Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MattThePenguin

Reaction score
The Blackhawks are a funny shape. If I were you I would be looking for some alternative pickups. You can always route the corners of the pickup routes a bit larger...but you would be making the Blackhawks a permanent fixture in that guitar because other pickups would look funny.

I mean, that's the idea

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MattThePenguin

Reaction score
I'm actually a fan of the gloss black, because the matte finish wore off on the old ones and kinda made the guitar look... sweaty? hahaha

BMO

Geetarist
Reaction score
I'm actually a fan of the gloss black, because the matte finish wore off on the old ones and kinda made the guitar look... sweaty? hahaha

Personally I LOVE when matte finish wears out in spots. The guitar takes on your characteristics and playstyle. However, I can see how you wouldn't like it though, all personal Preference!

dirtool

Reaction score
Personally I LOVE when matte finish wears out in spots. The guitar takes on your characteristics and playstyle. However, I can see how you wouldn't like it though, all personal Preference!

I prefer matte finish too,but gloss looks nice too
I like they leave the sides of the head stock unpainted
Hope more colors available soon

dirtool

Reaction score
Schecter-KM7MKII-Ltd-ThruBlackGloss-Poplet1.jpg

eloann

Reaction score
Hey guys

I received a KM-7 MKII yesterday. After much hesitation with a Strandberg I got a good deal on a B-stock with minor cosmetic issues on the back.

While it's a lovely guitar there are a few things which make me unsure this was the right move but as this is my first 7-string I'd like your feedback.

- The neck feels really thin. Does one get used to this?
I mostly play bass and some acoustic, however when it comes to electric guitars I seem to prefer a moderately thin satin neck (think Strat or Charvel). My JTV-89 Variax is a little on the thin side but it works out.

- Even for the most agressive metal, I like the split mode (or the middle position) better than either humbucker, which for some reason lack clarity. This is quite consistent through various patches on my Line 6 Helix. Maybe they're just too hot for me?

- It weighs a ton. Not litterally but at 4kg it's a significant 300 grams heavier than my go-to 5 string bass. Probably not something I'd gig with (which is currently a non-issue as I don't play electric guitar live)

TheRileyOBrien

Reaction score
It is weird that yours is so heavy. I have only played one of these and it wasn't that heavy(it was a 6 but wasn't heavy as far as 6 strings go). The heaviest one that sweetwater has is 7lb 5oz which would be over a pound lighter than yours if its 4kg.

eloann

Reaction score
It is weird that yours is so heavy. I have only played one of these and it wasn't that heavy(it was a 6 but wasn't heavy as far as 6 strings go). The heaviest one that sweetwater has is 7.5lbs which would be a pound lighter than yours if its 4kg.

I did look at Sweetwater's weights before placing my order so I was surprised as well. I might be 100g off as I'm using the bathroom scale and substracting the weight of [me] to that of [me + guitar] but still.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Hey guys

I received a KM-7 MKII yesterday. After much hesitation with a Strandberg I got a good deal on a B-stock with minor cosmetic issues on the back.

While it's a lovely guitar there are a few things which make me unsure this was the right move but as this is my first 7-string I'd like your feedback.

- The neck feels really thin. Does one get used to this?
I mostly play bass and some acoustic, however when it comes to electric guitars I seem to prefer a moderately thin satin neck (think Strat or Charvel). My JTV-89 Variax is a little on the thin side but it works out.

- Even for the most agressive metal, I like the split mode (or the middle position) better than either humbucker, which for some reason lack clarity. This is quite consistent through various patches on my Line 6 Helix. Maybe they're just too hot for me?

- It weighs a ton. Not litterally but at 4kg it's a significant 300 grams heavier than my go-to 5 string bass. Probably not something I'd gig with (which is currently a non-issue as I don't play electric guitar live)

#1 Most people will get used to thin necks after awhile, but it's ultimately preference. It took me a little while to get used to the thinness of my Ibanez RGA121 neck but now I absolutely love it. For some people it's instant, for others, it takes time. You wont know until you give it time. Some people don't like thin necks for various reasons and you may be one of those people.

#2 The Nazgul is a very modern pickup that is high output with a lot of high mids and a tight low end. I've heard some people say the Nazgul is a tight modern sounding pickup, but even though it is tight it doesn't have great string clarity. I've heard demos with people getting nice string clarity out of the Nazgul so it may be how you EQ it and the amp/settings you use. Try different cab models and EQ approaches to see if you can find out how to get tones that you like out of it. Because the Nazgul is a pickup catered to a particular genre you may just not like that approach to pickup sound. Regarding the Sentient, this is a pickup which most people seem to enjoy (regardless of genre) and is supposedly a hybrid between a 59 and Jazz which are both very common pickups in a wide variety of styles. If you're having problems with both pickups then maybe there is a wiring problem?

#3 Wood weight varies quite a bit, even within the same species. If you look at Sweetwater's KM7's (Mark 1 and Mark 2) you will see that they vary widely, from 7-9 lbs. If your KM7 is about 8.8 lbs. then this would appear to be in the normal variance of KM7's. Yes, the Mark 2's seem to generally be lighter than the Mark 1's and your Mark 2 is about one pound more than all the ones Sweetwater has but again weight varies and sometimes you get an instrument that is heavier.

dirtool

Reaction score
^
is that a natural finish or transparent black in the back?

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score
Well my Mark II arrived today and thankfully its a real beauty, the maple top looks great in the natural finish. It feels killer and there are no issues that I can find. The frets are nice and pots and switches are super clean. Also that bevel really adds a bonus comfort level which is great since i play sitting down 90% of the time.

Here is a quick picture next to its older brother.

XhaueIs.jpg

movingpictures

Reaction score
Well my Mark II arrived today and thankfully its a real beauty, the maple top looks great in the natural finish. It feels killer and there are no issues that I can find. The frets are nice and pots and switches are super clean. Also that bevel really adds a bonus comfort level which is great since i play sitting down 90% of the time.

XhaueIs.jpg

Your KM7 mk1 looks cream compared to the strap ends and my KM7. What's up with that?

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Kinda like back in the day when guitars had lacquer finishes that could sometimes change color as they aged.

lundvall

Reaction score

XhaueIs.jpg

Nice! Would love to hear some more thoughts between MKI vs MKII :shred:

FourT6and2

Reaction score
These look interesting. Though I'd be more apt to seriously consider one if:

1. Had Hipshot open-gear locking tuners
2. Had an actual maple top instead of a thin veneer

I like the carbon fiber support rods in the neck, double action truss rod, and truss rod access at the 24th fret. I wish my Mayones Duvells that that.

')