Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Just to reiterate since some of the items were left off the first quote:

Hey all

Been wanting this model for awhile. I remember there being some spotty things on the first few batches earlier in the year.

What do I need to watch out for before purchasing.

Things I remember where

Saddle screw length to short or something along those lines. Fixed: Mine is from the latest run, they have used longer screws for all the saddles with the exception on the low B and E strings since they aren't necessary for proper intonation.

Bridge pickup placement not being close enough to the bridge Fixed: Proto was the only one with wonky placement, all production ones are fine.

some shoddy pickup routing, or was this just only noticeable on the white models? Fixed: Yep early ones were a little squirrely, mine is fine.

Easily smudged and/or easy to degrade the finish on the white model with normal usage? This one was left off, not sure why. It's a MATTE finish, any time you deal with a satin finish it is going to get rubbed/buffed to glossy/semi-gloss where you're touching it. Wherever your arms or fingers are in constant contact, you're going to run into this on ANY satin/matte finish. That's not a "degradation" issue whatsoever, it's the cost of going with a satin finish on something that is frequently touched. :lol: Yes, ANY satin guitar that you're rubbing your arm (especially if your forearm gets sweaty as well) constantly against the top you will start to see shiny/glossy spots in the top, that's just how it works. :2c:

If any of you fine folks would chime in I would greatly appreciate it.

Currently Im having a hard time finding a site that has pictures up, Im going with white, but I assume the flame does vary and was hoping to have a few samples to choose from. Anybody running a good deal below 999?

Flame definitely does vary on these, mine is not bad, better than some of the initial ones but I've seen a few with even better tops. I bought through Jason and Chad @ Music 49, great deal on the guitar itself and it showed up flawless (well pickup height from the factory was a little off, the bridge pickup is jacked WAY up and the neck pickup is WAY down so the volume imbalance is rather noticeable, but that's not their fault! :lol:). If I buy another one in black (which I might... :rofl:), I plan to order from Music 49 again as they're a small store and really good folks.

Thx

So yeah stating the obvious based on the info provided above, I finally pulled the trigger on one! :lol: Happy to report that while the neck is thin, it's nowhere near as bad as I feared and the shape of the neck carve helps things quite a bit as well. :yesway: Mine feels VERY solid, for what I paid I feel like these guitars are a steal! :D As I already stated before I got the chance to play one, I thought the specs were perfect and after playing one I'm happy to report that Schecter has a real winner on their hands! :hbang: The frets are all perfect, tone is awesome and the extended scale helps keep the low B just a pinch tighter for detuning than my Parker 7 (26.5" vs 25.5" scale) which is great since I planned to use this one for Bb/Drop Ab stuff.

Only minor nitpick is that the black neck binding has a very definite edge between where the finish stops and the neck binding begins, it doesn't typically cause an issue but you can definitely feel it when your hand is near the edge of the neck. :shrug: Like I said, that would be a rather nit-picky item to be honest, the guitar is awesome besides that! Stock pickups are pretty sweet, but I already placed an order for a custom Juggernaut set as I've been curious to try them out finally so I figured this guitar would be a good test bed for that. :cool:

Side note: Does anyone on here know of any place you can find the stock .009-.062 string gauges where you can buy the whole set? I mean I know I could buy a D'Addario EXL125 set to get the .009-.046 part covered and then just buy some .062 singles, but it's always nice to not have to piecemeal sets together. :lol: I really dig how the 9-62 set balances on a 26.5" scale so I'd rather not mess with that beyond changing the intonation down a half step with the same strings. :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
what would be a good switch to replace the one i have? mine is crapping out and i am not too pleased about it--switch to neck pickup and there is no sound, have to fidget it, etc.

Drop one of these guys in there. You'll get a bunch of coil spitting options and its a lot more shallow than the normal ones. I use these and do a coil split between the two humbuckers and get a pretty sweet 4th position single-coil like sound in the middle position.

Its also the ones used on the JPs.

3 way 12 pole switch

gigawhat

All 6s and 7s
Reaction score
The last question was left out because it was edited into the OP after I had already posted my answers, thanks for expounding on my short answers though. I was pretty busy yesterday and just answered the essence of each question.

Sweet that you finally got to try it out and found the neck wasn't too thin!

WE NEED YOUR NGD!

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
The last question was left out because it was edited into the OP after I had already posted my answers, thanks for expounding on my short answers though. I was pretty busy yesterday and just answered the essence of each question.

Sweet that you finally got to try it out and found the neck wasn't too thin!

WE NEED YOUR NGD!

Haha yeah I wasn't sure if you missed it or clipped the quote somehow. :lol: That's my only issue with matte/satin finishes... if you play them enough and rub the top long enough it will turn semi-glossy which looks odd when it's only on one spot of the top. :lol: That being said, I'm okay with it as it feels great on this guitar and I love the look (at least for now :rofl:). :D I'll post the NGD soon, maybe I can get pics up this weekend. I have several NGD's I never posted so maybe I'll do all of them this weekend if the weather is nice. :yesway: I'm REALLY digging the KM7 though, such a sweet guitar! If the 6'er was a baritone I'd probably be grabbing one of those too! ;) Actually, if they do a KM6 Floyd that would be tempting! :idea:

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Haha yeah I wasn't sure if you missed it or clipped the quote somehow. :lol: That's my only issue with matte/satin finishes... if you play them enough and rub the top long enough it will turn semi-glossy which looks odd when it's only on one spot of the top. :lol: That being said, I'm okay with it as it feels great on this guitar and I love the look (at least for now :rofl:). :D I'll post the NGD soon, maybe I can get pics up this weekend. I have several NGD's I never posted so maybe I'll do all of them this weekend if the weather is nice. :yesway: I'm REALLY digging the KM7 though, such a sweet guitar! If the 6'er was a baritone I'd probably be grabbing one of those too! ;) Actually, if they do a KM6 Floyd that would be tempting! :idea:

Dude I'm glad you finally got to try one and dug it.....just goes to show that you can't always tell just by looking at it or comparing necks from other companies. I don't like thin necks at all either, and the KM7 and JL7 both fit me just fine. They're fantastic guitars for the price, huh? I'll watch for the NGD.:shred:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Dude I'm glad you finally got to try one and dug it.....just goes to show that you can't always tell just by looking at it or comparing necks from other companies. I don't like thin necks at all either, and the KM7 and JL7 both fit me just fine. They're fantastic guitars for the price, huh? I'll watch for the NGD.:shred:

Totally! I think the KM7 is one of those serious bang-for-the-buck guitars! The fretwork on mine is fantastic, the neck carve is comfy enough for someone who doesn't like skinny necks but can't deal with a baseball neck on a 7 either, it's a very happy middle-ground so I'm glad I finally decided to just dive in. :lol: I'm also glad I bought from the 2nd run when they had already sorted out some of the kinks like the bridge screw issues. ;) I do dig the new JL7 and since it's supposed to have the same neck carve, I was tempted... not a huge fan of the inlays on that one though. :( Thinking the EMGs and the OFR on that would make for a nice compliment to the KM7, but at the same time I'm still debating if I need another 7 or not really. :rofl:

Now I just need to wait 3-4 weeks for my custom BKPs to arrive! :D I'm actually digging the stock pickups quite a bit, so worst-case scenario if they show up and I'm not blown away, I'd be just fine swapping back to the stock Duncans honestly. I know I love the Sentient neck but the Nazgul bridge seems better than I thought it would be! :D

Drid05

Reaction score
Well.... I have only ever seen 1 other unboxing video.. so I thought I would throw something together today. Its a two parter.. Im going to run this thing through my Kemper when I get a chance and post something up.

So far, it played great right out of the box, I wasnt sure if drum city did a quick setup or it came from the factory that way. I have no issues with the guitar.

Audio clips coming soon..

Schecter Keith Merrow KM-7 Unboxing Pt1 - YouTube

Schecter Keith Merrow KM-7 Unboxing Pt2 - YouTube

Aso

Single Hum Zealot
Reaction score
Since I keep coming back to this thread and I want to pretend to be one of the cool kids, I have a white KM-7 ordered. Would it be wrong to swap pickups for a set of Lundgren M7s or would that be frowned upon?

Chrisjd

Banned
Reaction score
Since I keep coming back to this thread and I want to pretend to be one of the cool kids, I have a white KM-7 ordered. Would it be wrong to swap pickups for a set of Lundgren M7s or would that be frowned upon?

Do what you want. The Nazgul is a wicked sounding pickup. You might want to at least try it out first. The sentient in the neck is the best neck pickup I've used.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
The necks on the JL-7 and the KM-7 are not exactly the same I have both and could tell the difference in a blind test.

I have both as well and I think it's pretty close...at least, neither is more comfortable to me than the other and both of them kick every Ibby 7 neck I've had right in the danglies...

Dude, I just got an M80M with an M8 in it, and 40 minutes with that pickup made me order some M7s to try in my KM7. The Sentient is great but the Lundgren has a depth and clarity under gain that no pickup I've tried has. I say do eet.:hbang:

RustInPeace

Reaction score
Hey guys im having a strange problem with my km7. I just recently swapped out the stock strings for a daddario 10-59 set and whenever I tune the 59 to A it makes this weird buzzing noise across the whole fretboard. If I tune it up or down its fine? Could it just be a bad string?

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
WELP. Push pull pot essentially crapped out on me boys, guess Schecter had to skimp out somewhere right? lol. But yup, either goes low output while in humbucker mode or cuts out. Emailed Schecter about it, it'd be nice if they could just send me a new pot. Any suggestions for good replacements?

chopeth

Reaction score
WELP. Push pull pot essentially crapped out on me boys, guess Schecter had to skimp out somewhere right? lol. But yup, either goes low output while in humbucker mode or cuts out. Emailed Schecter about it, it'd be nice if they could just send me a new pot. Any suggestions for good replacements?

Bourns 17 500kA GTR Stereo Log Pot with Push Pull Switch Plain Shaft 1pc | eBay
2vpiv26.jpg

gigawhat

All 6s and 7s
Reaction score
Yeah, Bourne would work, but if you hold out for Schecter, I imagine they will send you a new pot no problem.

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
I sent Schecter tech support an email and they got back to me with a prompt email; they're sending a new pot no questions asked, pretty happy about that.

elhantiri

Reaction score
Here's a new video where Keith talks a bit about the KM-6... looks gorgeous!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTl2r1VDCuA

I think that guitar companies should seriously start thinking about using Stainless steel frets on 800-1000$ price range guitars, if Schecter can do it, why not other companies too...:agreed::agreed:

EDIT: Looks like it has officially been released:

10644623_946417995375012_1445177244781093296_o.jpg

Guitars : Keith Merrow KM-6
i think that i will never play again a guitar with regular nickel frets!!! Well, unless it's free )))) I was leaning toward carvin since they offer stainless steel frets, recently they added evo gold frets too, now the km-6 seems a real affordable quality alternative! I did notice that many players are picky about tonewoods, electronics, scale...but they aren't aware of the existence or qualities of SS frets! I go through nickel frets like a hot knife through butter, so unless it's SS i won't lay down the cash ))))

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys im having a strange problem with my km7. I just recently swapped out the stock strings for a daddario 10-59 set and whenever I tune the 59 to A it makes this weird buzzing noise across the whole fretboard. If I tune it up or down its fine? Could it just be a bad string?

Since the stock strings are 09-62, that's probably why. :lol: You need to set up the guitar to account for the gauge and tuning change, probably just buzzing because it's a change in both tension and string height that need to be adjusted on the saddle/neck. Did you play with the saddle height/intonation and/or truss rod at all? If not, there's your answer. :yesway: My guess is almost certainly not the string itself being the culprit, probably just a setup tweak is necessary. :)

')