Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend Chug

But It's A Dry Chug
Reaction score
I'm stoked! Just took advantage of Sweetwater's 36 month no interest and got a Schecter KM-7! Mk-I! In Trans black!

Here she is! Be in my hands Thursday! :hbang::hbang::hbang:

W14111452-front-large.jpg

W14111452-angle-large.jpg

W14111452-detail3-large.jpg

kabz

Reaction score
W16012171-back-large.jpg

W16012171-angle-large.jpg

W16012171-front-large.jpg

Tried to get the one with the most figuring.

Having a lot of fun with this thing so far.

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
W16012171-back-large.jpg

W16012171-angle-large.jpg

W16012171-front-large.jpg

Tried to get the one with the most figuring.

Having a lot of fun with this thing so far.

When I was at Gearfest, they pulled all 4 of then the had at the time. Not a lot of difference, so I went with the demo.

kabz

Reaction score
I'm enjoying it.

Toying with the idea of seeing if I can get the Bridge sounding even more aggressive, though the Nazgul is a sweet sounding pup.

If anyone knows of any comparisons or sound samples from the swamp ash body KM models, please post away.

I think the one thing I want is clarity in the low end (especially if I play as low as Drop G)

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The Nazguls are supposed to be very aggressive already. A Distortion with more midrange grind. MAYBE the Black Winter will do the trick.

kabz

Reaction score
The Nazguls are supposed to be very aggressive already. A Distortion with more midrange grind. MAYBE the Black Winter will do the trick.

Yeah, I may invest in modeling software or save up for a Kemper or Axe FX 2.

I actually have only been playing it through a Yamaha THR10X so I haven't even hooked up my Boss GT-8 to it, which will probably help me EQ out some of those mids.

Hogie34

Reaction score

I swapped the covered Nazgul/sentient set for a Black winter bridge and uncovered sentient neck in my MK1 . Obviously the difference between the bridge pickups is night and day but what surprised me was the difference between the covered sentient and uncovered. The uncovered sounded substantially fuller and more defined. The Blackwinter is definitely the pickup choice for the MK1 in my book.

I've got an uncovered Nazgul in an old mahogany body ARZ307 and it sounds beastly compared to the covered Nazgul in the MK1. I was chalking it up to the different guitars, scale length etc but I think the tonal difference between the covered and uncovered Nazgul and sentient is pretty substantial.

I've got a 7 MKII coming on Tuesday so I'm interested to see the tonal differences between the neck through, uncovered pickups etc on the MKII compared to the MK1.

Mraz

Reaction score
Hate to re-start an older thread, but do those guitars still have problems with the electronics, wiring, frets and finishes?

I am considering buying this or just ordering a custom Kiesel DC7X (which would cost me about 300-400€ more with shipping and taxes)

Rich5150

Reaction score
I have had my MKII for around a month maybe a month and a half, I've played it a handful of times and the pot is starting to get scratchy. I get that it's an import but for the price they should up the quality of the pots, switches and input jacks. I'm not even bothering with getting a replacement from schecter even though there CS is top notch. I have an rs superpot that im going to install as I hate the push pull function anyway.

Fistertain

Reaction score
I have had my MKII for around a month maybe a month and a half, I've played it a handful of times and the pot is starting to get scratchy. I get that it's an import but for the price they should up the quality of the pots, switches and input jacks. I'm not even bothering with getting a replacement from schecter even though there CS is top notch. I have an rs superpot that im going to install as I hate the push pull function anyway.

I thought a selling point of the MKII was the electronics? Doesn't it have CTS pots and all that jazz?

On a side note, does anyone know if the KM7 FRS has similar electronics problems as the original 2014 KM7?

kabz

Reaction score
I thought a selling point of the MKII was the electronics? Doesn't it have CTS pots and all that jazz?

On a side note, does anyone know if the KM7 FRS has similar electronics problems as the original 2014 KM7?

My volume pot came loose and was spinning 360 degrees upon arrival.

The foam knob protector that comes stock on the guitar (from unboxing videos I have seen)
was not on mine from Sweetwater. Probably due to their setup/check process.

I tightened it with a small watch screwdriver and it works fine.
When coil tapped, depending on my setting, it it very noisy, but I'm not sure how much coil tapping I am going to do with this particular guitar.

I'm happy with it so far after 2 weeks now. The pickups keep surprising me with the tones I can squeeze out of them.
Not sure if upgrading is even necessary at this point.

Gonna slap some heavier 7th and 6th strings on it to see how it performs in Drop G for example.

I have noticed upper fret access isn't as "fast" as lets say a "Petrucci or MAjesty" type neck (totally different instrument I know).
But doing slides up to the 24th fret and tapping up high, I noticed my hand hitting the horn, and getting a little cramped up there.

While this is mostly a guitar for downtuned songs for me, a lot of those songs have dynamic solos (e.g. Jason Richardson stuff), but I'm managing pretty well so far.

I noticed upon looking super closely that the wood at the edge of the frets has the tiniest cracking (very thin) that is on several but not on all.

Not sure how big of a warning sign this is, or if it's just more noticeable because of the natural finish, but I guess this is what "immaculate fretwork" is about.

Seeing Keith's videos, his model has a dark binding on the natural finish, whereas the Korean Made KM-7 mk ii has no binding. Would have been a nice touch.

Small concerns, but I have a couple weeks left to decide if I want to keep it, I'm leaning towards keeping it though.

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
Absolutely no issues with the electronics on my Mk II thus far. I have replace them none the less, with some Warpigs and a push/push pot.

MrWulf

Reaction score
Man, when can the white MK2 arrive? My money cannot get out of my wallet quick enough if it is release.

Seventy

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the MKII is going to be available in any other color options?

I don't mind the natural look although white would be really cool along with a darker wood option.

')