Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
So I've been all bass centric of late and haven't looked at anything guitar wise new for over a year, and neither goes and brings out the RGD slayer the mkii version of his axe and I'm like .... ibanez over here. Which is impressive us I've been an RGD fanboy since the fixed bridge prestige dropped

Now I saw that the KM7 MKII also got a limited run of trans black gloss finish for some locations, and been wondering if they are going to do a trans black for this guitar in the future?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
This followed me home from Gearfest. I was wanting another 7 string after I traded in my Jackson DK-7q for my daughter's Martin. After I played the SC sig baritone, I decided I wanted to try a longer scale. This thing fits the bill.

Happy Father's Day to me :lol:

20160617_230237_zpsctmfdxjj.jpg

20160617_230302_zpsaf6pzhew.jpg

20160617_230332_zpsfeobqomz.jpg

TedintheShed

Reaction score
So, initial impressions. Remember these are simply INITIAL impressions, so my perception may change over time.

The swamp ash body is very resonant- I love this because the body wood selection seems to make a difference in the overall tone of this guitar.

The body is wonderful, and now I understand why folks love them some beveled bodies.

As said previously, seem to be able to see though the flame top and see where the wenge through the top. But I realize that this isn't going to have the same thickness as my $4000 basses, so no worries. :)

I love, love LOVE the neck shape. I came from a Jackson DK-7Q, and it seems the neck is even flatter that it. I compared it directly with some Ibanez 7's, and still thinner. I love that.

I love the tone of wenge. The neck on my custom basses are wenge. I love the feel too. Wenge is a particularly oily wood, and some luthiers don't like to work with it for this reason. This was a great decision for this guitar though!

The choice of hardware is impeccable. This an electronics are where most production guitars skimp to save cost. Not on this guitar.

I am undecided on if I like the pick ups well enough to keep them yet, but my impression is positive thus far, I was pleasantly surprised by the clean tone from the neck pick up when split.

In the end, if this has a reverse in-line head stock (easier to tune, imo) and BKP's, it may as well of been named the "TedintheShed Signature model". Keith did an wonderful job in designing the guitar with Schecter. It was well thought out, and that is something I always look for in ANY purchase I make. The features you get in this guitar is hard pressed to find in guitars twice the price.

Kudos Keith and Schecter- FWIW you are making me believers in your guitars and shifting my impressions of your company! :bowdown:

Mad-Max

Reaction score
This followed me home from Gearfest. I was wanting another 7 string after I traded in my Jackson DK-7q for my daughter's Martin. After I played the SC sig baritone, I decided I wanted to try a longer scale. This thing fits the bill.

Happy Father's Day to me :lol:

20160617_230237_zpsctmfdxjj.jpg

20160617_230302_zpsaf6pzhew.jpg

20160617_230332_zpsfeobqomz.jpg

You must've been the guy I saw playing it when I wanted to try it out for myself! :lol:

Happy NGD man! that guitar should serve you well for a VERY long time :agreed:

TedintheShed

Reaction score
You must've been the guy I saw playing it when I wanted to try it out for myself! :lol:

Happy NGD man! that guitar should serve you well for a VERY long time :agreed:

Yeah, may have been. They pulled the MK II from the warehouse for me, and I liked it. They guy who pulled it told me he had a display model for sale that he would sell me on top of the already ridiculously discounted price. The only difference? Didn't have the original cardboard box.

I can live with that. :cool:

TedintheShed

Reaction score
OKay guys, my research has indicated that the KM-7 comes with an Ernie Ball set, but it looks to be a custom set from 9-62. What are you guys replacing this with? I am looking at D'Addario NYXL 10-59, but would like suggestions.

Also, if anyone drops new pickups in their KM-7 Mk II please let me know how it went. I always wanted to play with a set of Warpigs. :)

FrznTek

Reaction score

bastardbullet

Reaction score
I'm using dunlop heavy core 10-60 set on my mk-I for standard A tuning. Sounds dry, balanced and feels durable. Lasts up to 3-4 weeks.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score

exo

Reaction score
I got one of these and one of my bridge saddles is shorter than the rest?

If it's the low B saddle, that's to give more intonation range on that string. Take a good look at the bridges on the natural and Lambo km7's a little further back up the page. It's supposed to be that way. If it's NOT on the low B, just swap it back to proper position.

Reaction score
If it's the low B saddle, that's to give more intonation range on that string. Take a good look at the bridges on the natural and Lambo km7's a little further back up the page. It's supposed to be that way. If it's NOT on the low B, just swap it back to proper position.

I mean the length of it is physically shorter (I will take a picture soon), not the position. Are you referring to the position only? I think I am misunderstanding. It is the low B one, though.

theicon2125

Reaction score
I mean the length of it is physically shorter (I will take a picture soon), not the position. Are you referring to the position only? I think I am misunderstanding. It is the low B one, though.

This is the way it's supposed to be. If you look at this 8 string bridge you'll see that the 7th and 8th saddles are shorter.

431770TelerikWebUIWebResource.jpg

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score
They're referring to the physical length of the saddle, in which what they said still applies.

Reaction score
This is the way it's supposed to be. If you look at this 8 string bridge you'll see that the 7th and 8th saddles are shorter.

Ahhh. You're right. The MkIIs look the same:
km-7-natural-tilt16.png

My MkI didn't though:
km-7-twht-tilt.png

When I asked him about that, doctor told me that's not uncommon as I got older.
Well, I'm starting to get up there!

Thanks all. Had a minor flip-out moment, but I think this is the way it's supposed to be.

')