Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the MKII is going to be available in any other color options?

I don't mind the natural look although white would be really cool along with a darker wood option.

A wenge or ebony top would be the shiznitz!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the MKII is going to be available in any other color options?

I don't mind the natural look although white would be really cool along with a darker wood option.

I agree. I am holding out for the MKII in something other than Nat.

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
14292421_1346395058722523_521115548599688522_n.jpg

Merrow just got this piece of heaven.

I'dlove a mk II version with a Floyd

Hogie34

Reaction score
...Seeing Keith's videos, his model has a dark binding on the natural finish, whereas the Korean Made KM-7 mk ii has no binding. Would have been a nice touch...

That's odd. I've watched them and still can't see dark binding. My guitars, MKI & MKII all look exactly like the ones he plays . The MKII has the darker natural binding on the neck and none on the body.

From what I've read and understand, he's not playing a custom shop or anything different than what we all get. I'm sure he gets his pick of the litter though.

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score

I would really like to see an MKII in a wood stain color, sorta like the Cat's Eye Pearl (CEP) that they offer on the Banshee Elites. I wouldn't mind paying the extra bucks for that.

luislais

nothing ever happens
Reaction score
Well, I got a good deal on a B-stock with minor cosmetic issues, so, in a few days I will become a proud owner of a KM-7 MKI in trans black!!!
I decided to buy a MKI when I saw the MKII. I always think that the MKI was awesome, and the MKII seems uglier to my eyes, so that bring me to boy the MKI.

Who of you think that the mk1 is much more beautiful than mk2?

Reverend Chug

But It's A Dry Chug
Reaction score
Well, I got a good deal on a B-stock with minor cosmetic issues, so, in a few days I will become a proud owner of a KM-7 MKI in trans black!!!
I decided to buy a MKI when I saw the MKII. I always think that the MKI was awesome, and the MKII seems uglier to my eyes, so that bring me to boy the MKI.

Who of you think that the mk1 is much more beautiful than mk2?

I actually just got the same guitar (MK-I in Trans-black). And I think the MK-I is much better looking! I love some of the new specs on the MK-II, but I did NOT like the plain, unfinished look of it...So, I say excellent choice!

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
I actually just got the same guitar (MK-I in Trans-black). And I think the MK-I is much better looking! I love some of the new specs on the MK-II, but I did NOT like the plain, unfinished look of it...So, I say excellent choice!

I agree. I like the Specs on the MK-II better, but I am not a fan of yellow guitars. I am sure Schecter will come out with an MK-II in some color eventually. When they do I will be first in line with my money.

Rich5150

Reaction score
Swapped out the coil-tap pot for an RS Guitarworks SuperPot. Now i don't know if its psychological or not but i wasn't digging the Nazgul with the Stock pot, w the new Pot i actually dig it now. That said i have a Pegasus that i still want to try when i do a string change.

kabz

Reaction score
Swapped out the coil-tap pot for an RS Guitarworks SuperPot. Now i don't know if its psychological or not but i wasn't digging the Nazgul with the Stock pot, w the new Pot i actually dig it now. That said i have a Pegasus that i still want to try when i do a string change.

Did the pot significantly affect the tone of the Nazgul? Which specific model did you install?

I just had Sweetwater send me another KM-7 II so I could compare the one they sent me, and I noticed the knob on the new guitar was not loose like the first one they sent.

However, the new guitar (that was supposed to be a replacement) has a knob that sits too high on the body (made sure it was not pulled of course) and when I spin the knob around, you can tell there is a slight "Wobble" so looking at the knob from the top, you can see it rocks on a slight axis.

Moreover, the new guitar they sent had finishing issues. The natural maple top was way less detailed on the replacement, there were scratches along the side of the fretboard (on the luminlay dots) one of the Luminlay dots were on an angle so it was curved around fretboard a bit, rather than on its own plane.
Nut glue stains below nut.
Ebony fingerboard not as uniform in color.

Needless to say I will keep my original guitar, but I'm glad I got a chance to swap it out.

I am still toying with the idea of installing some Juggernauts or Warpigs and a new pot to boot, but still unsure of how much of an improvement I may get in overall output and tone.

Hogie34

Reaction score

I had the same experience with both my KM7 MKI and MKII. The MKI got a Liberator pott and the MKII got a standard Bourn 500k pott. They both sound way louder and clearer on every note and chord. Especially the MKII with the bourn pott.

Rich5150

Reaction score
Did the pot significantly affect the tone of the Nazgul? Which specific model did you install?

I just had Sweetwater send me another KM-7 II so I could compare the one they sent me, and I noticed the knob on the new guitar was not loose like the first one they sent.

However, the new guitar (that was supposed to be a replacement) has a knob that sits too high on the body (made sure it was not pulled of course) and when I spin the knob around, you can tell there is a slight "Wobble" so looking at the knob from the top, you can see it rocks on a slight axis.

Moreover, the new guitar they sent had finishing issues. The natural maple top was way less detailed on the replacement, there were scratches along the side of the fretboard (on the luminlay dots) one of the Luminlay dots were on an angle so it was curved around fretboard a bit, rather than on its own plane.
Nut glue stains below nut.
Ebony fingerboard not as uniform in color.

Needless to say I will keep my original guitar, but I'm glad I got a chance to swap it out.

I am still toying with the idea of installing some Juggernauts or Warpigs and a new pot to boot, but still unsure of how much of an improvement I may get in overall output and tone.

I feel like it did yes, w the stock pot it had this harsh upper mid tone that I just didn't dig. It honestly made me not want to play the guitar. I'm glad to say mine has no finishing issues or anything else that I can see.

This is the pot that I used
http://rs-guitarworks.myshopify.com/products/rs-guitarworks-500k-superpot-short

Rich5150

Reaction score
I had the same experience with both my KM7 MKI and MKII. The MKI got a Liberator pott and the MKII got a standard Bourn 500k pott. They both sound way louder and clearer on every note and chord. Especially the MKII with the bourn pott.

I was thinking of dropping a liberator pot in but I always have RS pots laying around as a just in case.

kabz

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the pots.
Just ordered an RS superpot (short)
So does this one eliminate the Push Pull function altogether? Does that yield better tone because there isn't a split in the wiring?
(curious because I am not well-versed in the electronics side of things)

Rich5150

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the pots.
Just ordered an RS superpot (short)
So does this one eliminate the Push Pull function altogether? Does that yield better tone because there isn't a split in the wiring?
(curious because I am not well-versed in the electronics side of things)

It does eliminate the split, honesty I don't dig that tone anyway. It's not supposed to change the tone but I like it better. I also did not swap the little tone cap that's on the stock pot to the new one.

gujukal

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the KM-7 MKII will fit covered BKP Juggernauts in it? From the pictures it looks like it wont since the covered have way sharper corners than regular pickups.

kabz

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the KM-7 MKII will fit covered BKP Juggernauts in it? From the pictures it looks like it wont since the covered have way sharper corners than regular pickups.

Bump because this is a Good question, I would love to know this too in case I swap my Nazgul out.

Latest posts

')