Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ludo95

Reaction score
Here's a new video where Keith talks a bit about the KM-6... looks gorgeous!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTl2r1VDCuA

I think that guitar companies should seriously start thinking about using Stainless steel frets on 800-1000$ price range guitars, if Schecter can do it, why not other companies too...:agreed::agreed:

EDIT: Looks like it has officially been released:

10644623_946417995375012_1445177244781093296_o.jpg

Guitars : Keith Merrow KM-6

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zado

Reaction score
If this will fall into 1100-1200€ price range,it's gonna be a good deal!

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
My KM-7 arrived today. Been comparing it back and for with my RGD2127FX (the guitar it was meant to replace) for the last few hours. This is not going to be an easy decision, both are solid guitars with as many differences as there are similarities. Also trying not to let the Nazgul color my decision (not my favorite pickup but I think that funky placement effects the feel quite a bit too).

Speaking of the Nazgul, there were parts on the Conquering Dystopia album where Keith was playing that sounded (rather abruptly) like a neck pickup at times. I'm thinking this is due to the unique EQ shape of the Nazgul as it sounds this way on mine occasionally (even though he recorded with his prototype which had the bridge pickup in a more typical position). Maybe it's just me...

Anyway, definitely going to take a few days to decide if the RGD goes on the chopping block or if the KM-7 goes back. If I do keep the KM-7 I'll probably pull the b/w zebra Ionizers out of the RGD and swap out the Nazgul/Sentient set. If that doesn't cut it my next thought is a set of original Blackout's, thinking that the bridge placement might add attack and cut down on the boomy character (possibly with an end result more like an AHB-3 EMTY?).

ddk

Reaction score
Very curious about Ionizers in the KM-7. Please post your thoughts if you make that swap!

TraE

Reaction score
Speaking of the Nazgul, there were parts on the Conquering Dystopia album where Keith was playing that sounded (rather abruptly) like a neck pickup at times. I'm thinking this is due to the unique EQ shape of the Nazgul as it sounds this way on mine occasionally (even though he recorded with his prototype which had the bridge pickup in a more typical position). Maybe it's just me...

One thing that's important to note is that Keith used his prototype KM-7 for recording the rhythm guitars on Conquering Dystopia, and as you can see earlier in this thread, his prototype had a unique bridge pickup placement. The production model has the pickup closer to the bridge than the guitar used in the recordings, so hopefully this information sheds some light on that predicament.

Noisy Humbucker

Reaction score
Very curious about Ionizers in the KM-7. Please post your thoughts if you make that swap!
Will do, maybe I'll even do my first proper NGD once I've got it all gussied up!

One thing that's important to note is that Keith used his prototype KM-7 for recording the rhythm guitars on Conquering Dystopia, and as you can see earlier in this thread, his prototype had a unique bridge pickup placement. The production model has the pickup closer to the bridge than the guitar used in the recordings, so hopefully this information sheds some light on that predicament.

Er... I think that's exactly what I said in the paragraph you quoted. Maybe not clearly, I tend to ramble :)

Noisy Humbucker

Reaction score
Forgot that the mounting screws on DiMarzio 7's are different than Duncan 7's so I'm not going to bother trying the Ionizers, just skipping ahead to AH-1's.

One thing that may be of interest, either they expanded the control cavity at some point or it's not as small as it appears. Once I've dropped a standard 25k pot in (no use for a push/pull on nearly all actives) and rotated the selector a smidge I'll have no problem getting a 9-volt with just enough foam to keep it from rattling around in there.

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
One thing that may be of interest, either they expanded the control cavity at some point or it's not as small as it appears. Once I've dropped a standard 25k pot in (no use for a push/pull on nearly all actives) and rotated the selector a smidge I'll have no problem getting a 9-volt with just enough foam to keep it from rattling around in there.
Can you snap a picture? They must have made them bigger, I opened mine up and the only way you'd get a battery in would be to get rid of the switch. Curious now...

gigawhat

All 6s and 7s
Reaction score
Can you snap a picture? They must have made them bigger, I opened mine up and the only way you'd get a battery in would be to get rid of the switch. Curious now...

No joke, on mine with two push-pull pots, all the connections had to face each other with maybe a half inch between them, and it was full of wire. Had to force the wire down with the cover to close it off. I agree with you in having to remove something to fit a battery. But mine was a first run, so maybe they did increase it.

Noisy Humbucker

Reaction score
I'll try to snap a shot tonight, what I can say is that the battery is going to have to get stacked flat behind the new volume pot (again with a bit of foam in between). The cavity may be too shallow to fit an EMG solderless pot (and battery) as it's going to be a good deal taller with the board and connector. And as far as the length of the battery, that's where rotating the toggle until it's clear comes in. Or maybe I'm just talking out of the wrong orifice...

EDIT: Do any of you recall the shape of your cavities? Are they "barbell/figure-8ish" or more like a capsule with straight sides?

gigawhat

All 6s and 7s
Reaction score
I'll try to snap a shot tonight, what I can say is that the battery is going to have to get stacked flat behind the new volume pot (again with a bit of foam in between). The cavity may be too shallow to fit an EMG solderless pot (and battery) as it's going to be a good deal taller with the board and connector. And as far as the length of the battery, that's where rotating the toggle until it's clear comes in. Or maybe I'm just talking out of the wrong orifice...

EDIT: Do any of you recall the shape of your cavities? Are they "barbell/figure-8ish" or more like a capsule with straight sides?

If I remember correctly, mine was barbell shaped.

Noisy Humbucker

Reaction score
It's got to be the height of the push-pull making the difference then, the block with all the pins more than doubes the height. The stock 25k pot that comes with Blackouts is going to be tiny in comparison and the cavity is just wide enough at the narrowest point to accommodate a 9v laying flat.

gigawhat

All 6s and 7s
Reaction score
It's got to be the height of the push-pull making the difference then, the block with all the pins more than doubes the height. The stock 25k pot that comes with Blackouts is going to be tiny in comparison and the cavity is just wide enough at the narrowest point to accommodate a 9v laying flat.

Ah, I get what your saying. Yeah I can see how you'd have room if your talking about laying it flat on top of a regular pot. I see you actually made that pretty clear in your original post, I must have skimmed past that part/it didn't register. I'm kind of dumb today, I just got a JPX-7 and my mind has been blown.

Noisy Humbucker

Reaction score
Spoke too soon. Yes, the smaller pot frees up quite a bit of room but I didn't compensate for the fact that the top of the guitar is quite thin in this spot (so you need to back the potentiometer back into the cavity or your knob will ride a mile above the top of the guitar). I haven't given up all hope on fitting a battery in here without having to really open up the cavity, I was actually able to fit a 9V in diagonally on its side but then there's the question of whether or not it will interfere with toggle operation (queue the garbage pictures):

Bottom line is yeah maybe you'll need to notch a bit of this cavity out to squeeze a battery in there but I doubt you'd really need to expand it beyond the edges of the cover to achieve it.

EDIT: Blurry side shots were an attempt to show that the battery will sit just below the rim of the cavity (even with the foam which would compress with the cover on).

rainbowbrite

Reaction score
what would be a good switch to replace the one i have? mine is crapping out and i am not too pleased about it--switch to neck pickup and there is no sound, have to fidget it, etc.

Drid05

Reaction score
Hey all

Been wanting this model for awhile. I remember there being some spotty things on the first few batches earlier in the year.

What do I need to watch out for before purchasing.

Things I remember where

Saddle screw length to short or something along those lines.

Bridge pickup placement not being close enough to the bridge

some shoddy pickup routing, or was this just only noticeable on the white models?

Easily smudged and/or easy to degrade the finish on the white model with normal usage?

If any of you fine folks would chime in I would greatly appreciate it.

Currently Im having a hard time finding a site that has pictures up, Im going with white, but I assume the flame does vary and was hoping to have a few samples to choose from. Anybody running a good deal below 999?

Thx

gigawhat

All 6s and 7s
Reaction score
Saddle screw length to short or something along those lines.

This has been resolved.

Bridge pickup placement not being close enough to the bridge.

This is not an issue, bridge placement is fine and within acceptable parameters, Keith's proto had a weird placement, but that was it.

Some shoddy pickup routing, or was this just only noticeable on the white models?

This has been resolved, but yes, it was only a reported issue with the white ones.

Anybody running a good deal below 999?

Try our very own Nick at the Axe Palace or the guys from Drum City Guitar Land.

I hope this answers your questions.

Drid05

Reaction score
gigawhat,

Thanks for the info. It certainly does help out. I just wanted to be cautious of buying something that might be from the first run that had the mentioned issues, Im having a hard time finding sites, even the two you mentioned that include the actual photo.

Regards
-Drid

Drid05

Reaction score
Well that sure was easy enough. The guitar should be here Friday. I sent an e-mail to drum city guitar land who made me a good deal on the guitar plus a hard shell schecter case. Jason was kind enough to snap me some photo's. Even said he would throw in some strings, plectrum assortment and a strap.

Absolutely love the finish.

I'll do a NGD sometime this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_9914.jpg
    IMG_9914.jpg
    574 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1515.jpg
    IMG_1515.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 83