Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
Right? I was barely able to fit two push/pull pots in there with all the wiring, I can't imagine a pot, a toggle switch and a battery.
Just look at the bridge, he's had the crap routed out of it. Props to him for pulling some full-on mods. Thinking I may pull the Ionizers from my RGD and drop them in my KM-7 if and when I get one, no real verdict for the Nazgul until then (though I don't believe it'll fit my desired tone).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gigawhat

All 6s and 7s
Reaction score
Just look at the bridge, he's had the crap routed out of it. Props to him for pulling some full-on mods. Thinking I may pull the Ionizers from my RGD and drop them in my KM-7 if and when I get one, no real verdict for the Nazgul until then (though I don't believe it'll fit my desired tone).

Yeah, the Nazgul was pretty sweet, but it just didn't sound right for the tone I hear in my head. And the sentient was just kinda blah for me. Sounded alright, but nothing stood out to me as amazing about it. I love the Laces in it though, so clear and tight.

Veritech Zero

Jeffy Turbo
Reaction score

Dur dur duur lol. I was so focused on the EMGs I totally missed that hahaha. Hey JeffTD, who did you go through to put in an evertune? Or did you do it yourself?

JeffTD

Reaction score
Dur dur duur lol. I was so focused on the EMGs I totally missed that hahaha. Hey JeffTD, who did you go through to put in an evertune? Or did you do it yourself?

Fren Asken @ Asken Guitars - Acoustic and Electric Guitar and Bass Repair, Custom Guitars, Los Angeles - he's probably the best guitar tech in LA. Devin Townsend tagged him in his Evertune install pictures and it turned out that he lives 4 blocks from me. Sometimes living in LA has its benefits!

But yeah, I had Fren route for/install a battery box in addition to the Evertune. It cost like $25, totally worth it.

RustInPeace

Reaction score
2 days in with it now, and its pretty awesome. Playability is a 9.5/10 for me, easily one of the best 7's I've played, but I'm not 100% sold on the nazgul yet. As said before it has a upper midrange spike which really helps with clarity in a band setting (I jammed with it on the first night I had it) but definitely has that "djenty" feel to the upper range. That being said its clear and tight as ...., the exact pickup I imagined after playing an SLS C-7 with the full shred bridge - more punch than the full shred. The sentient is great for high gain leads, a bit lacking in humbucker mode for cleans, but coil tapped is pretty fantastic for me. The versatility of these pickups is underrated.

The finish really pops. I got the white one, and even some of my coworkers I showed it to who know nothing of guitars were blown away. 10/10.

MattThePenguin

Reaction score
The finish really pops. I got the white one, and even some of my coworkers I showed it to who know nothing of guitars were blown away. 10/10.

I showed mine to one of my coworkers and he responds with "oh wow that's a nice stratocaster"

-.-

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/dailluminaughty/schecter-km7-test[/SC]

Put together a little tone test of the KM7 in action. Excuse the poor drum mixing, I'm still learning. I think the tone sounds pretty fat and killer though, the Nazguls are awesome. Excuse the wankery in the solo ;)

Pathway is KM7-Pod X3 Pro-Fastrack Pro-Reaper, mixed on KRK Rokits. Used the Pod with Lecab and a bass cab impulse for bass, Korg M1 for synths. Drums are EZ Drummer.

Zado

Reaction score
I hated the stock pickups. Very clear and defined but had a really aggressive upper midrange spike and the pick attack was way too djenty for me. At this point in time I just prefer EMG for humbuckers, passives for singles. These are the 57/66, I have one other 6 string with them and the 57 is my favorite pickup, period.
Very well explained,and somehow similar to what I think about pickups...for classic-hard rock tones (and low-medium gain stuff in general),I like duncans better (that's why I swapped the EMGs in my hellraiser for a screamin demon/59 set),but I've a preference for EMGs about gainy-metal stuff. Tried many passive humbs,but for heavy music I just find myself at home with EMGs.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Bought this back in July and it's finally finished.

1926942_10152350176993525_2479982073161871639_n.jpg

That looks nice!!!! Whats your take on the Evertune bridge?

zippo9999

Reaction score
I have neck dive problem while playing stand up. Does anyone have that problem??

TheRileyOBrien

Reaction score
Had a busy week at work, had to restring/setup the guitar, and barely got to play it till today. She rips! I really like playing leads on this actually, the extra inch makes the higher register really accesible. Sentient is awesome, I might have to fiddle with the height a bit. To me it does lack a little bit of clarity/expressiveness, but not in any huge way. Awesome cleans. The Nazgul, which I had some reservations about its high-output nature, is sick as well, nice and tight/expressive, but also has a certain meat-and-potatoes chunk to it, it'd be fun to play some doomy/stoner stuff on. The guitar also has a nice weight to it without being overtly heavy! No issues with it really, I just have the problem of the finish seeming to acquire some dark/graphite esque marks inexplicably that I saw someone else post about. Factory string guage was kind of retarded IMO, 9-46 and lets just throw a 64 on there? :nuts:
Anyways, sorry for all the words. Iphone pics, luminlays and the finish are both hard AF to photagraph:

What is wrong with the string gauges. Is it not what Keith uses? Seems to work fine for him. I think it is a .62 btw.

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
.9-.46 on the first six, which felt a little light for me; for the low string they had a .64. Maybe the guitar just wasn't set up properly, but the .64 barely fit through the machine head and just felt awkward. Now I have it set up with some D'Addario 10-59 and it feels pretty good.

chopeth

Reaction score
I have neck dive problem while playing stand up. Does anyone have that problem??

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/lu...686-why-every-schecter-i-have-neck-dives.html

.9-.46 on the first six, which felt a little light for me; for the low string they had a .64. Maybe the guitar just wasn't set up properly, but the .64 barely fit through the machine head and just felt awkward. Now I have it set up with some D'Addario 10-59 and it feels pretty good.

are you sure? I set mine up with a 66 and I don't remember having any issue to fit it through

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
are you sure? I set mine up with a 66 and I don't remember having any issue to fit it through

Thats what it felt like to me, maybe it was bent weird. Way happy with the guitar now anyways!

jerm

Reaction score
I played one last week in NYC's guitar center. Very good guitar. Neck profile is very similar to my DC700 w/ thin neck option.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
Here's my question: HOW did you get EMGs in there haha. The control cavity is SO small, how did you get a battery in there? Did you route for a battery box?

Right? I was barely able to fit two push/pull pots in there with all the wiring, I can't imagine a pot, a toggle switch and a battery.

Just look at the bridge, he's had the crap routed out of it. Props to him for pulling some full-on mods. ....

That's one way to do it, but if I had to put EMGs in a KM-7, I'd use one of these:

emg-batt-box-1.jpg

I actually own the 18v version of this power supply.

')