Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

punisher911

blah blah blah
Reaction score
The frets were crowned, just a bit sharp on the ends. Not bad, but not as smooth as my SE or even my previous KM guitars. Just certain fretting positions I could feel them dig into my hand/fingers. I've owned a black KM7 and a white KM6 mk1.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
@Patricktussel2

I can also see some, what look to be deep, nicks in the bottom fret of that second photo you posted. Man, talk about a lack of QC on that one.

Rev.

Reaction score
As a follow up to my story,

After 8 guitars they were unable to find a single one that had frets finished and passed inspection. Guitar is being refunded and this will be my last attempted schecter purchase after owning 3.

Completely unacceptable quality control and schecter should be ashamed. I sincerely hope that Keith sees this and reconsiders his manufacturer for a mkiii.

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score

After 8 guitars they were unable to find a single one that had frets finished and passed inspection. Guitar is being refunded and this will be my last attempted schecter purchase after owning 3.

Completely unacceptable quality control and schecter should be ashamed. I sincerely hope that Keith sees this and reconsiders his manufacturer for a mkiii.

Yikes, sorry to hear this man, it is a real shame. I was gassing hard for a MKII but now i think i will hold of until i am certain they got their act together.

DIOBOLIC5150

Reaction score

Wow man, I'm so bummed to hear that! To be completely honest, this is the first significant issues I've heard about in regards to the MKII. I've heard nothing but amazing things from people all over the world who managed to find one. All of the specimens I've seen on the shelf have been pretty flawless. My personal MKII's are crazy good, and they're just production versions like everyone else gets.

Sweetwater has very strict QC, so I don't know how you even got one with issues the first time.

All new guitars have some growing pains, but what you've had to deal with is pretty unusual.

I'm going to personally fix this problem and make it right for you. Please PM me your contact info.

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
Baffling. I've owned dozens of schecters, and not one had glaring faults with it. Really hard to imagine eight in a row that fail QC.

Cool on Kieth for being such an upstanding guy though. He's been super cool and proactive with these since the og km7.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
I only own one Schecter so far, a Hellraiser C7, bought it new sight unseen about 2 years ago, and it's flawless! Fret work on it competes with my Carvin DC700. It's really sad to see something like this for the MKii, and I hope Schecter takes care of it.

Kudos to Keith for following up on this.

Reaction score
Next update. Between Keith and schecter they have managed to cut sweetwater out of the mix and replace it directly through schecter.

Perhaps soon I can join the party. :)

Thanks Keith for the help.

dirtool

Reaction score
hello Keith,is there any plan of other colours for km7 mkii?

skmanga

Reaction score
Posted this on the Schecter thread but figure this is a better place!

"Hey guys!
Checking in from the east coast with my new Schecter KM7 KM2.
Love the guitar, plays like a dream! The fretwork is dope and the pickups sound awesome :)

Having an issue with it though..
The vol knob/push pull potentiometer on the guitar is starting to go...
Sucks since it is a new guitar and I hear it was a problem with the KM7 MK1's...

Musicians friend is willing to send me a replacement pot from their site, and since I have no experience in this field I was hoping you guys could steer me in the right direction!

EDIT:
The guitar also came with the neck pickup leaning down towards the bottom of the guitar rather than being set flat.
I am thinking something in there got bent somehow.
Is fixing that as simple as bending it back in place?
Or is the pickup compromised?

Thanks guys! "

Anyone else come across potentiometer issues with the new KM7 MK2?

EDIT 2:
In regards to the frets on my KM7 MK2, everything seems to be in order here!
The ends of the frets are a night and day difference compared to the Ibanez Iron label RGDIX7MPB which had rough ends that could scratch you as you moved up and down the neck..
Great fretwork on my KM7 MK2, SS frets are soo smooth :D

exo

Reaction score
Next update. Between Keith and schecter they have managed to cut sweetwater out of the mix and replace it directly through schecter.

Perhaps soon I can join the party. :)

Thanks Keith for the help.

THIS is why my next 7 string has about a 99.9% chance of being a KM-7. (That .01% chance is because if I win the lottery, it'll be a Jackson Bulb. That's the only way I'm likely to afford one :lol: )

Gotta give stand up guys like Keith and Misha support!

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
Posted this on the Schecter thread but figure this is a better place!

"Hey guys!
Checking in from the east coast with my new Schecter KM7 KM2.
Love the guitar, plays like a dream! The fretwork is dope and the pickups sound awesome :)

Having an issue with it though..
The vol knob/push pull potentiometer on the guitar is starting to go...
Sucks since it is a new guitar and I hear it was a problem with the KM7 MK1's...

Musicians friend is willing to send me a replacement pot from their site, and since I have no experience in this field I was hoping you guys could steer me in the right direction!

EDIT:
The guitar also came with the neck pickup leaning down towards the bottom of the guitar rather than being set flat.
I am thinking something in there got bent somehow.
Is fixing that as simple as bending it back in place?
Or is the pickup compromised?

Thanks guys! "

Anyone else come across potentiometer issues with the new KM7 MK2?

EDIT 2:
In regards to the frets on my KM7 MK2, everything seems to be in order here!
The ends of the frets are a night and day difference compared to the Ibanez Iron label RGDIX7MPB which had rough ends that could scratch you as you moved up and down the neck..
Great fretwork on my KM7 MK2, SS frets are soo smooth :D

The pickup is direct mounted, which means there's usually foam or something on the bottom of the pickup that pushes upwards and maintains the non-wobbly height. There's a possibility that it's shifted somehow causing your pickup to lean. It should be as simple as taking the side screws out, lifting the pickup and maneuvering the foam/whatever's underneath there so it's not lopsided. You won't need to solder anything for that.

The pot is a bit trickier though, especially if you want to replace it with another push/pull. Somebody else can probably give better advice there.

skmanga

Reaction score
I was thinking of having the pot replaced when I have the guitar setup by a pro.

I need some advice on what to replace it with as Musicians Friend is willing to send me one on them.

Its looking like their site is pretty limited though :/

Thanks for the help :)

EDIT:
I actually called Schecter directly over the phone and left a message on the tech dept line.
Was just called back and after describing the issue with the pot, the guy on the phone (forgot his name >__<) said hes gonna ship me out a replacement for free!
Pretty sweet on Schecter part

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Failing pots and bad soldering has been common on Schecters for years. Its ridiculous that its still a regular problem. 2/3 of mine both needed new pots and all the electronics re-done.

Just get a good quality 500K pot. I recommend CTS.

Mattykoda

Reaction score
Stupid question Lorcan but are the CTS pots a direct replacement? You don't need to widen the pot hole on schecters?

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I'm not sure actually. I thought I supplied my own last year but my tech may have instead. I'll need to check.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
I bought CTS push-pull pots recently (from StewMac) and installed them in 2 of my guitars. CTS pot shaft is 1/4", so I had to dremel my LTD Eclipse to widen the holes and now I even need new knobs, just FYI.

EDIT:

I'm referring to the first pot on the left in this image:

CTS_Push_pull_Pots_DPDT.jpg

Latest posts

')