Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gabsonuro

Reaction score
West Coast Guitars in Vancouver. My first time buying there and they were very nice to deal with. Lets see how the whole transaction goes. I also believe that Quest Music has them listed but i do not know if they are in stock there.

sounds like you own one of the original ones, what do you think of it if you do? i had a hellraiser a long time ago that left a sour taste in my mouth (this was around 2011-2012), floyd was awful, had bad frets and the neck profile was not great. Relative to my japan and usa made guitars it was awful, and wasnt that much cheaper (i.e my ESP's blew it out of the water). Im considering a km-7 now cause i don't really feel like spending a bunch on a 7 string considering i am not sure if i am going to use it alot, but if its the same as it used to be ill just spend the extra ~$1000CAD or so on an ibanez RGD7UC and i know it will be awesome

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score
sounds like you own one of the original ones, what do you think of it if you do? i had a hellraiser a long time ago that left a sour taste in my mouth (this was around 2011-2012), floyd was awful, had bad frets and the neck profile was not great. Relative to my japan and usa made guitars it was awful, and wasnt that much cheaper (i.e my ESP's blew it out of the water). Im considering a km-7 now cause i don't really feel like spending a bunch on a 7 string considering i am not sure if i am going to use it alot, but if its the same as it used to be ill just spend the extra ~$1000CAD or so on an ibanez RGD7UC and i know it will be awesome

Yeah I have an original and I love it, its lot of guitar for the money. 2014 was the year Schecter really got their act together. It is Solid, balanced, great hardware and great tuning stability. I also really enjoy the neck, it is thin and comfortable and the compound radius is a very different feel from the Ibanez type necks I was used to.

I also changed the Nazgul for a Pegasus just for a different flavour. I don’t think I will change it in the MKII however.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Yeah I have an original and I love it, its lot of guitar for the money. 2014 was the year Schecter really got their act together. It is Solid, balanced, great hardware and great tuning stability. I also really enjoy the neck, it is thin and comfortable and the compound radius is a very different feel from the Ibanez type necks I was used to.

I also changed the Nazgul for a Pegasus just for a different flavour. I don’t think I will change it in the MKII however.

I'd really like to hear the Pegasus in your KM. Have any sound clips?

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
Weird, that went up on Keith's FB on the 7th...

It's nice that EB are licensing this out, now that they bullied Earvana into obscurity with their massive legal phallus.

Reaction score
Time for an update!

Keith and schecter came through! They went through and worked a new guitar for me. Frets are fantastic! Thank you so much schecter and Keith.

352D2A5C-6216-4CD6-ADFB-1530C4504476_zpsz6ngogsf.jpg

F81140FF-FAB6-41A9-8063-CB20D5517F80_zpsrn6ds33l.jpg

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score
Time for an update!

Keith and schecter came through! They went through and worked a new guitar for me. Frets are fantastic! Thank you so much schecter and Keith.

Delighted for you man, glad you caught a break with this. Its great when people and companies really come through for you.

I am currently waiting for my MkII. The model I was going to get had an issue with the veneer being too thin (never saw it, 2nd hand info) so they did not ship it to me and I am getting a fresh model. Reassuring to know but dear god do I hate waiting!

Reaction score
Delighted for you man, glad you caught a break with this. Its great when people and companies really come through for you.

I am currently waiting for my MkII. The model i was going to get had an issue with the veneer being too thin (never saw it, 2nd hand info) so they did not ship it to me and I am getting a fresh model. Reassuring to know but dear god do i hate waiting!

The replacement I got has the same thing you are referring to. You can definitely see the neck through wenge through the veneer. But it's not enough of an issue to me to even think about.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Screw the guitar, let's talk about that haircut! :hbang:

JustMac

ss not-so-regular
Reaction score
Whoah, I didn't know Keith was (past-tense) bald by choice!

Look at me, commenting on the dudes hair while he's killing on that thing. He's always been a sublime player, but jeez... playing is just tops right now! :hbang:

TheRileyOBrien

Reaction score
Yeah got a load of moaning from a guitar tech when i asked him to switch the Nazgul for the Pegasus. He said needed to bend this and that, i guess the routing or screw positions is not the easiest to work with.

Those pickups should be exactly the same size. Maybe time to find another tech...or learn to solder.

MortenOJ

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a 7-string, and I'm pretty much set on a KM-7. But now with the Mk2 out, with neck-through, is it that much better than the set-neck? It's a bit pricier, but would it be worth the extra money? Have any of you guys played both?

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Those pickups should be exactly the same size. Maybe time to find another tech...or learn to solder.

Haha for real, I dropped a set of covered Juggernauts into my KM7 without any issues at all. Since they use the threaded inserts (greatly appreciated for direct mount setups! :wub:) you have to make sure everything lines up just right, but I was able to install BKPs in mine myself without issue. :shrug:

MattThePenguin

Reaction score
Haha for real, I dropped a set of covered Juggernauts into my KM7 without any issues at all. Since they use the threaded inserts (greatly appreciated for direct mount setups! :wub:) you have to make sure everything lines up just right, but I was able to install BKPs in mine myself without issue. :shrug:

Well, the older KM models had larger routes due to the covered pickups. Blackhawks were drop in for those, but in this guitar the Blackhawks are too big. Really a bummer, been trying to find a way to put them in for over a month now.

TheRileyOBrien

Reaction score
Well, the older KM models had larger routes due to the covered pickups. Blackhawks were drop in for those, but in this guitar the Blackhawks are too big. Really a bummer, been trying to find a way to put them in for over a month now.

The Blackhawks are a funny shape. If I were you I would be looking for some alternative pickups. You can always route the corners of the pickup routes a bit larger...but you would be making the Blackhawks a permanent fixture in that guitar because other pickups would look funny.

Latest posts

')