Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ikiharmaa

It's all white.
Reaction score
so these issues people are having with these is kind of offputting, tbh. the black finish on the pickups wearing off to copper, bad wiring, that kind of stuff doesn't exactly thrill me on a $1000 guitar. Maybe i'm just being picky, but i've not had any issues with wiring on guitars from day one on much cheaper guitars. But it's not like that wouldn't be an easy fix, and I would change the pickups anyway, as having some extended time with the nazgul has shown me it's not the pickup for me.

<1000$ guitars from other brands don't have ss frets and aftermarket pickups.

Sure it can be offputting, but besides the used market, these really do seem like the best offer in their price range. I think we're all glad that they're skimping on the electronics instead of the fret dressing :) I don't think you're too picky, but you gotta aknowledge it's a trade-off. Their customer service seems to take care of these things pretty well too, even if that doesn't remove the problem, it does make up for it a little.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Evil Weasel

Reaction score
How sensitive to light are the finishes? Just got a white one yesterday and it's more grey than white. Admittedly this is under artifical light in the grim Scottish winter. I'll see it outside at the weekend

Also has anyone tried these with BKP blackhawks? Have a set lying here but unsure, especially with regards to fitting as someone said earlier they weren't an exact replacement, and the blackhawks have different baseplates from regular BKP I'm sure.

Last edited:

Evil Weasel

Reaction score
Can't wait to plug it in and try it though! I'll get some photos up at the weekend of but I definitely remember the one I tried in store being a lighter colour.

Last edited:

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score

Sure it can be offputting, but besides the used market, these really do seem like the best offer in their price range. I think we're all glad that they're skimping on the electronics instead of the fret dressing :) I don't think you're too picky, but you gotta aknowledge it's a trade-off. Their customer service seems to take care of these things pretty well too, even if that doesn't remove the problem, it does make up for it a little.
That's very true. I suppose it just makes it a harder choice, what with sterling putting out the JP170D(under $1000 with aftermarket pickups) because other than wear, I haven't seen any other benefits of SS frets, I know a lot of people swear they are easier to bend on, but i've never had any trouble bending on NS frets anyway, so while it's a nice touch, it's not something that I was banking on in this price bracket anyway.

Schecter does have amazing customer service, I can't deny that. I'm just hoping these issues improve, and that maybe, if Keith ever decides to push it forward, i'd love to see a KM-7 with a floyd, as that would put the one obvious plus of the sterling to me, as a trem user on equal ground.

But i'm just thinking out loud now. I'll probably end up with one at some point in the next year or so. :)

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
I just snagged a KM7
No toggle issue, no issues at all
Either they fixed it on new batches or I got lucky?
Great axe!

pdbeaton87

Reaction score
My first 7 and I love it! I do have the same issue everyone else is complaining about with the volume pot and switch. It bother's me but, its not a reason that would make me choose another guitar over it. Eventually I will purchase a high-quality pot and switch and have them replaced.

1939551_10152632990393218_9165324283121406727_n.jpg

10685557_10152632990623218_7175074370673999560_n.jpg

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
How sensitive to light are the finishes? Just got a white one yesterday and it's more grey than white. Admittedly this is under artifical light in the grim Scottish winter. I'll see it outside at the weekend

Also has anyone tried these with BKP blackhawks? Have a set lying here but unsure, especially with regards to fitting as someone said earlier they weren't an exact replacement, and the blackhawks have different baseplates from regular BKP I'm sure.

The finish is like a chameleon- lights up in an eerie ghostly way with direct light, then looks a bit gray white in low light. Very cool effect!

Keep us posted on the BK Blackhawk! I like the Nazgul but always go crazy over BK:hbang:

Reaction score
Sorry I couldn't go through all 92 pages, but whats a good price to pay for one of these new? I see most places sell for $999, but was saw people mention they picked them up for 7 or 8 hundred? I'm considering a black KM-7 btw.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
TBH bad wiring isn't really an issue if you have a $15 soldering iron and an hour of patience. It's not like you get a bad guitar. That being a deal breaker is ridiculous considering the wood, woodwork, frets, pickups, and tuners you get.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
^I need a beginner course in soldering. I tend to break things more than fix things in my tool life. I would love to be able to solder in new pickups and skip past tone pots, simple things for most but super overwhelming for me

deltast0rm

Reaction score
Hey guys, does anyone know if the 'Lambo Orange' finish that's coming out will be available in a lefty version?

Cheers!

deltast0rm

Reaction score
Hey guys, does anyone know if the 'Lambo Orange' finish that's coming out will be available in a lefty version?

Cheers!

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score

They're not <1000$ guitars, they're 1300&#8364; guitars. I'd actually love getting an orange one but at this price an LTD seems a way better bet. 1300&#8364; gets you the top end of the LTD series. (The Weinman or Susi for exemple)

TonyGD

The (other) Dude
Reaction score

I would imagine Black Hawks should be a direct fit since the cavities in the KM-7 are routed big enough to fit covered Duncans. Then again only way to really find out is trying to put them in your guitar. They'll either fit or they won't. Not sure if you're referring to my post since mine required routing, but I have them in a Chapman Guitars ML-T7 (also swamp ash body, designed under Keith Merrow's supervision before he got swept up by Schecter) I have a Sentient/Nazgul set in a different guitar and I like them a lot too. Stock Duncans usually isn't something to complain about, but replacing them with Bare Knuckles isn't a bad idea. If I could afford to have Bare Knuckles (the Black Hawk specifically) in all of my guitars, I would.

gigawhat

All 6s and 7s
Reaction score
They're not <1000$ guitars, they're 1300&#8364; guitars. I'd actually love getting an orange one but at this price an LTD seems a way better bet. 1300&#8364; gets you the top end of the LTD series. (The Weinman or Susi for exemple)

A top end LTD that's made in the same factory as the KM-7 is a way better bet how?

I mean, preferences aside, what actual differences are you expecting that would put the LTD over the KM-7? What exactly makes the top end LTD sigs different from the top end Schecter sig, except that the Schecter has SS frets for the same price?

Not trying to be snarky, just genuinely curious.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
That's not the point. The point is the KM is competing, basically, against this:

ESP LTD H-1001FM STBK - Thomann France

Which is half the price. I referred to the two other LTD models because they're the only ones in the same price bracket. For 999$ it's a great bargain, for 1300&#8364; it's pretty meh.
To put it in perspective, would you buy one for 1580$ ?

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
That's not the point. The point is the KM is competing, basically, against this:

ESP LTD H-1001FM STBK - Thomann France

Which is half the price. I referred to the two other LTD models because they're the only ones in the same price bracket. For 999$ it's a great bargain, for 1300€ it's pretty meh.
To put it in perspective, would you buy one for 1580$ ?

')