Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
KM7FR_BODY.jpg

:agreed:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
It's his studio. He's an employee for Seymour Duncan, and he's good with video work, so a lot of Duncan's demos are done there nowadays

Thelamon

Reaction score
Count me in the group with bum volume pot on KM-7 MKII after only a few months; it has a weird dead spot at the top that makes you think you've gone insane when you roll the pot up and strike a chord. I've already ordered replacement everything though, as recommended in the thread.

Bisky

Reaction score
Just got my KM-7 mkii in the mail today and the volume pot is shot. It cuts out the signal completely when you turn it or pull it.

So I need a 500k short shaft pot, correct?

kabz

Reaction score
I bought an RS superpot (short) and had it installed and it's been perfect so far. Much better than the stock push/pull. You can see the conversation in the last couple pages.

kabz

Reaction score
So still not sure if the Bareknuckle pickups will fit properly in the KM-7 II -- not sure how to check the specs on that... anyone tried to swap out for Bareknuckles, also not sure how much fatter covered/uncovered are.
Curious if anyone can shed some light on this for me.
Thanks

Hachetjoel

Ibanez whore
Contributor
Reaction score
i put a covered aftermath in mine because the nazgul wasn't shrieky and piercing enough, and it dropped right in but that was the mk I and nice! always love anything gord olson.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
I would really like to see an MKII in a wood stain color, sorta like the Cat's Eye Pearl (CEP) that they offer on the Banshee Elites. I wouldn't mind paying the extra bucks for that.

I would also like to see the MKII offered in an FR-S variant like the Banshee Elites... A complete merger of the two guitars for 2017 would be awesome! :lol: Cat's Eye Pearl KM-7 MKII FR-S FTW!

I guess really only the headstock and pickups would be much different at that point though...

skmanga

Reaction score
Hey guys, another KM7-MK2 owner with ....ty electronics/wiring...
When i got the guitar, the volume would cut in and out and I would have to hit the guitar to get the signal to come back.. that would usually do the trick.
A friend went in the cavity and taped up a wire or 2 and that seemed to solve the issue.
I called Schecter about the issue and they were nice enough to send a replacement, too bad it was a ....tyer potentiometer than the one that came with the guitar..

I want to have a full re wiring and replace the stock pot for something very high quality.
Any suggestions for a very high quality replacement push pull pot that will fit the KM7-MK2 for a swap?

Thanks!

Zado

Reaction score
VERY high quality you say? Try a Mec pot, those are mounted into my USA Schec. Quite pricey tho

bastardbullet

Reaction score
Hey guys, another KM7-MK2 owner with ....ty electronics/wiring...
When i got the guitar, the volume would cut in and out and I would have to hit the guitar to get the signal to come back.. that would usually do the trick.
A friend went in the cavity and taped up a wire or 2 and that seemed to solve the issue.
I called Schecter about the issue and they were nice enough to send a replacement, too bad it was a ....tyer potentiometer than the one that came with the guitar..

I want to have a full re wiring and replace the stock pot for something very high quality.
Any suggestions for a very high quality replacement push pull pot that will fit the KM7-MK2 for a swap?

Thanks!

Replaced mine (MK1) with a 500k dimarzio push/pull pot. Been almost a year, no complaints at all.

metallifan3091

Reaction score
Hey guys. How does the build quality of the KMs compare to the Banshee Elite series, generally speaking?

I've been waffling back and forth between the two for a long time, but the complaints about KM electronics and the fact that I already have a guitar with a Pegasus/Sentient set are pushing me toward the Banshee.

Thelamon

Reaction score
I ordered the Dimarzio 500K pot, installing this weekend, I can post an update when I've got it in. I've also heard people mention an RS short shaft or CTS pot. All (pretty positive) will require drilling out the hole for the shaft slightly wider.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Hey guys. How does the build quality of the KMs compare to the Banshee Elite series, generally speaking?

I've been waffling back and forth between the two for a long time, but the complaints about KM electronics and the fact that I already have a guitar with a Pegasus/Sentient set are pushing me toward the Banshee.

Theoretically, both guitars are of the highest calibur for Schecter's Diamond Series (Korean-made guitars). Both feature similar high-end specs, like SS frets, etc. As both are made in the same factory by the same people (in the same price range, no less) these guitars should be on-par quality-wise.

Now, with that being said, you must recognize that the same guitar model even can vary in build quality. This is the nature of most products, especially ones that are partially constructed/worked on by human hands. Sometimes you get guitars that turn out better than others, and this goes for any price range.

I say get which guitar interests you more. If pickups are important to you and you want something different from a Pegasus/Sentient then it does make sense to go for the Banshee Elite. However, pickups are easy to change, and its less easy to re-paint, re-finish, or re-shape a guitar. With that being said aside from the wood, body shape, and aesthetics, these guitars are quite similar in many respects.

metallifan3091

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, Akira. I think that it'd really be best for me to play them side by side. I actually prefer the Cat's Eye finish of the Banshee over the natural finish on the KM, so that's another tic in its favor. It's all a bit of a moot point, at least in the short term, because I need to buy a new amp before I get another axe, and it'll be a while before they're both in the budget.

Latest posts

')