do were the intonation screws (resolved within a day) and the guy receiving his with a snapped neck (Shipped halfway across the world in a shitty box).
That was me.... and both the broken one (well, beside the broken neck) and my replacement were both flawless in their finish :hbang:

If you're worried about QC issues, go to your local guitar store and check it out. If it's not in stock, that's the unfortunate by-product of it being a fantastic guitar in hot demand.

So... if you're a stickler for a perfect finish, wait until you find a local store with one in stock and go and see/touch it before you buy.

Simple.

Doombreed

Reaction score
Ah good looking out, I hadn't seen that they posted that info on their site (haven't visited it recently :lol:)! :yesway: Unfortunately the JP7 page only lists neck width, nothing about the carve depth. That's why I was asking if anyone had played the two as the JP7 carve is definitely on the thinner side of things, even moreso on the JP12.

I've had a JPXI-7 and tried the KM-7 at Musikmesse earlier this year and would say they were both approximately the same neck thickness wise. Please keep in mind this is a very approximate guess as I didn't compare them directly and didn't have either in my hand for very long...

Hope it helps though.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I've had a JPXI-7 and tried the KM-7 at Musikmesse earlier this year and would say they were both approximately the same neck thickness wise. Please keep in mind this is a very approximate guess as I didn't compare them directly and didn't have either in my hand for very long...

Hope it helps though.

Thanks! A gent on here sent me a very nice PM with pics comparing a few of the necks, sadly I think the KM7 neck is just too thin to work out well for me. :( Sucks because on paper, the guitar is like the perfect 7! :lol:

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I find the thinner neck profile really helps with the 26.5" scale and Schecters also have a wider fretboard than most 7 strings. Your in the states so it would be very easy to sell on if you don't like it.

gigawhat

All 6s and 7s
Reaction score
Thanks! A gent on here sent me a very nice PM with pics comparing a few of the necks, sadly I think the KM7 neck is just too thin to work out well for me. :( Sucks because on paper, the guitar is like the perfect 7! :lol:

I have to say I'm not one for really thin necks, my first decent 7 was a Hellraiser, and I loved that neck. I too was a little wary of the thinness of the KM-7, but the actual carve of the neck makes it not so bad. I can't play my '87 RG550 for more than an hour or so before my hand cramps like a mother. The KM-7 on the other hand, I can play all day and my hand feels fine as long as I warm up first and take little breaks. This even though they have roughly the same neck thickness. I'm sure being a tad bit wider helps some, too.

So don't discount it yet. I'd say hold judgement till you can actually try it out.
It's not just perfect on paper... :lol:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Compared to Ibanez necks, the KM-7 is also supposed to have a slight C-shape, compared to an Ibanez's D shape, which I'm pretty sure helps for comfort.

zilla

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
i couldn't play my old ibby 7421 for more than 10-15 minutes before my hand would cramp.

I had a blackjack SLS c7 and i could play all day every day without a problem. the km7 has the same neck contour.

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, but what I meant was what do the worn covers look like. I've seen uncovered pickups before, you know.
I noticed some wear on mine, took a pic for you. The copper is showing through slightly, I think it looks cool actually.

llVbszL.jpg

Also I couldn't resist taking a glamour shot.

z3AkaDJ.jpg

SonicBlur

Reaction score
Damn...I originally wanted to hold out for the Trans White but couldn't be patient enough when a Trans Black arose...now I wish I waited.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I have to say I'm not one for really thin necks, my first decent 7 was a Hellraiser, and I loved that neck. I too was a little wary of the thinness of the KM-7, but the actual carve of the neck makes it not so bad. I can't play my '87 RG550 for more than an hour or so before my hand cramps like a mother. The KM-7 on the other hand, I can play all day and my hand feels fine as long as I warm up first and take little breaks. This even though they have roughly the same neck thickness. I'm sure being a tad bit wider helps some, too.

So don't discount it yet. I'd say hold judgement till you can actually try it out.
It's not just perfect on paper... :lol:

The GC's near me seem to stock a decent amount of Schecters, including some sig models. I might give them a shout to see if they have any plans to get one of these in, just don't think I want to deal with buying without playing one first as it would be a waste to have it shipped to me and immediately box it up to send it back if the neck turns out to be unplayable for me. :( We'll see, as I said the specs at that price is pretty much perfect so I haven't entirely given up hope but right now short of playing one and loving the neck, it's not looking good! :lol:

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
I noticed some wear on mine, took a pic for you. The copper is showing through slightly, I think it looks cool actually.

Definitely agreed. I might start to mind if the bridge wore through in a different colour eventually, but Hipshots are pretty hard-wearing so that'll take ages.

Acrid

Reaction score
Mine came in the mail yesterday. Can't put it down! First guitar I've ever had that I will be leaving stock :agreed:

422aGev.png

punisher911

blah blah blah
Reaction score
Mine came in the mail yesterday. Can't put it down! First guitar I've ever had that I will be leaving stock :agreed:

Same for me. Was playing this morning before work. Love this thing.
I'll post a NGD for this and my Zach Myers SE after I pick it up tomorrow...

Yeah that's right.. I got two of the hard to get new models this week... lol

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score

Same for me. Was playing this morning before work. Love this thing.
I'll post a NGD for this and my Zach Myers SE after I pick it up tomorrow...

Still waiting for mine. My patience has been sorely tested with this one. Wish it would hurry the feck up!

EDIT: Nevermind!

xwFFKmm.jpg

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/276881-ngd-there-many-like-but-one-mine-km-content.html

punisher911

blah blah blah
Reaction score
One of the features of this guitar that gets me going, is the offset inlays...

I was part of the "Razar Guitar" fiasco from many years ago. This is exactly how I ordered my dot inlays to be. Bass side dots up to the 12th and treble side up to the 24th...also had the ss frets on my build too..

Saxon

Reaction score
One of the features of this guitar that gets me going, is the offset inlays...

I was part of the "Razar Guitar" fiasco from many years ago. This is exactly how I ordered my dot inlays to be. Bass side dots up to the 12th and treble side up to the 24th...

What was the Razar Guitar fiasco?

')